Thread: The Republican Party Is Now in Its End Stages

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,544 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default The Republican Party Is Now in Its End Stages

Republicans, especially, want their followers to believe that America is on the verge of a dramatic time, a moment of great conflict such as 1968—or perhaps, even worse, 1860. (The drama is the point, of course. No one ever says, “We’re living through 1955.”)

Ironically, the GOP is indeed replicating another political party in another time, but not as the heroes they imagine themselves to be. The Republican Party has become, in form if not in content, the Communist Party of the Soviet Union of the late 1970s.

I can already hear the howls about invidious comparisons. I do not mean that modern American Republicans are communists. Rather, I mean that the Republicans have entered their own kind of end-stage Bolshevism, as members of a party that is now exhausted by its failures, cynical about its own ideology, authoritarian by reflex, controlled as a personality cult by a failing old man, and looking for new adventures to rejuvenate its fortunes.

The Republican Party has, for years, ignored the ideas and principles it once espoused, to the point where the 2020 GOP convention simply dispensed with the fiction of a platform and instead declared the party to be whatever Comrade—excuse me, President—Donald Trump said it was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...es/ar-BB1e0TqI
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

PoliTalker (02-25-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Republicans, especially, want their followers to believe that America is on the verge of a dramatic time, a moment of great conflict such as 1968—or perhaps, even worse, 1860. (The drama is the point, of course. No one ever says, “We’re living through 1955.”)

Ironically, the GOP is indeed replicating another political party in another time, but not as the heroes they imagine themselves to be. The Republican Party has become, in form if not in content, the Communist Party of the Soviet Union of the late 1970s.

I can already hear the howls about invidious comparisons. I do not mean that modern American Republicans are communists. Rather, I mean that the Republicans have entered their own kind of end-stage Bolshevism, as members of a party that is now exhausted by its failures, cynical about its own ideology, authoritarian by reflex, controlled as a personality cult by a failing old man, and looking for new adventures to rejuvenate its fortunes.

The Republican Party has, for years, ignored the ideas and principles it once espoused, to the point where the 2020 GOP convention simply dispensed with the fiction of a platform and instead declared the party to be whatever Comrade—excuse me, President—Donald Trump said it was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...es/ar-BB1e0TqI
    #FANTASY
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    #FANTASY
    A party comprised of the dying demographic with no platform is fantasy to you?
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Like Brezhnev, Trump has grown in status to become a heroic figure among his supporters. If the Republicans could create the rank of “Marshal of the American Republic” and strike a medal for a “Hero of American Culture,” Trump would have them both by now.

A GOP that once prided itself on its intellectual debates is now ruled by the turgid formulations of what the Soviets would have called their “leading cadres,” including ideological watchdogs such as Tucker Carlson and Mark Levin. Like their Soviet predecessors, a host of dull and dogmatic cable outlets, screechy radio talkers, and poorly written magazines crank out the same kind of fill-in-the-blanks screeds full of delusional accusations, replacing “NATO” and “revanchism” with “antifa” and “radicalism.”

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

PoliTalker (02-25-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    A party comprised of the dying demographic with no platform is fantasy to you?
    The R party is well along the path of reform, is revitalized, and its core is stronger than it has been in decades.

You really do need to wake up to reality.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

An interesting comparison.

Lotta parallels there.

It doesn't seem like the party has much of a future.

Many long-time Republicans have left the party.

The current active members consist of many political neophytes who are not long-time voters.

The 'new Republicans' have brought hatred and kooky conspiracy theories which turn off the 'old Republicans.'

There are not enough of the 'new Republicans' to win a major election.

But the party is still dangerous. They can certainly win gerrymandered districts and red state Senate races.

But it's all emotion and no substance. They don't have a platform. What they have is a figurehead who quite likely faces criminal charges. If Trump goes down the party is lost. Many of the Trump supporters would likely leave. There could be copycats, but it appears unlikely anyone could take Trump's place and match his charisma.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (02-25-2021)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    An interesting comparison.

Lotta parallels there.

It doesn't seem like the party has much of a future.

Many long-time Republicans have left the party.

The current active members consist of many political neophytes who are not long-time voters.

The 'new Republicans' have brought hatred and kooky conspiracy theories which turn off the 'old Republicans.'

There are not enough of the 'new Republicans' to win a major election.

But the party is still dangerous. They can certainly win gerrymandered districts and red state Senate races.

But it's all emotion and no substance. They don't have a platform. What they have is a figurehead who quite likely faces criminal charges. If Trump goes down the party is lost. Many of the Trump supporters would likely leave. There could be copycats, but it appears unlikely anyone could take Trump's place and match his charisma.
    Both parties are becoming completely different than what they had been for a very long time, the R's are now the party of the abused little people and the D's are now the party of the Elites, of the Revolution, of the abusers.