Thread: Steven Chu on tap to be Energy Chief

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Steven Chu on tap to be Energy Chief

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama is likely to name Steven Chu, a physicist who runs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, as his energy secretary, three Democratic officials close to the transition said.

The three officials said the announcement is expected next week in Chicago, Illinois, and that Obama will also name Carol Browner, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency in the Clinton administration, as the newly created "climate czar" inside the White House.

Chu won the 1997 Nobel Prize in physics and is highly respected in energy circles. But some Democrats have privately expressed concern that Chu has no political experience as he takes on the monumental task of passing a landmark energy reform bill early next year.

Although Browner is seen as a shrewd inside player who could help the incoming energy secretary navigate Capitol Hill, Obama will face questions about how effective his team will be going up against oil companies and other special interests that do not want to change the status quo.

"Energy is going to be a huge fight," one Democratic official said. "They need someone with the gravitas and force of personality to make it happen."

Democrats have privately floated some other big names for energy secretary in recent days, including California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

But a source close to Schwarzenegger said the governor wants to serve out the rest of his term.

A source close to Powell said the retired general will take "no formal Cabinet role" in an Obama administration but is leaving the door open to an informal troubleshooting role -- such as Mideast envoy -- if the incoming president has a specific mission that needs to be filled. iReport.com: What do you think of Obama's cabinet picks so far?

Energy is one aspect of the president-elect's one-year goal to create 2.5 million jobs by 2011. The plan, which Obama announced Saturday, aims to put Americans to work updating the country's infrastructure, making public buildings more energy-efficient and implementing environmentally friendly technologies, including alternative energy sources.

During his campaign, Obama said he would invest $150 billion over 10 years in clean energy. He proposed increasing fuel economy standards and requiring that 10 percent of electricity in the United States comes from renewable sources by 2012.

Steven Chu’s early research focused on atomic physics by developing laser cooling methodologies and trap atoms using lasers. He expanded his research area to polymer physics and biophysics while he was at Stanford. His current research focuses on the study of biological molecules and systems at single molecular level. Many Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows from his group have become professors at research universities around the world.

Since 2004, Chu has been director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, which has 4,000 employees and a budget of $650 million. The laboratory under Chu has been a center of research into biofuels and solar energy technologies. Chu has been a vocal advocate for more research into alternative energy, arguing that a shift away from fossil fuels is essential to combat global warming
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

glad I'm back into solar stocks
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
    glad I'm back into solar stocks
    Carefull solar has been weakened by cheap oil. The only bright side for the industry is that lots of players entered so there will be a glut of panels out there sort of forcing the technology into mainstream.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Watch and learn Gerber, don't buy when everybody loves it. Get in front, Obama's 2.5 million jobs is going to have lots of green which means SOLAR!!!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Watch and learn Gerber, don't buy when everybody loves it. Get in front, Obama's 2.5 million jobs is going to have lots of green which means SOLAR!!!
    Oh im in, and big on wind and solar. Have been. I made good money on ENER and FSLR early on and took the profits. was doing ok on ESLR until the whole stock scandal with Lehman Brothers... I have averaged down quite a bit but then ran out of powder.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

cool, if people are not in now's the time. Cause your right the fundementals look bad (good timing). Cause the fundamentals will change drastically with Obama creating the demand.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

cool, if people are not in now's the time. Cause your right the fundementals look bad (good timing). Cause the fundamentals will change drastically with Obama creating the demand.
    Thats what im hoping for and why I never sold. All long term money.