Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda, ParachuteAdams and Son of the Revolution

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Origin of Life

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I currently lean towards number two, but keep an open mind.
    It would be nice if we had more intel on emergence: the transition from non-life to life. There is zero chance something as mind boggling complex as even a single eukaryotic cell just appeared on the scene without an incredible sequence of interim events. Unless we were seeded from another planetary body.
    No #4?

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,795 Times in 32,158 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Evidence currently states life only evolved on Earth.
    incorrectly stated......the fact that we only have evidence of life on earth leads to no conclusions at all that it is the only place where there is life......it merely shows that its the only place where we evidence of it.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

The facts speak for themselves: There is no proof of life in the Universe except on Earth.
    Out of the zillions of known galaxies you think there's only one planet that life inhabits?

4. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

The facts speak for themselves: There is no proof of life in the Universe except on Earth.
    What makes you think there's proof of life here on Earth?

5. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Not a bad point, but the caveat is that only hydrogen and helium condensed from the big bang. Carbon, phosphorus, nitrogen, and associated organic compounds ultimately were manufactured in super novas.

The problem is not with the building blocks of life - organic compounds are ubiquitous in the universe. The challenge is how did these molecules assemble themselves into exceedingly complex, self-replicating cells. Even after 70 years of intensive study, it remains a mystery.
    Supernovae are not uncommon so we're back to nothing unusual about Earth. I understand your question but I've also read through the rest of the thread and there are a couple of points that I have some thoughts on.

1) Why has life not re-emerged?

I'm not a super-scientist but my guess is that the conditions necessary for the emergence of life are not the same as the conditions necessary for the flourishing of life...IOW the emergence of life guarantees life won't emerge again.

2) It took 4 billion years for advanced life to come to be.

We actually don't know this to be true. Anything older than 18,000 years is most likely under about 600 feet of water so there's a lot we don't know about our past. We do not have eyes to see.

Another question, and a good one, is how did intelligent life evolve at all? I don't know, but it did and I doubt that is unique because if it happened once it assuredly happened more than once, perhaps not on Earth but the Universe is a big sandbox.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

6. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,177 Times in 10,395 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep. At one time, the facts were that we were also the center of the universe. Sounds similar.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Cypress (03-02-2021)

8. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,177 Times in 10,395 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Well, intelligent life anyway.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

AProudLefty (03-02-2021), Doc Dutch (03-02-2021)

10. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 26 Posts

Is "4 billion" just a marker of scale or do they literally mean 4 Billion year ago??

LIFE IS SHORT - SMILE WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TEETH.

we must all learn to hear what we do not like - the questions is not, "is it pleasant?" but, "is it true?"

11. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,560 Times in 52,766 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cordeela View Post
    Is "4 billion" just a marker of scale or do they literally mean 4 Billion year ago??
    Are you talking about the beginnings of life on Earth? That would be literally approximately four billion years ago; the planet itself is approx. 5 billion years old.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (03-02-2021), Lightbringer (03-03-2021)

13. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,298 Times in 27,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Supernovae are not uncommon so we're back to nothing unusual about Earth. I understand your question but I've also read through the rest of the thread and there are a couple of points that I have some thoughts on.

1) Why has life not re-emerged?

I'm not a super-scientist but my guess is that the conditions necessary for the emergence of life are not the same as the conditions necessary for the flourishing of life...IOW the emergence of life guarantees life won't emerge again.

2) It took 4 billion years for advanced life to come to be.

We actually don't know this to be true. Anything older than 18,000 years is most likely under about 600 feet of water so there's a lot we don't know about our past. We do not have eyes to see.

Another question, and a good one, is how did intelligent life evolve at all? I don't know, but it did and I doubt that is unique because if it happened once it assuredly happened more than once, perhaps not on Earth but the Universe is a big sandbox.
    That is the 64,000 dollar question: is the emergence ofnlife exceedingly rare, and necessitates a highly improbable series of chemical and physical reactions? Or do chemistry and physics inevitably lead to the emergence of life given favorable environmental conditions?

It is established fact that the earth is older than four billion years, based on radiometric dating of continental rocks and meteorites.

It is known with a high degree of confidence that microbial life emerged 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago, based on microfossils and isotopic biosignatures in Archean rocks of Greenland and Australia

I agree and hope that there could be life beyond earth. But I am dubious that is is ubiquitous. I lean towards it being fairly rare.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Lightbringer (03-03-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-03-2021)

15. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,648 Times in 51,929 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    Out of the zillions of known galaxies you think there's only one planet that life inhabits?
    No but there is ZERO evidence life exists elsewhere. Fascinating, eh?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

16. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Yep. At one time, the facts were that we were also the center of the universe. Sounds similar.
    Those were observations, not facts. It wasn't a "fact" that the Earth was flat but some people thought it was flat. Not all. Many ancient peoples understood that the world might be round such as observing the north star sink below the northern horizon when heading south, the round shadow on the Moon during a Lunar eclipse and that two sticks of the same length above the ground cast slightly different shadows at noon when they were several miles North-South of each other.

The fact is that, despite decades of searching, we've yet to find signs of life anywhere in the Universe, much less our own Solar System.

That said, "An absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence".

17. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    incorrectly stated......the fact that we only have evidence of life on earth leads to no conclusions at all that it is the only place where there is life......it merely shows that its the only place where we evidence of it.......
    Only idiots conclude such a thing. The fact remains Earth is the only place with evidence of life. No projections please.

18. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Cogito, ergo sum.

Not sure about the rest of you.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (03-02-2021)

20. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,298 Times in 27,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

that is why I am one of the few on the thread to suggest life in the galaxy might be rare; I am erring on the side of caution, and recognizing that the jump from organic molecules to complex, self-replicating microbes was a one-time event on Earth in its 4.5 billion year history.

Lacking the ability for interstellar travel, our best bet may be to look for biosignatures in the atmospheres of Earth-like exoplanets, like free oxygen.. We should have that capability in the next decade.

I am not ruling out extinct or current microbial life on Mars, the moons of Saturn and Jupiter. I am just not going to get my hopes up too high