Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.C. Pays Dearly After Letting a Medical Marijuana Patient Die in Jail

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Default D.C. Pays Dearly After Letting a Medical Marijuana Patient Die in Jail

the 'law' at work

As a toddler, Jonathan Magbie was stuck by a drunk driver. He survived for 23 years, paralyzed from the neck down, until one day he was arrested for using medical marijuana to treat his pain. Magbie died in jail four days later.
    This week, Magbie’s family settled a wrongful death suit, bringing this unfathomable tragedy back into the spotlight:

Attorneys for his mother, Mary R. Scott, declined to provide details of the financial settlement, which she reached with the city, private contractors and the insurance company that covered doctors at the hospital. The American Civil Liberties Union, which represented Scott, called the settlement "substantial" in a news release.

Magbie's mother was furious that the judge did not give her son probation, the typical punishment for first-time offenders. Magbie, paralyzed since being hit by a drunk driver at age 4, had no criminal record. Retchin told a judicial commission that she sentenced Magbie to jail because he said he would continue to smoke marijuana to alleviate his pain. [Washington Post]
    He was literally singled out for using medical marijuana and being honest about the fact that his condition required continued use. Anyone still struggling to understand the persecution of patients in the war on medical marijuana need look no further than this.
    And, as Dan Bernath at MPP points out, voters in Washington, D.C. overwhelmingly passed a law back in 1998 to protect patients like Jonathan from arrest. If Congressional drug warriors hadn’t continually blocked the implementation of D.C.’s medical marijuana law, Magbie would probably never have been arrested, never died in jail, and D.C. taxpayers wouldn’t have to foot the bill for the mindblowing callousness and incompetence that took his life.
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

2. #2 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

It is truly mind-boggling that our officials have no problem with giving people morphine for pain, but refuse to let them use marijuana to treat pain.

On any level morphine is a more dangerous drug. It is also impossible to predict the side effects of it. My mom died after being in a coma for 3 weeks from a morphine dose stopping her breathing for several minutes. It was the same dosage she was taking after a prior surgery just a couple of weeks before.

Let them use marijuana for medical reasons and give up this nonsensical "war on drugs". Like real war, it has too many collateral casualties.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    It is truly mind-boggling that our officials have no problem with giving people morphine for pain, but refuse to let them use marijuana to treat pain.

On any level morphine is a more dangerous drug. It is also impossible to predict the side effects of it. My mom died after being in a coma for 3 weeks from a morphine dose stopping her breathing for several minutes. It was the same dosage she was taking after a prior surgery just a couple of weeks before.

Let them use marijuana for medical reasons and give up this nonsensical "war on drugs". Like real war, it has too many collateral casualties.
    I hate to tell you but at any level tobacco is the most dangerous drug known to man and has killed vastly more people than all drugs combined.

It was funny, I was in a tobacco shop in North Carolina and those red necks were talking about how pot smokers should all be locked up and the keys thrown away. When I mentioned though, that there are very few deaths recorded from pot use but tobacco kills about half a million people a year and why aren't they throwing tobacco growers in prison? Why aren't the executives at the tobacco companies facing the death penalty? They are the biggest mass muderers in world history afterall. They told me I was an asshole.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Crippled from the neck down, but he has a gun in his pocket. Wonder why they did not charge him with the gun possession???

Magbie's ordeal began Sept. 20, 2004, when D.C. Superior Court Judge Judith E. Retchin sentenced him to jail after he pleaded guilty to possessing marijuana. D.C. police found a gun and marijuana in Magbie's pockets in April 2003 after stopping a vehicle driven by a cousin of his. Magbie admitted buying the marijuana, records show.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post

Crippled from the neck down, but he has a gun in his pocket. Wonder why they did not charge him with the gun possession???

Magbie's ordeal began Sept. 20, 2004, when D.C. Superior Court Judge Judith E. Retchin sentenced him to jail after he pleaded guilty to possessing marijuana. D.C. police found a gun and marijuana in Magbie's pockets in April 2003 after stopping a vehicle driven by a cousin of his. Magbie admitted buying the marijuana, records show.
    LOL, you don't know? try getting that charge past a jury.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mottleydude View Post
    I hate to tell you but at any level tobacco is the most dangerous drug known to man and has killed vastly more people than all drugs combined.

It was funny, I was in a tobacco shop in North Carolina and those red necks were talking about how pot smokers should all be locked up and the keys thrown away. When I mentioned though, that there are very few deaths recorded from pot use but tobacco kills about half a million people a year and why aren't they throwing tobacco growers in prison? Why aren't the executives at the tobacco companies facing the death penalty? They are the biggest mass muderers in world history afterall. They told me I was an asshole.
    I agree with your sentiment but I'm curious to see a statistic for the "very few deaths" directly linked to pot.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
    I agree with your sentiment but I'm curious to see a statistic for the "very few deaths" directly linked to pot.
    Pot has never caused someone to die.

There are indirect deaths, like when someone takes it and then sets out driving. Also, there's possible psychological harm. But it's never caused someone to die.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Pot has never caused someone to die.

There are indirect deaths, like when someone takes it and then sets out driving. Also, there's possible psychological harm. But it's never caused someone to die.

Tell that to these people.

http://www.latimes.com/video/?autoSt...clipId=3199647

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-fg-mo...tory?track=rss

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Short of being crushed to death by a falling bale of pot, I don't see a way.

There are certainly no direct deaths in the sense of overdoses.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

12. #12 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post

I am so sorry!

Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the end of prohibition! We need to stop the wasteful and nonsensical "war on drugs"

When the government says they are declaring war on something, be sure it will become the government "dark hole" for tax payers dollars!

13. #13 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mottleydude View Post

Wear the badge proudly! I would!

14. #14 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Now is a great time for MJ to be legalized.

It would be great for the economy.
    Isn't it still our largest cash crop? Government would just be able to tax it and make HUGE money!

I have also written tobacco companies and told them they could plant marijuana with their tobacco and it would enrich the soil that tobacco depletes and they could increase their shrinking profits in America.

It is sad there are still those that believe government propaganda!

Just like alcohol, it isn't going away.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

NEWSFLASH to all Obamanauts ...

Your new Attorney General Eric Holder, chosen by the messiah himself, not only agrees with tough sentences for ALL marijuana use and possesion, he was behind the tough DC legislation spoken of in this thread.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.