Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda, ParachuteAdams and Son of the Revolution

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Origin of Life

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Who mentioned "omnipotence or omniscience?" I certainly didn't.

Okay, take a secular approach. That denies that there could be the possibility of something or someone else in the universe that's intelligent and capable of travelling to Earth. It doesn't require anything approaching religious belief to accept that as a possibility.
    Secularism doesn't deny the plausibility of space travel. The concept of infinity strongly suggests other life forms somewhere.
    While we cannot presently imagine the technology required to transport the life forms from one life supporting place to another many light years away,
    all taking place during the finite lifetime of the traveler,
    nor the willingness of any sentient being to live it's entire life traveling on a spacecraft so that a further generation could explore something,
    there are many things existing today that once could not have been imagined.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Okay, you want to believe that it all happened by random chance on the basis of known chemistry, biology, and physics. I added in the possibility that someone deliberately stirred the witch's caldron to make it happen. It's certainly possible there is other intelligent life in the universe. I'm not counting that out as a possibility, no "hocus pocus" involved.
    I was being facetious when I posted that hocus pocus remark, and I really didn't think that you would take it seriously; like I said, your opinion is as good as anybody else's.
    Last edited by Trumpet; 03-02-2021 at 06:25 AM.
    Lock Him Up

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-01-2021)

4. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

We really don't know if it is miraculous. For all we know, some intelligent species has done this in a whole bunch of places for whatever reason. We also don't know how we'd stack up with other intelligent species elsewhere in the universe since we have yet to meet any.
    Okay, but that sounds more like a mechanism than a cause. If our planet were seeded by aliens, that is a mechanism for the delivery of life to earth. Presumably, biomolecules, aka life, itself in such a scenario still simply requires the laws of chemistry and physics for its emergence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (03-01-2021)

6. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

I subscribe to the Ancient Alien Theory myself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-01-2021)

8. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,586 Times in 51,899 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    I subscribe to the Ancient Alien Theory myself.
    I used to during the Von Daniken craze.

Although there's scant evidence of either, I'm more inclined to believe in ancient civilizations than ancient aliens.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (03-01-2021)

10. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I used to during the Von Daniken craze.

Although there's scant evidence of either, I'm more inclined to believe in ancient civilizations than ancient aliens.
    There's also the possibility that ancient civilizations had technology that was buried.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-01-2021)

12. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    There's also the possibility that ancient civilizations had technology that was buried.
    Agreed. Anything on the level of the bronze or iron age would be extremely significant.

Mankind have been around for over 200,000 years, up to 300,000. That's a lot of time for even modest civilizations with domesticated animals, crops and metal working several times over. Say 10,000 years each.

Famine, pestilence and war could easily destroy an entire civilization. Did anyone ever figure out what happened with the Anasazi?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...sazi-85274508/
    The airy settlement that we explored had been built by the Anasazi, a civilization that arose as early as 1500 B.C. Their descendants are today’s Pueblo Indians, such as the Hopi and the Zuni, who live in 20 communities along the Rio Grande, in New Mexico, and in northern Arizona. During the 10th and 11th centuries, ChacoCanyon, in western New Mexico, was the cultural center of the Anasazi homeland, an area roughly corresponding to the Four Corners region where Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico meet. This 30,000-square-mile landscape of sandstone canyons, buttes and mesas was populated by as many as 30,000 people. The Anasazi built magnificent villages such as ChacoCanyon’s Pueblo Bonito, a tenth-century complex that was as many as five stories tall and contained about 800 rooms. The people laid a 400-mile network of roads, some of them 30 feet wide, across deserts and canyons. And into their architecture they built sophisticated astronomical observatories.

For most of the long span of time the Anasazi occupied the region now known as the Four Corners, they lived in the open or in easily accessible sites within canyons. But about 1250, many of the people began constructing settlements high in the cliffs—settlements that offered defense and protection. These villages, well preserved by the dry climate and by stone overhangs, led the Anglo explorers who found them in the 1880s to name the absent builders the Cliff Dwellers.

Toward the end of the 13th century, some cataclysmic event forced the Anasazi to flee those cliff houses and their homeland and to move south and east toward the Rio Grande and the Little Colorado River. Just what happened has been the greatest puzzle facing archaeologists who study the ancient culture. Today’s Pueblo Indians have oral histories about their peoples’ migration, but the details of these stories remain closely guarded secrets. Within the past decade, however, archaeologists have wrung from the pristine ruins new understandings about why the Anasazi left, and the picture that emerges is dark. It includes violence and warfare—even cannibalism—among the Anasazi themselves. “After about A.D. 1200, something very unpleasant happens,” says University of Colorado archaeologist Stephen Lekson. “The wheels come off.”

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I'm taking Physical Anthropology this semester
    Last edited by Doc Dutch; 03-01-2021 at 06:06 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (03-01-2021)

14. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I currently lean towards number two, but keep an open mind.
    It would be nice if we had more intel on emergence: the transition from non-life to life. There is zero chance something as mind boggling complex as even a single eukaryotic cell just appeared on the scene without an incredible sequence of interim events. Unless we were seeded from another planetary body.
    I would be inclined to go with #3. Not in my lifetime, nor even in the next few generations, but at some point, I believe we will discover that the universe is teeming with life.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

AProudLefty (03-01-2021)

16. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

great points

What is weird to me is that even after 4 billion years, life apparently only evolved once on earth. Every living thing today is a genetic descendent of those first microbes from 3.8 billion years ago.

I just wonder why life did not evolve more than once on earth? If life is so resilient, why didn't different genetic strains of life evolve, or why didn't entirely different life forms evolve here?
    Conditions were conducive only for one?

17. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah. There is no reason why various origins couldn't have arisen. There were probably hundreds of thousands of soups.

18. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Conditions were conducive only for one?
    For sure.

Maybe DNA-based life is the only plausible form of life for Earth's environment.

But four billion years is a long time, and if the laws of chemistry and physics are so conducive to the emergence of life, it just seems a little weird that in all that vast depth of time life only evolved once, and it evolved based on deoxyribonucleic acid.

If I were working in the fields of abiogenesis and astrobiology, these would be my working hypotheses:

In four billion years, life only evolved once on earth, suggesting that the evolution of life is rare and requires a series of highly unlikely chemical and physical reactions.

Maybe DNA-based life is the only plausible form of life (this seems a little weird given how complex and versatile carbon chemistry is).

Maybe environmental conditions on earth for some reason inevitably lead to DNA-based life.

Maybe life evolved more than once on earth, but we just have not seen, or looked for the evidence.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

domer76 (03-02-2021)

20. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

For sure.

Maybe DNA-based life is the only plausible form of life for Earth's environment.

But four billion years is a long time, and if the laws of chemistry and physics are so conducive to the emergence of life, it just seems a little weird that in all that vast depth of time life only evolved once, and it evolved based on deoxyribonucleic acid.

If I were working in the fields of abiogenesis and astrobiology, these would be my working hypotheses:

In four billion years, life only evolved once on earth, suggesting that the evolution of life is rare and requires a series of highly unlikely chemical and physical reactions.

Maybe DNA-based life is the only plausible form of life (this seems a little weird given how complex and versatile carbon chemistry is).

Maybe environmental conditions on earth for some reason inevitably lead to DNA-based life.

Maybe life evolved more than once on earth, but we just have not seen, or looked for the evidence.
    Evidence currently states life only evolved on Earth.

21. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Evidence currently states life only evolved on Earth.
    Yes, this whole topic is sheer speculation, but arm waving and conjecture is a fun part of the scientific tradition.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-01-2021)

23. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    I would be inclined to go with #3. Not in my lifetime, nor even in the next few generations, but at some point, I believe we will discover that the universe is teeming with life.
    God's been busy.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

24. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, this whole topic is sheer speculation, but arm waving and conjecture is a fun part of the scientific tradition.
    The facts speak for themselves: There is no proof of life in the Universe except on Earth.