Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Herd Immunity Is Not Around the Corner

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 7,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    When the polio vaccine was administered they did not ask. They came into schools and lined us up. When you got to the front, you got the vaccine. Polio was eradicated because we did not have rightys crying about the vaccines. The anti-science special cases are doing real damage. I hope they are proud.
    Polio is also passed along from person to person, as I was wrong by saying it was not. But Polio nor smallpox was never in a pandemic stage anywhere in the world.

There were only 50,000 Americans that experienced having the disease even in the breakout years at any one time, and only 2% of them died from it.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeko Sportivo View Post
    I was wrong.
    Indeed.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Who told you that?
    History Books!

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Indeed.
    EAT A DICK!

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,519 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Blog Entries

Big Monkey Dollop

you folks stay at home, scared, we got this, we'll go back to life and keep the economy going. stay home, stay scared. it's all good. we got this.

Delusional prosemitic twat.

Haw, haw.......................................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But Polio nor smallpox was never in a pandemic stage anywhere in the world.
    Is that so?

Smallpox was endemic to Europe, Asia and Arabia for centuries, a persistent menace that killed three out of ten people it infected and left the rest with pockmarked scars. But the death rate in the Old World paled in comparison to the devastation wrought on native populations in the New World when the smallpox virus arrived in the 15th century with the first European explorers.

The indigenous peoples of modern-day Mexico and the United States had zero natural immunity to smallpox and the virus cut them down by the tens of millions.

There hasn’t been a kill off in human history to match what happened in the Americas—90 to 95 percent of the indigenous population wiped out over a century. Mexico went from 11 million people pre-conquest to one million.

https://www.history.com/news/pandemics-end-plague-cholera-black-death-smallpox

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

History Books!
    I don't believe you.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 26 Posts

In UK covid 19 killer pandemic virus, apparently has no effect on Soccer and Rugby players. Not one police officer has suffered from the KILLER virus despite they turn out in the multi hundreds, arms linked while they batter members of the public for not wearing a mask. Not forgetting when they sit huddled together in their police van as they work up the hate.
    During all this I am not allowed to meet my next door neighbour for fear of being dragged away by the Stasi.
    YES - THIS KILLER PANDEMIC IS A TRICKY LITTLE BUGGER ALL RIGHT.

LIFE IS SHORT - SMILE WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TEETH.

we must all learn to hear what we do not like - the questions is not, "is it pleasant?" but, "is it true?"

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,344 Times in 8,502 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,704 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    So what should we do next?
    We need to keep playing it by ear. We need to keep making adjustments, and finding the best solution. Education is important, so Biden is right to try to open that up as much as he can. Strip clubs are less important, but if we get low numbers, we should open them up too. If we get high numbers, there is no way we should open up strip clubs, and unfortunately we might have to close schools too.

If we do reach herd immunity, or do wipe out the disease through clustering vaccinations and/or quarantining around breakouts, then happy days, throw away the masks, hug and kiss your neighbor.

On the other hand, the South African variant is somewhat vaccine resistant, and the English variant has higher transmission numbers. If these start hitting America hard, and killing rising numbers, then lockdowns will not be perfect, but they will be something. Even if they do not hit America, and vaccines work somewhat, some social distancing and masks could be just the thing to lower the R number under 1.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    We need to keep playing it by ear. We need to keep making adjustments, and finding the best solution. Education is important, so Biden is right to try to open that up as much as he can. Strip clubs are less important, but if we get low numbers, we should open them up too. If we get high numbers, there is no way we should open up strip clubs, and unfortunately we might have to close schools too.

If we do reach herd immunity, or do wipe out the disease through clustering vaccinations and/or quarantining around breakouts, then happy days, throw away the masks, hug and kiss your neighbor.

On the other hand, the South African variant is somewhat vaccine resistant, and the English variant has higher transmission numbers. If these start hitting America hard, and killing rising numbers, then lockdowns will not be perfect, but they will be something. Even if they do not hit America, and vaccines work somewhat, some social distancing and masks could be just the thing to lower the R number under 1.
    Something never before in human history done, and something that is illegal, something that is profoundly ignorant and abusive, ....but it is something!
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Something never before in human history done
    Lockdowns, quarantining, social distancing, even masks have been done often in human history. They have all been done in America.

The problem here is you have become too used to everything being taken care of. Your life is easy, because experts are working hard to avoid these horrible breakouts that used to be quite frequent, but now are rare. You are surprised when one happens now, and think this is an all new thing.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lockdowns, quarantining, social distancing, even masks have been done often in human history. They have all been done in America.

The problem here is you have become too used to everything being taken care of. Your life is easy, because experts are working hard to avoid these horrible breakouts that used to be quite frequent, but now are rare. You are surprised when one happens now, and think this is an all new thing.
    Pandemic Lockdowns of entire populations regardless of risk have never been done before now.

QUARANTINE of the sick and vulnerable is what our ancestors did and taught us.

The End
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

For a year now, the right wing promised us herd immunity was around the corner. It was a lazy reaction to the pandemic. We would not have to do anything, and the pandemic would just stop.

Lets look at a place that is far ahead of us on the path towards herd immunity. Brazil's President says Covid-19 is a hoax. They have made far less of an attempt to stop it than the USA. The biggest city in the Amazon, Manaus, was hardest hit. In April, the city of 2 million was filling mass graves as quickly as they could dig them, but by June, deaths had gone back to pre-pandemic levels. Locals started talking about herd immunity being achieved.

A peer reviewed study entitled "Covid-19 herd immunity in the Brazilian Amazon" said that 76% of the people had immunity, based on tests for antibodies among blood donors. Throughout Brazil there was rejoicing, and even further ignoring of preventative measures. If everyone is immune, why bother with masks?

And now the second wave is hitting. Manaus' hospitals filled up in January. Deaths are almost as high as they were at the highest point, and are continuing to rise. They are digging mass graves as quickly as they can... AGAIN.

What went wrong? Nobody really knows why we cannot seem to get herd immunity with Covid-19, but it is clear that herd immunity is not close. Some theories are:

https://www.economist.com/the-americ...y-it-was-wrong
    We will just have to buck up, hang in there, and do our best for as long as it takes.

It's the humans vs the bug. We've got brains. All we have to do is use them. We will prevail.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Walt (02-25-2021)

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Pandemic Lockdowns of entire populations regardless of risk have never been done before now.
    Actually, they have been done before.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Herd Immunity Is Not Around the Corner

Akshually, it probably is. 18-24 months is what it takes. I've been saying that from the very begimning.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see