Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda, ParachuteAdams and Son of the Revolution

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Origin of Life

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,635 Times in 51,923 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    that is why I am one of the few on the thread to suggest life in the galaxy might be rare; I am erring on the side of caution, and recognizing that the jump from organic molecules to complex, self-replicating microbes was a one-time event on Earth in its 4.5 billion year history.

Lacking the ability for interstellar travel, our best bet may be to look for biosignatures in the atmospheres of Earth-like exoplanets, like free oxygen.. We should have that capability in the next decade.

I am not ruling out extinct or current microbial life on Mars, the moons of Saturn and Jupiter. I am just not going to get my hopes up too high
    Agreed life is likely out there but for some reason it's very difficult to find. If it was abundant, we should have found some indications of life elsewhere.

That's one of the main missions of Perseverance: to continue looking for life.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars-explorati...ions/mars2020/
    The mission addresses high-priority science goals for Mars exploration, including key questions about the potential for life on Mars. Perseverance takes the next step by not only seeking signs of habitable conditions on Mars in the ancient past, but also searching for signs of past microbial life itself.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,176 Times in 10,394 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Those were observations, not facts. It wasn't a "fact" that the Earth was flat but some people thought it was flat. Not all. Many ancient peoples understood that the world might be round such as observing the north star sink below the northern horizon when heading south, the round shadow on the Moon during a Lunar eclipse and that two sticks of the same length above the ground cast slightly different shadows at noon when they were several miles North-South of each other.

The fact is that, despite decades of searching, we've yet to find signs of life anywhere in the Universe, much less our own Solar System.

That said, "An absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence".
    Sure, we can play that game. There is no observation of extraterrestrial life.

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Agreed life is likely out there but for some reason it's very difficult to find. If it was abundant, we should have found some indications of life elsewhere.

The mission addresses high-priority science goals for Mars exploration, including key questions about the potential for life on Mars. Perseverance takes the next step by not only seeking signs of habitable conditions on Mars in the ancient past, but also searching for signs of past microbial life itself.
    your a moron dutch a real moron you know that. we have not ventured past them moon with a manned space mission. the nearest star to us that could have life is over 4 light years away and there are billions of stars alone in the milky way and billions of galaxy's in the universe .We can only see a bit over 13 billion light years away . No one reallyu knows how big the universe is.

Your assuming that intelligent life uses the same method of communication as we do it could take billions of years for a civilization to even receive a message from up or send one to use even if we used the same forms of communication.

Other civilizations capable of it could of died off billions of years ago or still be developing to reach that level..
    we have only had the ability to send radio waves into space for a blink of a eye time wise .

you seem to have comprehension of the time and distances and technology involved , typical democrat.

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

No but there is ZERO evidence life exists elsewhere. Fascinating, eh?
    No physical evidence because it's too far away, and always will be. The evidence that we have is merely mathematical.

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,288 Times in 27,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

A good insight, but to be fair, we have only looked for life in an infinitesimally small part of the galaxy: one planet besides earth in our solar system, and SETI has only looked at the electromagnetic radio wave signatures of only fraction of nearby star systems. There are hundreds of billions of star systems in the milky way, and hundreds of trillions of stars in the observable universe.

That does not even rank as high as a needle in a haystack.
    Last edited by Cypress; 03-03-2021 at 09:54 AM.

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    No physical evidence because it's too far away, and always will be. The evidence that we have is merely mathematical.
    You know that's the same logic the Native Americans used about Eurotrash, right?

Do you recall what Stephen Hawking said about it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-04-2021)

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You know that's the same logic the Native Americans used about Eurotrash, right?

Do you recall what Stephen Hawking said about it?
    I don't know where you're going with the 'same logic" comment. As if that is relevant, which it is not.

Regarding Hawkins, "appeal to authority", and in my opinion he was overrated anyway.

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't know where you're going with the 'same logic" comment. As if that is relevant, which it is not.

Regarding Hawkins, "appeal to authority", and in my opinion he was overrated anyway.
    Sorry man, you lost me. What are you trying to say? That other civilizations can or can't exist?....but they'll never be able to contact us or us them?

Why can't they contact us or vice versa?

10. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sorry man, you lost me. What are you trying to say? That other civilizations can or can't exist?....but they'll never be able to contact us or us them?

Why can't they contact us or vice versa?
    Dude, there are trillions of galaxies in the universe, probably many like ours, and ours has over 2000 solar systems. So the chance of life on another planet somewhere is mathematically very high if not definite. All too far away for any communication.

11. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Dude, there are trillions of galaxies in the universe, probably many like ours, and ours has over 2000 solar systems. So the chance of life on another planet somewhere is mathematically very high if not definite. All too far away for any communication.
    Agreed. Weren't we were agreeing that the math is based on guesses?

If you find a single weed in your yard, it's a pretty good fucking guess you have more. If you never have weeds in your yard. Ever. No matter how hard you search, by what logic do you deduce the neighbor has weeds? Did you see them? Do the math.

12. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If you find a single weed in your yard, it's a pretty good fucking guess you have more. If you never have weeds in your yard. Ever. No matter how hard you search, by what logic do you deduce the neighbor has weeds? Did you see them? Do the math.
    I think your analogy is poorly thought out at best.

Here on planet Earth scientists have found life just about everywhere. Scientists use these life forms to to clean up wastes, manufacture of foods, beverages, medicines. There are even bacteria that consume hazardous materials such as spilled petroleum n soils and groundwater. In my studies and career I've come to the conclusion that if there is a source of energy, then there will be a life form to consume it.

13. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think your analogy is poorly thought out at best.

Here on planet Earth scientists have found life just about everywhere. Scientists use these life forms to to clean up wastes, manufacture of foods, beverages, medicines. There are even bacteria that consume hazardous materials such as spilled petroleum n soils and groundwater. In my studies and career I've come to the conclusion that if there is a source of energy, then there will be a life form to consume it.
    This is Earth. So far no life on any other planet in the Solar System despite decades of looking. No signs of past life either.

14. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is Earth. So far no life on any other planet in the Solar System despite decades of looking. No signs of past life either.
    Nice try at ignoring my argument completely.

15. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nice try at ignoring my argument completely.

That's the problem. I can't figure out what the fuck your argument is. I even restated it and you just ignored it. Do you have an argument?

16. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's the problem. I can't figure out what the fuck your argument is. I even restated it and you just ignored it. Do you have an argument?
    It's all there for you to re-read and try to absorb it a second time.