Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Gin Saké, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, Primavera, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and Son of the Revolution


Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 157

Thread: Origin of Life

  1. #136 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36,330
    Thanks
    10,640
    Thanked 15,902 Times in 12,323 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    that is why I am one of the few on the thread to suggest life in the galaxy might be rare; I am erring on the side of caution, and recognizing that the jump from organic molecules to complex, self-replicating microbes was a one-time event on Earth in its 4.5 billion year history.

    Lacking the ability for interstellar travel, our best bet may be to look for biosignatures in the atmospheres of Earth-like exoplanets, like free oxygen.. We should have that capability in the next decade.

    I am not ruling out extinct or current microbial life on Mars, the moons of Saturn and Jupiter. I am just not going to get my hopes up too high
    Agreed life is likely out there but for some reason it's very difficult to find. If it was abundant, we should have found some indications of life elsewhere.

    That's one of the main missions of Perseverance: to continue looking for life.

    https://mars.nasa.gov/mars-explorati...ions/mars2020/
    The mission addresses high-priority science goals for Mars exploration, including key questions about the potential for life on Mars. Perseverance takes the next step by not only seeking signs of habitable conditions on Mars in the ancient past, but also searching for signs of past microbial life itself.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  2. #137 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    43,221
    Thanks
    10,777
    Thanked 11,541 Times in 8,596 Posts
    Groans
    43
    Groaned 4,525 Times in 3,858 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Those were observations, not facts. It wasn't a "fact" that the Earth was flat but some people thought it was flat. Not all. Many ancient peoples understood that the world might be round such as observing the north star sink below the northern horizon when heading south, the round shadow on the Moon during a Lunar eclipse and that two sticks of the same length above the ground cast slightly different shadows at noon when they were several miles North-South of each other.

    The fact is that, despite decades of searching, we've yet to find signs of life anywhere in the Universe, much less our own Solar System.

    That said, "An absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence".
    Sure, we can play that game. There is no observation of extraterrestrial life.

  3. #138 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    4,781
    Thanks
    926
    Thanked 670 Times in 584 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 39 Times in 39 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed life is likely out there but for some reason it's very difficult to find. If it was abundant, we should have found some indications of life elsewhere.

    That's one of the main missions of Perseverance: to continue looking for life.

    https://mars.nasa.gov/mars-explorati...ions/mars2020/
    The mission addresses high-priority science goals for Mars exploration, including key questions about the potential for life on Mars. Perseverance takes the next step by not only seeking signs of habitable conditions on Mars in the ancient past, but also searching for signs of past microbial life itself.
    your a moron dutch a real moron you know that. we have not ventured past them moon with a manned space mission. the nearest star to us that could have life is over 4 light years away and there are billions of stars alone in the milky way and billions of galaxy's in the universe .We can only see a bit over 13 billion light years away . No one reallyu knows how big the universe is.


    Your assuming that intelligent life uses the same method of communication as we do it could take billions of years for a civilization to even receive a message from up or send one to use even if we used the same forms of communication.

    Other civilizations capable of it could of died off billions of years ago or still be developing to reach that level..
    we have only had the ability to send radio waves into space for a blink of a eye time wise .

    you seem to have comprehension of the time and distances and technology involved , typical democrat.

  4. #139 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    33,867
    Thanks
    20,199
    Thanked 11,149 Times in 8,641 Posts
    Groans
    4,032
    Groaned 1,174 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    No but there is ZERO evidence life exists elsewhere. Fascinating, eh?
    No physical evidence because it's too far away, and always will be. The evidence that we have is merely mathematical.

  5. #140 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    34,430
    Thanks
    16,762
    Thanked 22,758 Times in 11,712 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,276 Times in 2,043 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed life is likely out there but for some reason it's very difficult to find. If it was abundant, we should have found some indications of life elsewhere.

    That's one of the main missions of Perseverance: to continue looking for life.

    https://mars.nasa.gov/mars-explorati...ions/mars2020/
    The mission addresses high-priority science goals for Mars exploration, including key questions about the potential for life on Mars. Perseverance takes the next step by not only seeking signs of habitable conditions on Mars in the ancient past, but also searching for signs of past microbial life itself.
    A good insight, but to be fair, we have only looked for life in an infinitesimally small part of the galaxy: one planet besides earth in our solar system, and SETI has only looked at the electromagnetic radio wave signatures of only fraction of nearby star systems. There are hundreds of billions of star systems in the milky way, and hundreds of trillions of stars in the observable universe.

    That does not even rank as high as a needle in a haystack.
    Last edited by Cypress; 03-03-2021 at 08:54 AM.

  6. #141 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36,330
    Thanks
    10,640
    Thanked 15,902 Times in 12,323 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    No physical evidence because it's too far away, and always will be. The evidence that we have is merely mathematical.
    You know that's the same logic the Native Americans used about Eurotrash, right?

    Do you recall what Stephen Hawking said about it?

    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dutch Uncle For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (03-04-2021)

  8. #142 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    33,867
    Thanks
    20,199
    Thanked 11,149 Times in 8,641 Posts
    Groans
    4,032
    Groaned 1,174 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You know that's the same logic the Native Americans used about Eurotrash, right?

    Do you recall what Stephen Hawking said about it?
    I don't know where you're going with the 'same logic" comment. As if that is relevant, which it is not.

    Regarding Hawkins, "appeal to authority", and in my opinion he was overrated anyway.

  9. #143 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36,330
    Thanks
    10,640
    Thanked 15,902 Times in 12,323 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    I don't know where you're going with the 'same logic" comment. As if that is relevant, which it is not.

    Regarding Hawkins, "appeal to authority", and in my opinion he was overrated anyway.
    Sorry man, you lost me. What are you trying to say? That other civilizations can or can't exist?....but they'll never be able to contact us or us them?

    Why can't they contact us or vice versa?
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  10. #144 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    33,867
    Thanks
    20,199
    Thanked 11,149 Times in 8,641 Posts
    Groans
    4,032
    Groaned 1,174 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Sorry man, you lost me. What are you trying to say? That other civilizations can or can't exist?....but they'll never be able to contact us or us them?

    Why can't they contact us or vice versa?
    Dude, there are trillions of galaxies in the universe, probably many like ours, and ours has over 2000 solar systems. So the chance of life on another planet somewhere is mathematically very high if not definite. All too far away for any communication.

  11. #145 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36,330
    Thanks
    10,640
    Thanked 15,902 Times in 12,323 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    Dude, there are trillions of galaxies in the universe, probably many like ours, and ours has over 2000 solar systems. So the chance of life on another planet somewhere is mathematically very high if not definite. All too far away for any communication.
    Agreed. Weren't we were agreeing that the math is based on guesses?

    If you find a single weed in your yard, it's a pretty good fucking guess you have more. If you never have weeds in your yard. Ever. No matter how hard you search, by what logic do you deduce the neighbor has weeds? Did you see them? Do the math.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  12. #146 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    33,867
    Thanks
    20,199
    Thanked 11,149 Times in 8,641 Posts
    Groans
    4,032
    Groaned 1,174 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. Weren't we were agreeing that the math is based on guesses?

    If you find a single weed in your yard, it's a pretty good fucking guess you have more. If you never have weeds in your yard. Ever. No matter how hard you search, by what logic do you deduce the neighbor has weeds? Did you see them? Do the math.
    I think your analogy is poorly thought out at best.

    Here on planet Earth scientists have found life just about everywhere. Scientists use these life forms to to clean up wastes, manufacture of foods, beverages, medicines. There are even bacteria that consume hazardous materials such as spilled petroleum n soils and groundwater. In my studies and career I've come to the conclusion that if there is a source of energy, then there will be a life form to consume it.

  13. #147 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36,330
    Thanks
    10,640
    Thanked 15,902 Times in 12,323 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    I think your analogy is poorly thought out at best.

    Here on planet Earth scientists have found life just about everywhere. Scientists use these life forms to to clean up wastes, manufacture of foods, beverages, medicines. There are even bacteria that consume hazardous materials such as spilled petroleum n soils and groundwater. In my studies and career I've come to the conclusion that if there is a source of energy, then there will be a life form to consume it.
    This is Earth. So far no life on any other planet in the Solar System despite decades of looking. No signs of past life either.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  14. #148 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    33,867
    Thanks
    20,199
    Thanked 11,149 Times in 8,641 Posts
    Groans
    4,032
    Groaned 1,174 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    This is Earth. So far no life on any other planet in the Solar System despite decades of looking. No signs of past life either.
    Nice try at ignoring my argument completely.


  15. #149 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36,330
    Thanks
    10,640
    Thanked 15,902 Times in 12,323 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    Nice try at ignoring my argument completely.

    That's the problem. I can't figure out what the fuck your argument is. I even restated it and you just ignored it. Do you have an argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. Weren't we were agreeing that the math is based on guesses?

    If you find a single weed in your yard, it's a pretty good fucking guess you have more. If you never have weeds in your yard. Ever. No matter how hard you search, by what logic do you deduce the neighbor has weeds? Did you see them? Do the math.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  16. #150 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    33,867
    Thanks
    20,199
    Thanked 11,149 Times in 8,641 Posts
    Groans
    4,032
    Groaned 1,174 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    That's the problem. I can't figure out what the fuck your argument is. I even restated it and you just ignored it. Do you have an argument?
    It's all there for you to re-read and try to absorb it a second time.

Similar Threads

  1. The origin of Jim Crow
    By Celticguy in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM
  2. The origin of life.
    By Grugore in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 03-11-2018, 10:37 AM
  3. Origin of Religion
    By wiseones2cents in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM
  4. The Origin of Life
    By Dixie - In Memoriam in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 12:41 PM
  5. Hiv and it origin
    By evince in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 11:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •