Thread: Bill Maher's warning to the left: Cancel culture is 'real'

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    So you lied.

And you wonder why people think you are a Russian shill. Nobody would work hard at being this dumb without pay.
    ignoring you isnt lying. you hav an inability to compose a coherent stand alone post.
    Instead you act like we've in a conversation and your references to a previous statement is just understood.

Write more clearly. compose a stand alone post so I dont have to look back at WTF you are trying to reference
    and it wont be so tedious for me to deal with you, and you'll likely get more responses

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-28-2021)

3. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    ignoring you isnt lying. you hav an inability to compose a coherent stand alone post.
    Instead you act like we've in a conversation and your references to a previous statement is just understood.

Write more clearly. compose a stand alone post so I dont have to look back at WTF you are trying to reference
    and it wont be so tedious for me to deal with you, and you'll likely get more responses
    It's pretty clear. I'll expand.

Merriam-Webster notes that to "cancel", as used in this context, means "to stop giving support to that person"[2] while Dictionary.com, in its pop-culture dictionary, defines cancel culture as "withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive."

The notion of cancel culture is a variant on the term call-out culture and constitutes a form of boycotting involving an individual (usually a celebrity) who is deemed to have acted or spoken in a questionable or controversial manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancel_culture

It's a form of boycotting, like boycotting Chik-Fil-A and Target, for example. If someone says something awful, naturally some people will stop supporting them.

Now back to my question, is that a form of fascism as you consistently claim?

4. The Following User Groans At AProudLefty For This Awful Post:

5. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's a form of boycotting, like boycotting Chik-Fil-A and Target, for example. If someone says something awful, naturally some people will stop supporting them.

Now back to my question, is that a form of fascism as you consistently claim?
    I've gone over this before -1 more time then.
    ~~
    there is a significant difference to boycotts and canceling.

Boycotts are used to change behaviors - like boycotting companies that did business in South Africa until they divested. as they divested, the boycotts came off

cancelling is banning, and in most cases making sure that ban is a permanent cancel to employment or speech.
    There is no interest in changing behaviors,just punishment by those who have power

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

7. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I've gone over this before -1 more time then.
    ~~
    there is a significant difference to boycotts and canceling.

Boycotts are used to change behaviors - like boycotting companies that did business in South Africa until they divested. as they divested, the boycotts came off

cancelling is banning, and in most cases making sure that ban is a permanent cancel to employment or speech.
    There is no interest in changing behaviors,just punishment by those who have power
    You haven't explained how that is fascism and how stopping supporting is banning someone. You don't even know what fascism means, do you?

Try again.

8. The Following User Groans At AProudLefty For This Awful Post:

9. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

You haven't explained how that is fascism and how stopping supporting is banning someone. You don't even know what fascism means, do you?

Try again.
    Exactly and for some reason refuses to look it up.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

10. The Following User Groans At Rune For This Awful Post:

11. #231 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

so now you deny Trump even had policies??
    ALTHEA is a moron. if you hang with idiots you wind up being dumbed down
    Because you don't agree w/ him does not make him or anyone stupid.........

You selling your soul to trump doesn't make you stupid either..... (leaving in his hands )

trump is done, so are you...

You can change, unfortunately his growth is stunted & he can only do damage now..

Most of what he did is being undone but most of the damage he will do going forward will be to the gop.............

cheer comrade, cheer, go over to the mirror, pound your chest & yell lock her up a few times...........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

12. #232 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

what criticism? state it.
    He's a liberal and as such I disagree with his philosophy; but he's also a realist - a rare bird on the left
    Not stating anything more than I have, you deny it makes no difference to me comrade..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

13. #233 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    He ridiculed "The Bachelor" host Chris Harrison's recent decision to "step away" from his duties to, according to Harrison, get "educated on a more profound and productive level than ever before" after he received backlash for not rushing to condemn a contestant who had been accused of racism for old social media posts.

"Oh good ... because all my life I looked up to the host of the 'F--- a Stranger Show,'" Maher quipped. "And if I thought I couldn't count on 'The Bachelor' for moral guidance, I don't know if I could go on."

"Mature people understand humans are continually evolving as opposed to Wokeville, where they're always shocked we didn't emerge enlightened from the primordial ooze," Maher said.

Maher also mocked the outrage over the 'a------' Abraham Lincoln, who is now in consideration of being "canceled" in Illinois, the Land of Lincoln, after he was formally "canceled" in San Francisco.

"Memo to social justice warriors: When what you're doing sounds like an Onion headline, stop," Maher concluded.
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...chris-harrison
    Maher's a phenomenal jerk & massive bigot, but good comments.
    DemoKKKrats: The dangerous fascist psychopaths Orwell warned us about.

14. #234 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Because you don't agree w/ him does not make him or anyone stupid.........

You selling your soul to trump doesn't make you stupid either..... (leaving in his hands )

trump is done, so are you...

You can change, unfortunately his growth is stunted & he can only do damage now..

Most of what he did is being undone but most of the damage he will do going forward will be to the gop.............

cheer comrade, cheer, go over to the mirror, pound your chest & yell lock her up a few times...........
    as usual you are incapable of staying on a point in favor of adhoms/ ALTHEA said "Policies what policies" to which you jumped on the bandwagon

I call you out on that drivel -agreeing there were no policies, and you default to comrade crap

Somewhere, somehow, someone dumbed you down. 'tis a pity really, you used to be so much better then this
    Last edited by anatta; 02-28-2021 at 09:24 PM.

15. #235 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not stating anything more than I have, you deny it makes no difference to me comrade..
    so your comment regarding my attribution of Maher is baseless

16. #236 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Try again.
    no. i've broken down your argument that cancelling is the same as boycotts - you don't defend that inconsistency.
    instead you harp on a word when I've clearly explained canceling is a fascist behavior.

17. #237 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

as usual you are incapable of staying on a point in favor of adhoms/ ALTHEA said "Policies what policies" to which you jumped on the bandwagon

I callyou out on that drivel -agreeing there were no policies, and you default to comrade crap

Somewhere, somehow, someone dumbed you down. tis a pity really, you used to be so much better then this
    So did you before you went full tilt cult.........

Not going to bite my tongue, you need help..

Don't stick around to long & be the last man off a sinking ship, the one guy that feel asleep & didn't get off the bandwagon before it was to late..

You've seen how the ron paul whorsehippers all ended up, don't let that happen to you..............

18. #238 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

no. i've broken down your argument that cancelling is the same as boycotts - you don't defend that inconsistency.
    instead you harp on a word when I've clearly explained canceling is a fascist behavior.
    So you are being a fascist by cancelling a subscription to something?

19. The Following User Groans At AProudLefty For This Awful Post:

20. #239 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So did you before you went full tilt cult.........

Not going to bite my tongue, you need help..

Don't stick around to long & be the last man off a sinking ship, the one guy that feel asleep & didn't get off the bandwagon before it was to late..

You've seen how the ron paul whorsehippers all ended up, don't let that happen to you..............
    uh huh. 75,000,000 voters is a "cult". Dont cry for me Argentina- instead tighten up your posting to more then ad homs

21. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

22. #240 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you are being a fascist by cancelling a subscription to something?
    can you PLEASE make a declarative statement with a subject and object of a preposition that's more
    then just a nebulous pronoun?