Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Using Free Speech To Trigger Others

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default Using Free Speech To Trigger Others

    Let's use Hannibal Lecter as an example. He caused the guy next his cell to swallow his own tongue and kill himself by whispering to him.

    Was he directly responsible for it? Does it make him a murderer?

    Here's another example. This one is fivehead.



    They think she was directly responsible for it.

    Discussions about politicians doing the same are welcome here.

    EDIT - To clarify, it doesn't have to involve causing a murder or suicide. It could be anything.
    Last edited by AProudLefty; 02-14-2021 at 11:29 PM.

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    Another good example is Clark Griswold. Was he responsible for the kidnapping of his boss?

  3. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    33,332
    Thanks
    12,686
    Thanked 9,323 Times in 7,171 Posts
    Groans
    394
    Groaned 2,160 Times in 1,990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Some people are 'charismatic' and are like a magnate. Jim Jones and his*People's Temple is an example.
    Some people are natural 'Leaders', ... some people are natural 'Followers'.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    AProudLefty (02-14-2021)

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Some people are 'charismatic' and are like a magnate. Jim Jones and his*People's Temple is an example.
    Some people are natural 'Leaders', ... some people are natural 'Followers'.
    Yes. The question really is, were they "directly" responsible for it?

    People are free to join any cult or organization. That's on them.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

    Jack (02-15-2021)

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    15,385
    Thanks
    1,032
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 3,764 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Using Free Speech To Trigger Others
    Why would you want to do what only shit people do?
    Nothing matters if you are not strong enough to say it out loud.<<<<<<<<<<<<TUCKER (3/3/21)

  8. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    Two more good examples: Mein Kampf and the Communist Manifesto.

  9. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    15,385
    Thanks
    1,032
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 3,764 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Two more good examples: Mein Kampf and the Communist Manifesto.
    Triggering people was not the point of either, as you were supposed to know, likely do know, WORM.
    Nothing matters if you are not strong enough to say it out loud.<<<<<<<<<<<<TUCKER (3/3/21)

  10. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Triggering people was not the point of either, as you were supposed to know, likely do know, WORM.
    Then Marx and Hitler weren't really responsible?

  11. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    They wanted this banned. Why?


  12. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    33,332
    Thanks
    12,686
    Thanked 9,323 Times in 7,171 Posts
    Groans
    394
    Groaned 2,160 Times in 1,990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Yes. The question really is, were they "directly" responsible for it?

    People are free to join any cult or organization. That's on them.
    Interesting question.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    AProudLefty (02-15-2021)

  14. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Interesting question.
    Oh yeah. Someone started a thread on DP or other site, cannot remember exactly. Basically the gist of the argument is that are people responsible for others' actions based on their speeches. It naturally got a lot of angry responses but if you really think about it, it's a good question.

    Like, for example, if I said that I wish that person would get beat up badly. And that person gets beaten up badly. Am I responsible for that?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

    Jack (02-15-2021)

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    33,332
    Thanks
    12,686
    Thanked 9,323 Times in 7,171 Posts
    Groans
    394
    Groaned 2,160 Times in 1,990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Oh yeah. Someone started a thread on DP or other site, cannot remember exactly. Basically the gist of the argument is that are people responsible for others' actions based on their speeches. It naturally got a lot of angry responses but if you really think about it, it's a good question.

    Like, for example, if I said that I wish that person would get beat up badly. And that person gets beaten up badly. Am I responsible for that?
    I think the 'word' they use today is: 'Influencer'. Are you a person that has the charisma to influence others.

    "What is an Influencer? – Social Media Influencers Defined [Updated 2021]"
    https://influencermarketinghub.com/w...an-influencer/

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    AProudLefty (02-15-2021)

  18. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    Charles Manson is another great example.


  19. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    27,222
    Thanks
    9,171
    Thanked 5,724 Times in 4,678 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,355 Times in 1,300 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think the 'word' they use today is: 'Influencer'. Are you a person that has the charisma to influence others.

    "What is an Influencer? – Social Media Influencers Defined [Updated 2021]"
    https://influencermarketinghub.com/w...an-influencer/
    There are a lot of that going on around us and nobody bats an eye.

    We are so used to ads everywhere that we hardly notice them anymore.

  20. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    33,332
    Thanks
    12,686
    Thanked 9,323 Times in 7,171 Posts
    Groans
    394
    Groaned 2,160 Times in 1,990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    There are a lot of that going on around us and nobody bats an eye.

    We are so used to ads everywhere that we hardly notice them anymore.
    I think this is more an idea of 'finding the right person' to hawk the Product, than the Product. It's not 'just a pretty face' anymore. It's finding a person that people want to follow.

Similar Threads

  1. Trump censors free speech. Yes, your hero Trump is an enemy of free spech.
    By jacksonsprat22 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2020, 08:57 PM
  2. Free Speech??
    By RB 60 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 02-12-2018, 02:21 PM
  3. Having free speech does not mean you are free from consequence
    By Sun Devil in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
  4. So much for free speech
    By NOVA in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 07:14 AM
  5. What is 'Free Speech'?
    By Lowaicue in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •