Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Interested In Electric Cars?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Anyone Interested In Electric Cars?

Nope. Nothing like the sound of a obnoxiously loud, gas guzzling, smog spewing big block!
    Eff Eee Bay Bee!

1.jpg

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome American Man,

Before we begin chatting, as I do with all newcomers here, I'd like to acquaint you with my own personal rule, which is definitely more strict than the site rules. Basically, we are going to be polite with one another, or I will cut it off. I make stringent use of the Ignore feature. It's the only way I can participate here.

Here's what I call my Personal Ignore Policy PIP: "I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well."

If that is agreeable, and I hope it is, right on! I hope we have many great discussions. If not, we won't be talking long.

Onward...

Quote Originally Posted by American Man View Post
    I can't afford a new Tesla, but the nice thing about EVs is that they depreciate 73% faster than regular cars. There are perfectly adequate, low-mileage EVs on the market from a few years ago selling for only $6,000-$8,000.

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading about EVs. The only downside is that it takes longer to charge an EV than to fill a regular car with gas. Also, they're not good for long trips because charging stations aren't commonplace yet.

But the newest Teslas are pretty amazing. They can be charged at home and a full charge only takes about one hour. A full charge will last for 205-400 miles, depending on the battery size. This is more than adequate for me. They have almost no moving parts, which makes maintenance easy and the car unlikely to break down. They're also really fast: The Tesla Model S goes from zero to sixty in 2.4 seconds.

I'm looking at used Teslas for sure. Anyone else have an EV or thinking about buying one?
    Great thread. I would love an EV. But, like so many, I find the price daunting, and the limitations for extended travel are pretty extreme.

I would love to have a Tesla, and might consider one for in-town driving, and still have an ICE vehicle for longer range capability.

The thought of getting a Tesla for 7K? That sounds like a dream.

And, of course, nobody is getting a newer Tesla for that much.

Still, I like where this is heading.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The thought of having a car that will never need the transmission repaired or replaced, never need a radiator, a starter, an alternator, fuel rail, timing chain, injectors, oil change, water pump, tune up, exhaust, fuel filter, etc, etc, etc, is AWESOME!

Or how about that cold morning when the car doesn't start?

Electric cars have got to be SO much more reliable and secure.

And they probably last FAR longer.

I can't figure out why none of the MFRs are looking at a system where the batteries are designed to an industry standard, and created so they are easily replaceable, and come up from the bottom.

That way, an electric vehicle could pull into a battery-swap station, much like a current gas station, pull up onto a rack, pay the fee, and have a depleted batter pack swapped out for a freshly charged one.

Car-owners wouldn't even need to own the battery pack.

The government could set standards for how much charge a battery pack must have in order to be used. If they won't meet the minimum, then they cannot be installed, and must be sent for recycling.

That would totally solve the charge-time issue.

It would make EV's viable for long-range driving.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello and welcome American Man,

Before we begin chatting, as I do with all newcomers here, I'd like to acquaint you with my own personal rule, which is definitely more strict than the site rules. Basically, we are going to be polite with one another, or I will cut it off. I make stringent use of the Ignore feature. It's the only way I can participate here.

Here's what I call my Personal Ignore Policy PIP: "I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well."

If that is agreeable, and I hope it is, right on! I hope we have many great discussions. If not, we won't be talking long.

Onward...

Great thread. I would love an EV. But, like so many, I find the price daunting, and the limitations for extended travel are pretty extreme.

I would love to have a Tesla, and might consider one for in-town driving, and still have an ICE vehicle for longer range capability.

The thought of getting a Tesla for 7K? That sounds like a dream.

And, of course, nobody is getting a newer Tesla for that much.

Still, I like where this is heading.
    I wasn't referring to Teslas when I mentioned cheap EVs. Chevy, Kia, Nissan, and Toyota have been making EVs for about a decade and the older ones are pretty cheap.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to American Man For This Post:

PoliTalker (02-17-2021)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The thought of having a car that will never need the transmission repaired or replaced, never need a radiator, a starter, an alternator, fuel rail, timing chain, injectors, oil change, water pump, tune up, exhaust, fuel filter, etc, etc, etc, is AWESOME!

Or how about that cold morning when the car doesn't start?

Electric cars have got to be SO much more reliable and secure.

And they probably last FAR longer.

I can't figure out why none of the MFRs are looking at a system where the batteries are designed to an industry standard, and created so they are easily replaceable, and come up from the bottom.

That way, an electric vehicle could pull into a battery-swap station, much like a current gas station, pull up onto a rack, pay the fee, and have a depleted batter pack swapped out for a freshly charged one.

Car-owners wouldn't even need to own the battery pack.

The government could set standards for how much charge a battery pack must have in order to be used. If they won't meet the minimum, then they cannot be installed, and must be sent for recycling.

That would totally solve the charge-time issue.

It would make EV's viable for long-range driving.
    It's easier to charge a battery than to constantly swap them. And Tesla is developing super charge stations that can fully charge a battery in under 15 mins. It's a little longer than bring at a gas pump, but not by much.

Even if it takes a half hour to fully charge a battery on a road trip, so what? You could spend the time having lunch.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello American Man,

Quote Originally Posted by American Man View Post
    It's easier to charge a battery than to constantly swap them. And Tesla is developing super charge stations that can fully charge a battery in under 15 mins. It's a little longer than bring at a gas pump, but not by much.

Even if it takes a half hour to fully charge a battery on a road trip, so what? You could spend the time having lunch.
    Yeah, but how much does that technology cost?

If it is too much it's like saying only the rich should reduce emissions.

Which is absurd. It is going to take all of us.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Some things don't add up.

I have heard that most people who get en electric car don't usually switch back to gas.

So, if they are keeping them, how come used ones can be so low priced?

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by American Manlover View Post
    Chevy, Kia, Nissan, and Toyota have been making EVs for about a decade and the older ones are pretty cheap.
    There's a reason for that.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    At least you'll have a place to haul spare batteries...
    Load limit is 10,000 pounds, isn't it?