Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Biden dropping ball on COVID relief - no checks, but bombs in Syria?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    You can go eat a bag of dicks. We aren't allies in this.

Allies? you wish. lol

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

As I said during the campaign, I would hit Biden if he didn't do what he promised.

Well, here we are...a month into his administration and still no:

-->$2K checks
    -->$15/hr MW
    -->Student Debt Relief

But hey, he dropped a few bombs in Syria, so....

US launches airstrike, bombs Syrian facilities used by Iran-backed militia
    https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2600121_1.html

"Biden to Continue Support For Kurdish Forces in Syria"
    https://news.antiwar.com/2021/01/28/...rces-in-syria/

"The State Department official said the SDF has “done the lion’s share of the fighting against ISIS on the ground” and that the group “remains a capable and committed military partner.” "

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "Biden to Continue Support For Kurdish Forces in Syria"
    https://news.antiwar.com/2021/01/28/...rces-in-syria/

"The State Department official said the SDF has “done the lion’s share of the fighting against ISIS on the ground” and that the group “remains a capable and committed military partner.” "
    It just sucks that we dropped bombs on Syria before anyone got the COVID check we were promised.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It just sucks that we dropped bombs on Syria before anyone got the COVID check we were promised.
    I don't know the details, it may have given the Syrian Kurds a 'message' that we are back to support their efforts for an autonomous region in Syria similar to the Iraqi Kurds in Iraq. (?)

As far as the 'checks', it's winding it's way thru Congress.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Biden is not doing fine.

People are suffering, we know what solutions we need, and now they're backtracking on all of it.

This COVID relief bill is not going to get money to the people who need it, and it's only going to be a one-time check when what we need are recurring checks, which is what every serious economist has said.

The Democrats had a chance to blow through GQP opposition in the first week, but chose to extend an olive branch for "unity".

$2K recurring monthly checks should be the low-end starting point.
    You gotta think what you gotta think.

But in this instance, I think you are dead wrong.

Read Concart's response again. That response hit all the nails squarely on the head.

Joe Biden has been president for about 5 weeks. He is still dealing with a pandemic that was allowed to get totally out of control in our country...and an economy on the edge of collapse. And he has a congress with a razor sharp edge in his favor.

Chill.

There will be plenty of time in the future to tout how prescient your thinking has been on the Biden Administration.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Jack (02-26-2021)

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't know the details, it may have given the Syrian Kurds a 'message' that we are back to support their efforts for an autonomous region in Syria similar to the Iraqi Kurds in Iraq. (?)

As far as the 'checks', it's winding it's way thru Congress.
    The problem is that the Democrats just aren't going to have the will to push for recurring checks. This $1,400 add-on is going to be it. And not everyone will get the add-on, which only makes it more unpopular.

We should have seen this coming the moment they started talking about means-testing.

What's a sure fire way to kill something that is popular? Means test it.

I think every man, woman, and child should get a $2K check every month until we reach 99% vaccination, and retroactive checks for every month of 2020 we were stuck in this bullshit.

That's the only way the Democrats are going to save themselves in 2022, but I think the Democrats want to lose power. Why else would they hang themselves up on Manchin and Sinema who, between the two of them, represent only 9 million people, half of whom didn't even vote for them.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The problem is that the Democrats just aren't going to have the will to push for recurring checks. This $1,400 add-on is going to be it. And not everyone will get the add-on, which only makes it more unpopular.

We should have seen this coming the moment they started talking about means-testing.

What's a sure fire way to kill something that is popular? Means test it.

I think every man, woman, and child should get a $2K check every month until we reach 99% vaccination, and retroactive checks for every month of 2020 we were stuck in this bullshit.

That's the only way the Democrats are going to save themselves in 2022, but I think the Democrats want to lose power. Why else would they hang themselves up on Manchin and Sinema who, between the two of them, represent only 9 million people, half of whom didn't even vote for them.
    Dude. A lot of us don't need the checks. Why send checks to people that are doing just fine? Target the checks to people that actually need it.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    You gotta think what you gotta think.
    But in this instance, I think you are dead wrong.
    Read Concart's response again. That response hit all the nails squarely on the head.
    Joe Biden has been president for about 5 weeks. He is still dealing with a pandemic that was allowed to get totally out of control in our country...and an economy on the edge of collapse. And he has a congress with a razor sharp edge in his favor.
    Chill.
    There will be plenty of time in the future to tout how prescient your thinking has been on the Biden Administration.
    Every single day that passes justifies Democratic inaction further.

They are going to do this COVID bill and they are going to think this is enough.

So in 6 months, when the economy is still a flaming pile of dogshit, they're going to do some mealy-mouthed concern trolling but ultimately won't do a goddamned thing because Biden and the Democratic leadership absolutely loathe flexing their political muscles.

Why Biden isn't calling for the expulsion of Hawley, Cruz, and the other insurrectionists who aided a riot to prevent Biden from being President is the kind of Obama-era complacency that cost us the House in 2010.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Dude. A lot of us don't need the checks. Why send checks to people that are doing just fine? Target the checks to people that actually need it.
    Everybody needs the checks.

If you don't need the check, then put it in savings for later, because let me tell you something, this economy is going to be a flaming pile of crap until we achieve full vaccination.

So you might not "need" the check now, but you probably will in a few months when the economy takes another sour turn because we still haven't been able to get a handle on COVID.

And honestly, who fucking gives a shit who gets a check? Do you really, truly care? I don't and I doubt anyone else truly does.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Everybody needs the checks.

If you don't need the check, then put it in savings for later, because let me tell you something, this economy is going to be a flaming pile of crap until we achieve full vaccination. So you might not "need" the check now, but you probably will in a few months when the economy takes another sour turn because we still haven't been able to get a handle on COVID.
    Uh, most of the people that 'don't need their check' just dump it in their Stock Portfolio.
    We have 3 Vaccines now. As the Hospitalization/Death curve diminishes, the Economy will start to pick up ... and accelerate because of pent up demand.
    The ONLY downside in the Future will be inflation.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,689 Times in 5,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

The fake president gave the $2000 to his son Hunter Biden for drugs.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Uh, most of the people that 'don't need their check' just dump it in their Stock Portfolio.
    So what? Who fucking cares? Really, who cares? I don't care. Do you care? Why do you care?

We have 3 Vaccines now. As the Hospitalization/Death curve diminishes, the Economy will start to pick up ... and accelerate because of pent up demand.
    Demand only comes from wages...we will need to kick-start -or STIMULATE- the economy in order to get it to pick up. And the only way to do that is to give people money to spend. All people.

If inflation didn't occur over the last 10 years of qualitative easing and massive tax cuts, then it's certainly not going to occur if you give every man, woman, and child $2K checks to spend every month until this crisis is over.

It's just good politics and good economics.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here's the other problem with this round of bullshit checks...

It's taking your 2019 income into account, not your 2020 income.

So if you had a job where you made $75K+ a year in 2019, but COVID ended up killing that job in 2020, you won't get a single penny in this round of checks.

So who is this even going to help? Not the people who need it most, obviously.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So what? Who fucking cares? Really, who cares? I don't care. Do you care? Why do you care?

Demand only comes from wages...we will need to kick-start -or STIMULATE- the economy in order to get it to pick up. And the only way to do that is to give people money to spend. All people.

If inflation didn't occur over the last 10 years of qualitative easing and massive tax cuts, then it's certainly not going to occur if you give every man, woman, and child $2K checks to spend every month until this crisis is over.

It's just good politics and good economics.
    LV: "So what? Who fucking cares? Really, who cares? I don't care. Do you care? Why do you care?"
    Jack: Someone needs to pay for it. If you don't ... inflation pays for it. Meaning, $15/an hr. becomes $7/hr. in 'Buying Power'.

LV: "Demand only comes from wages...we will need to kick-start -or STIMULATE- the economy in order to get it to pick up. And the only way to do that is to give people money to spend. All people."
    Jack: Have you noticed the Stock Market? Many people have more money than they know what to do with. They are just waiting to get their Shots and the Green Light to go out and SPEND.

LV: "It's just good politics and good economics."
    Jack: If you say so.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Someone needs to pay for it. If you don't ... inflation pays for it. Meaning, $15/an hr. becomes $7/hr. in 'Buying Power'.
    How about repealing the 2018 tax cut to pay for it?

Or taxing the wealth of billionaires?

Or, we could just borrow it since it's simulative and will be a 100% return on the investment?

To me the "who will pay for it" conversation always seems to come up when it's Democrats who are trying to recover from Republicans who didn't want to pay for any of their priorities like tax cuts.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Jack (02-26-2021)