Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "DeSantis Omits Data on Child COVID Rates as He Touts Decision to Open Schools"

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Default "DeSantis Omits Data on Child COVID Rates as He Touts Decision to Open Schools"

"As Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis travels the state promoting his performance fighting the coronavirus, he often points to a relatively low infection rate among children — even after his administration compelled school districts to offer in-person learning."

"But this week, the NBC 6 Investigators found, he twice misled the public about how Florida stacks up to other states when it comes to infection rates among school-age children."

"During comments Monday lambasting Democrats for, he claimed, putting teachers' unions "ahead of the well-being of our children," he touted how well Florida protected school children from the virus, compared to other states."

""We’ve been in-person (learning) as much as anybody in the country. And yet we’re 34th out of 50 states and DC for COVID-19 cases on a per capita basis for children," he said."

"That is not true, unless -- as the governor did -- you ignore more than 50,000 children over the age of 14 who contracted the virus. By using a statistic for children under 15, he effectively removed high school students from the data he cited twice this week to validate his decision to offer in-person classes to all public schools students.
    The states DeSantis was comparing Florida to do, in fact, include those older students."

"When states reporting cases among children under 18 are compared to Florida's rate for the same age group, Florida ranks ninth -- not 34th -- according to an NBC 6 analysis of state Department of Health and U.S. Census Bureau data."

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...hools/2385631/

Not that the Governor has a history regarding valid Covid statistics (https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...gii-story.html)

Appears Ronny has learned a lot from his mentor, just float the lie, they'll believe you, even echo it, and when snagged, say the media is picking on you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

evince (02-19-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another self serving Trump wanna be.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (02-19-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Another self serving Trump wanna be.
    Hey, he's got the Don living in his backyard, even some talk that the Don would support him if the decided to run in 2024, and nothing is more flattering to a Trump than another emulating their views and actions

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

evince (02-19-2021), PoliTalker (02-19-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

LMAO. who the fuck cares? open the schools!
    they are a poor transmitter, and the damage to kids -especially under 14 not being there is colossal .

There is no good "scientific" reason for states not to open up EXCEPT for teachers unions

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (02-20-2021)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Hey, he's got the Don living in his backyard, even some talk that the Don would support him if the decided to run in 2024, and nothing is more flattering to a Trump than another emulating their views and actions
    What's up with your boy Cuomo? Not that you can't call out others but it rings a little hollow when you've been so defensive of him. If one continually calls out others shouldn't you be willing to do the same at some point for people you support?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Sailor (02-19-2021)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    LMAO. who the fuck cares? open the schools!
    they are a poor transmitter, and the damage to kids -especially under 14 not being there is colossal .

There is no good "scientific" reason for states not to open up EXCPET for teachers unions
    Ah, no, you just don't open up schools like one remedy fits all.

You going to open up high schools, especially those with thousands of pupils in attendance? What do you do with older structures that can't easily accommodate necessary Covid requirements? And do schools within areas suffering from high Covid numbers get treated the same as those experiencing scant Covid infections? Etc, etc., etc

Schools can be opened depending upon a number of relevant circumstances and considerations, the cry you hear from many of just open up the schools is misleading. It is only popular on the right cause the GOP is trying to win back the suburban vote

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    What's up with your boy Cuomo? Not that you can't call out others but it rings a little hollow when you've been so defensive of him. If one continually calls out others shouldn't you be willing to do the same at some point for people you support?
    We depend on the right for that. The challenge is to find anything valid mixed in with all the conspiracies and propaganda.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not apologetic for Cuomo, he f*cked up, first in sending the OBG's back to the nursing homes and then not being transparent regarding the numbers. The first because at the time little was known about the virus and he made the wrong the decision, the second because he was concerned how it would look politically. Bottom line, my guess, the Legislature will take away some of his emergency powers, his decision will have to be approved by a selected panel

Now do you think we will anyone from the right discredit DeSantis on his questionable behavior?

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You going to open up high schools, especially those with thousands of pupils in attendance? What do you do with older structures that can't easily accommodate necessary Covid requirements? And do schools within areas suffering from high Covid numbers get treated the same as those experiencing scant Covid infections? Etc, etc., etc

Schools can be opened depending upon a number of relevant circumstances and considerations, the cry you hear from many of just open up the schools is misleading. It is only popular on the right cause the GOP is trying to win back the suburban vote
    I actually appreciate this response and I'll explain why. With education, it's never about the kids. It's all about the teachers and by that I mean the teachers unions. Liberals love to say they care about education and people on the right don't. What you really mean by that is you support what the teachers unions want above all else. We all see the science and the data that schools can be reopened. We see the data that shows the huge negative effects being out of school is having on kids, mentally and physically. As well as increasing educational inequality. But many will not talk about that because the kids aren't the priority.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

dukkha (02-19-2021), Sailor (02-19-2021)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

We depend on the right for that. The challenge is to find anything valid mixed in with all the conspiracies and propaganda.
    Not really a good sign would you say to be afraid to call out someone on your own "side"?

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

at one time the duplictious Fauci said "open the schools" who knows what 2 Face Fauci says now.

what requirements? social distancing and masks -maybe partitions. any structure can do that.

It doesn't matter what the community numbers are..kid to kid transmission and kid to adult is negligible.

And this IS a zero sum game. Opening the schools is good for the kids, closing the schools is disastrous

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (02-19-2021)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I actually appreciate this response and I'll explain why. With education, it's never about the kids. It's all about the teachers and by that I mean the teachers unions. Liberals love to say they care about education and people on the right don't. What you really mean by that is you support what the teachers unions want above all else. We all see the science and the data that schools can be reopened. We see the data that shows the huge negative effects being out of school is having on kids, mentally and physically. As well as increasing educational inequality. But many will not talk about that because the kids aren't the priority.
    bingo..teachers unions dont GAF about the children

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not apologetic for Cuomo, he f*cked up, first in sending the OBG's back to the nursing homes and then not being transparent regarding the numbers. The first because at the time little was known about the virus and he made the wrong the decision, the second because he was concerned how it would look politically. Bottom line, my guess, the Legislature will take away some of his emergency powers, his decision will have to be approved by a selected panel

Now do you think we will anyone from the right discredit DeSantis on his questionable behavior?
    what?
    they KNEW COVID was contagious and Cuomos sent infected eldery back into nursing homes - a death sentence

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

bingo..teachers unions dont GAF about the children
    Not at all. Nor democrats.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

what?
    they KNEW COVID was contagious and Cuomos sent infected eldery back into nursing homes - a death sentence
    Here we go again, of course they knew it was contagious, as I said, he f*cked up, but the thinking was that they had to make room for those they anticipated in the early days were going to need immediate IC attention. I'll say it again, Cuomo f*cked up, never said he didn't, but he didn't do it cause he wanted to kill OBG's as many on the right are echoing