Thread: The Two Biggest Chip Fabricators Are in [Sort Of] War Zones

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Default The Two Biggest Chip Fabricators Are in [Sort Of] War Zones

Intel has failed to produce chips with less than 10 nm details, which leave two companies doing it: Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, and Samsung. trump just did not think it was important that chips be made in America(he is not interested in small things).

The danger here for the world economy is these are both in war zones... Well, sort of war zones. The Korean War never officially ended, and in theory could always start up again. Nor did the Chinese Civil War officially end.

Even without a full war, there are severe shortages. Japan is arguing with South Korea, and stopping shipments of needed chemicals. Taiwan is arguing with China, and missing shipments. Recently car factories have been shut for lack of computer chips. Car computer chips are the lowest margin, so the first to be cut.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-01-2021), Jack (03-01-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

The gathering failure of Intel in some ways looks a lot like the failure at BOEING.....it is just shocking how fast and how badly America has rotted out.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

BTW: Taiwan has a major water shortage going on, which might become a Big Fucking Deal for the chip makers.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    BTW: Taiwan has a major water shortage going on, which might become a Big Fucking Deal for the chip makers.
    We all like to see multiple sources for the things we need. Two sources is not enough. There are an infinite number of unknown things that could go wrong.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-01-2021), Jack (03-01-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The gathering failure of Intel in some ways looks a lot like the failure at BOEING.....it is just shocking how fast and how badly America has rotted out.
    When Intel nearly missed the bus back in the 1990's, Clinton did whatever it took to keep America still in the running. I remember him using the Air Force to fly emergency needed equipment to its fabricating facility.

trump did not see the importance of keeping Intel in the running.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-01-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Embracing isolationism without the capability of comprehensive independence tends to cause problems.
    Who could ever foresee that?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-01-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-01-2021)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Embracing isolationism without the capability of comprehensive independence tends to cause problems.
    Who could ever foresee that?
    Certainly not the former #IMPOTUSx2.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-01-2021)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another good reason for people to follow me and buy some Micron! Pump up my price baby!

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Intel has failed to produce chips with less than 10 nm details, which leave two companies doing it: Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, and Samsung. trump just did not think it was important that chips be made in America(he is not interested in small things).

The danger here for the world economy is these are both in war zones... Well, sort of war zones. The Korean War never officially ended, and in theory could always start up again. Nor did the Chinese Civil War officially end.

Even without a full war, there are severe shortages. Japan is arguing with South Korea, and stopping shipments of needed chemicals. Taiwan is arguing with China, and missing shipments. Recently car factories have been shut for lack of computer chips. Car computer chips are the lowest margin, so the first to be cut.

"Strategic Industries and Economic Security"
    https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/ot...-security-sies

The Trumptopians will probably call this 'Communism', but we need to start ramping this up. (Especially in the area of 5G)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When Intel nearly missed the bus back in the 1990's, Clinton did whatever it took to keep America still in the running. I remember him using the Air Force to fly emergency needed equipment to its fabricating facility.

trump did not see the importance of keeping Intel in the running.
    Intel managements lack of competence is so far as I know a more recent problem. They are now considering outsourcing manufacturing because just like BOEING they have lost competence at building the product they sell. Like BOEING they have also lost competence at designing the products they sell as well.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Intel managements lack of competence is so far as I know a more recent problem. They are now considering outsourcing manufacturing because just like BOEING they have lost competence at building the product they sell. Like BOEING they have also lost competence at designing the products they sell as well.
    They are both high development cost industries, where they need to invest almost everything from this generation to develop the next generation. If even one generation goes wrong, it is a disaster that they may not be able to come back from. Both have been extremely competent in every generation, but one... Which is going to kill both if we allow them to die. Then Europe will make our planes, and East Asia will make our computer chips.

And of course the Vulture Capitalists in the Republican Party will rejoice. They only see companies as having any worth along a horizon of a year or so, so high development cost industries are terrible for them. trump will also rejoice, because he likes industries that he can borrow a lot of money, and walk off with it. American workers will be worse off, and there will be far less paid in taxes... But that is also a boon for Republicans.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They are both high development cost industries, where they need to invest almost everything from this generation to develop the next generation. If even one generation goes wrong, it is a disaster that they may not be able to come back from. Both have been extremely competent in every generation, but one... Which is going to kill both if we allow them to die. Then Europe will make our planes, and East Asia will make our computer chips.

And of course the Vulture Capitalists in the Republican Party will rejoice. They only see companies as having any worth along a horizon of a year or so, so high development cost industries are terrible for them. trump will also rejoice, because he likes industries that he can borrow a lot of money, and walk off with it. American workers will be worse off, and there will be far less paid in taxes... But that is also a boon for Republicans.
    And you started so good too!

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

GM extends production cuts due to chip shortage, Stellantis warns of lingering pain

GM said it would extend downtime at plants in Fairfax, Kansas, and Ingersoll, Ontario, to at least mid-April, and in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, through the end of March. In addition, it will idle its Gravatai plant in Sao Paulo, Brazil, in April and May.

The Detroit automaker had previously extended production cuts at three North American plants into mid-March and said vehicles at two other plants would only be partially built. Following Wednesday’s cuts, forecasting firm AutoForecast Solutions estimated GM could lose more than 216,000 units globally due to the shortage.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN2AV1QS

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, I mentioned that. Car computer chips are the lowest margin computer chips, so are the first to show shortages.

If there are problems in either Korea, or Taiwan, it will get far, far worse.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, I mentioned that. Car computer chips are the lowest margin computer chips, so are the first to show shortages.

If there are problems in either Korea, or Taiwan, it will get far, far worse.
    I tend To doubt that very many people know that China went from being concerned about keeping people employed, about the pressures this would put on the political system, to having a massive labor shortage because the factories are overloaded with orders Post Pandemic.

Also know that the American ports are overloaded, there are now routinely 40/50/60 ships waiting at sea to get into the Southern California ports...China and Asia has certainly won the Pandemic, and big!

That's the problem....too many Westerners with money and lots of time on their hands because they now either work from home and dont have commute time, or they dont work at all.

And they are buying all kinds of shit!