Thread: Critical Race Theory

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,525 Times in 52,742 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    This theory, like most, have both good points and bad. IMO, it's mostly bad because it's racist. Ending racism by adding more racism is like bombing for peace or fucking for virginity. It's a dead end and only seeks to prolong the pain.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory
    Critical race theory (CRT), the view that the law and legal institutions are inherently racist and that race itself, instead of being biologically grounded and natural, is a socially constructed concept that is used by white people to further their economic and political interests at the expense of people of colour. According to critical race theory (CRT), racial inequality emerges from the social, economic, and legal differences that white people create between “races” to maintain elite white interests in labour markets and politics, giving rise to poverty and criminality in many minority communities. The CRT movement officially organized itself in 1989, at the first annual Workshop on Critical Race Theory, though its intellectual origins go back much further, to the 1960s and ’70s.

The ABA's views. It's very politically correct, but like Affirmative Action looks great on paper, how it actually works is counter-productive to eliminating racism. IMO, so does CRT: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...l-race-theory/
    I'm glad that I saw this thread. I'm taking Physical Anthropology 101 this semester.

"Race" is an artificial human construction based in pre-Victorian science as a way to classify human beings just as earlier Renaissance scientists began to classify all other species. THAT was based on even earlier science... Linnaeus and Mendel's work.

Scientifically there is no "race" in humankind other than we are classified as homo sapiens sapiens.

Scientifically, all attempts to claim that human beings of one phenotype or another are inferior is incorrect.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-24-2021), Hoosier Daddy (02-25-2021)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I'm glad that I saw this thread. I'm taking Physical Anthropology 101 this semester.

"Race" is an artificial human construction based in pre-Victorian science as a way to classify human beings just as earlier Renaissance scientists began to classify all other species. THAT was based on even earlier science... Linnaeus and Mendel's work.

Scientifically there is no "race" in humankind other than we are classified as homo sapiens sapiens.

Is this part of a degree or just for fun? Looks like a great class!

Scientifically, all attempts to claim that human beings of one phenotype or another are inferior is incorrect.
    Agreed. The science of genetics has proved human beings are too diverse to be categorized into races or breeds.

Are you taking the class towards a degree or just for fun? Looks like fun!
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (02-25-2021), ThatOwlWoman (02-25-2021)

5. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

This is probably a stupid question but how does that co-exist with CRT which says nothing is more important than a persons race and that is how they are to be seen and defined?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Stone (02-25-2021)

7. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but how does that co-exist with CRT which says nothing is more important than a persons race and that is how they are to be seen and defined?
    Only tangentially since the most accurate thing about CRT is that "race" is a social construct like being an American or fucking Eurotrash.

8. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed. The science of genetics has proved human beings are too diverse to be categorized into races or breeds.

Are you taking the class towards a degree or just for fun? Looks like fun!
    It's part of my eventual degree.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-24-2021)

10. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I have no idea what you refer to with "CRT." To me it's just Cathode Ray Tube. More info, please?

11. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I have no idea what you refer to with "CRT." To me it's just Cathode Ray Tube. More info, please?
    Critical Race Theory

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-25-2021)

13. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's part of my eventual degree.
    Excellent. First or additional? What field?

14. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

^ Check out Professor Owl! Nice work.

Here are some factoids I learned in genetics class: humans are so inter-related that humanity as a whole has less genetic diversity than onion plants.

This factoid and mitochondrial DNA results indicate we all are descended from a small group of homo sapiens originally living in Africa - perhaps as small as only a few hundred individuals. Making all of us distant cousins to each other.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-25-2021), ThatOwlWoman (02-25-2021)

16. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

17. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Stone (02-25-2021)

19. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,454 Times in 9,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 867 Times in 825 Posts

CRT is no different from all the other scams running rampant. Someone wants free money. Thats it... in total....nothing more to it really. Its the old ..."IM A LOSER but if you give me money I wont be a loser anymore" thing. Cept it doesnt work. Never has. In a very short time the loser mentality will willingly and gleefully hand his money right back over to the winners of the world only to end up with nothing.

20. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    ^ Check out Professor Owl! Nice work.

Here are some factoids I learned in genetics class: humans are so inter-related that humanity as a whole has less genetic diversity than onion plants.

This factoid and mitochondrial DNA results indicate we all are descended from a small group of homo sapiens originally living in Africa - perhaps as small as only a few hundred individuals. Making all of us distant cousins to each other.
    Isn't that cool? We've known for a while now that most of us of European/Asian ancestry have some Neanderthal genes. Some of us also have Denisovan genes, plus genes from a yet-to-be-identified other human species. They've been able to trace our lineage via mDNA all the way back to one individual female who lived in Africa, colloquially named "Mitochondrial Eve."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (02-25-2021)

22. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, so much for 'Reparations'. It's pretty obvious by our Scientists here, there is no 'race' and we're all identical.

23. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Excellent. First or additional? What field?
    Native American Studies/Anthropology.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-25-2021)