Thread: A fishy business

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,774 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Default A fishy business

Alex Salmond, former First Minister of Scotland, alleges that there was “a deliberate, prolonged, malicious and concerted effort amongst a range of individuals within the Scottish government and the Scottish National Party to damage my reputation, even to the extent of having me imprisoned.” (He was tried and acquitted last year of sexual offenses, following a botched government inquiry.)

Among the conspirators he names are the present First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, her husband who is chief executive of the SNP, and her chief of staff. Sturgeon is also accused of misleading the Scottish Parliament. They deny Salmond’s claims and say he’s making it up.

Here is a part of the UK, cradle of the rule of law, plunged into an imbroglio ordinarily seen only in failed states and authoritarian regimes. Imagine if these allegations had been made in England, with a former Prime Minister accusing the UK government of conspiring to frame him. The story would have gone around the world. But this is happening in Scotland. Worth a footnote in the NY Times, I guess.

In a few years Scotland may be an independent nation clamoring to join the EU - if they can get in with massive public over-spending, currently financed by the UK.
    I suspect the EU might take on the burden if only to give England a poke in the eye. But for the Scots it would a hell of a gamble. They don’t seem to care. The SNP is overwhelmingly ahead in opinion polls.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 8,420 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    Alex Salmond, former First Minister of Scotland, alleges that there was “a deliberate, prolonged, malicious and concerted effort amongst a range of individuals within the Scottish government and the Scottish National Party to damage my reputation, even to the extent of having me imprisoned.” (He was tried and acquitted last year of sexual offenses, following a botched government inquiry.)

Among the conspirators he names are the present First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, her husband who is chief executive of the SNP, and her chief of staff. Sturgeon is also accused of misleading the Scottish Parliament. They deny Salmond’s claims and say he’s making it up.

Here is a part of the UK, cradle of the rule of law, plunged into an imbroglio ordinarily seen only in failed states and authoritarian regimes. Imagine if these allegations had been made in England, with a former Prime Minister accusing the UK government of conspiring to frame him. The story would have gone around the world. But this is happening in Scotland. Worth a footnote in the NY Times, I guess.

In a few years Scotland may be an independent nation clamoring to join the EU - if they can get in with massive public over-spending, currently financed by the UK.
    I suspect the EU might take on the burden if only to give England a poke in the eye. But for the Scots it would a hell of a gamble. They don’t seem to care. The SNP is overwhelmingly ahead in opinion polls.
    I love scotch so my only question is will this interfere with me getting more Ardbeg ?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

It might if the Scots went independent.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    I love scotch so my only question is will this interfere with me getting more Ardbeg ?
    Then go drink some more.
    Lock Him Up

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's important to remember that the Irish Republic had a hugely lower standard of living than anywhere in the UK until it got into the EU, whereas the thickoes in my own dear country have since led us loyally into that position. Thieving English boss class see to it that everything goes to itself, always. It makes them very independent, apparently, though they can't ever take their paws out of our pockets.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Then go drink some more.
    So you have idea if it will effect the supply of scotch but just had to post something no matter how fucking stupid or irrelevant?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iolo/Penderyn View Post
    It's important to remember that the Irish Republic had a hugely lower standard of living than anywhere in the UK until it got into the EU, whereas the thickoes in my own dear country have since led us loyally into that position. Thieving English boss class see to it that everything goes to itself, always. It makes them very independent, apparently, though they can't ever take their paws out of our pockets.
    You have any numbers to back this up?

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you have idea if it will effect the supply of scotch but just had to post something no matter how fucking stupid or irrelevant?
    I was suggesting, that maybe if you have a few more drinks it might help you to think better, being the twerp that you are.
    Lock Him Up

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I was suggesting, that maybe if you have a few more drinks it might help you to think better, being the twerp that you are.
    Well I don't need to drink anymore to know you're a inbred pig fucking parasite.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well I don't need to drink anymore to know you're a inbred pig fucking parasite.
    Sounds to me like you're suffering from DTs (Delirium tremens), maybe you ought to go to rehab.
    Lock Him Up