Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: life on other planets

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Default life on other planets

Well I tend to think there is and has been even possible intelligent beings, b ut the main reasons I think there is life out there are 2 main factors.

The sheer numbers of galaxies and planets .

The Hubble telescope has been active for awhile, and its estimated that there are 125 billion galaxies in the observable universes. As for planets that's any bodys guess.

Next for me would be some examples on planet earth, namely extremophiles. For those of you who don't know what they are look it up. to me the water bear is a great example but there are many others.

As for truly intelligent life forms say with the intelligence of primitive humans or perhaps great apes or more intelligent creatures , its possible such species have came and gone as the universe is estimated at about 14.5 billion years old and earth is about 4.5 billion.
    So such species could have come and gone in that time and we will never know about them.

They could be out there now even at our primitive level and we would never know.
    What it takes for a planet like earth to form and be protected so that life can evolve is a amazing number of events to all line up over time.

It starts at the very beginning as dust lumps together and form a planet at just the right distance from a sun to hits from asteroids and meteors and comments carrying various organic materials, , the odd are not in life's favor at all but against it.

Yet Im sure the universe is teaming with basic like such as extremophiles and maybe more , spread over billions of light years apart.

We may indeed be the cream of the crop the most advanced species in the universe , which by the way is a sad thought .
    Then again we may be very low on the scale of intelligence .
    We will never know the answers and maybe that's a good thing I don't know.

For some reason I think we may have been visited in the past by a race of people who travel in space maybe in time like the adventures on the high seas, its just a feeling I get from reading history books and other material .
    Again I will never know the answers to this in my life span but , I do wonder what others more advanced then us, if they do or did exist would think of us.

Its hard to think of the possible advances inn science and medicine and flight and space travel a species could develop given the time and conditions to do so.
    Our own race has made huge strides in the last 140 years even with all the wars we had , and in the last 70 years these advances have been huge coming in leaps and bounds so to speak with amazing results .

I hope its humans from earth that end up being the top dog over time if we don't kill each other off first , I actually have a lot of faith in that .

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I hear that Joe Biter's new Secretary of Transportation wants to send a probe to Uranus.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,455 Times in 52,469 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Anonymous View Post
    I hear that Joe Biter's new Secretary of Transportation wants to send a probe to Uranus.
    Legina loooooves anal probes. The bigger the better.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (02-11-2021), Minister of Truth (02-12-2021), ThatOwlWoman (02-11-2021)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Well I tend to think there is and has been even possible intelligent beings, b ut the main reasons I think there is life out there are 2 main factors.

The sheer numbers of galaxies and planets .....

...I hope its humans from earth that end up being the top dog over time if we don't kill each other off first , I actually have a lot of faith in that .
    Agreed the odds are there is life elsewhere in the Universe, even if it's only one per galaxy.

Not sure if we've been visited before. Our solar system is in a relative backwater.

Top dog? Maybe one of the signs a civilization is intelligent enough to explore the Universe is by realizing they aren't dogs at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Bulletbob (02-11-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I see no reason to assume that God would have created a universe so vast that it is impossible to ever travel from one end to the other, just for us......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Bulletbob (02-11-2021), Minister of Truth (02-12-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,686 Times in 27,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

The biggest hurdle to life as we know it is not the number of galaxies, star systems, or potentially habitable planets.

The biggest problem is emergence: how is the threshold crossed from a soup of organic molecules, to extremely complex, self-organizing, self-replicating cells possessing metabolism and genetic material.

We can produce amino acids and pre-biotic organic molecules synthetically under laboratory conditions. But after 70 years of trying we have not come remotely close to approaching the threshold of life. Even a simple prokaryotic cell is so vastly complex, we seem light years away from being able to duplicate it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bulletbob (02-11-2021), christiefan915 (02-11-2021)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by The Anonymous View Post
    no that would be hunter being probed again by strippers with a dildo as per the new article

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Legina loooooves anal probes. The bigger the better.
    hunter likes his probes it big I hear, at least thats what the strippers said that used them on him

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,769 Times in 27,243 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I see no reason to assume that God would have created a universe so vast that it is impossible to ever travel from one end to the other, just for us......
    well all we know for now is its beyond our ability and may remain so for thousands of years of not longer

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The biggest hurdle to life as we know it is not the number of galaxies, star systems, or potentially habitable planets.

The biggest problem is emergence: how is the threshold crossed from a soup of organic molecules, to extremely complex, self-organizing, self-replicating cells possessing metabolism and genetic material.

We can produce amino acids and pre-biotic organic molecules synthetically under laboratory conditions. But after 70 years of trying we have not come remotely close to approaching the threshold of life. Even a simple prokaryotic cell is so vastly complex, we seem light years away from being able to duplicate it.
    well Im not sure we should be able to duplicate it to be honest .

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed the odds are there is life elsewhere in the Universe, even if it's only one per galaxy.

Not sure if we've been visited before. Our solar system is in a relative backwater.

Top dog? Maybe one of the signs a civilization is intelligent enough to explore the Universe is by realizing they aren't dogs at all.
    I agree with you dutch , As far as being visited in the past who knows I actually doubt it but its possible. Many of our ancient legends have some type of base such as many of the Greek monsters could be based on dino bones put together wrongly not knowing what they actually were and people decided that was what they were not dinos extent but monsters.
    I tend to think any planets like to ours are very rare and advance life forms are ever more rare.like you said one in a galaxy would be reasonable one out of billions of planets in a single galaxy .

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Going after Hunter ain’t going to get you anywhere penis breath
    Correct.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

hunter likes his probes it big I hear, at least thats what the strippers said that used them on him
    I doubt that story since prostitution is illegal, even in New York. The bar would be shut down for illegal sexual services.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I agree with you dutch , As far as being visited in the past who knows I actually doubt it but its possible. Many of our ancient legends have some type of base such as many of the Greek monsters could be based on dino bones put together wrongly not knowing what they actually were and people decided that was what they were not dinos extent but monsters.
    I tend to think any planets like to ours are very rare and advance life forms are ever more rare.like you said one in a galaxy would be reasonable one out of billions of planets in a single galaxy .
    There's no evidence of alien visitation. The stories and myths could be related to that but they could also be related to earlier human civilizations that collapsed or human time travelers.

The collapsed civilization idea seems the most plausible due to the time elements.

Consider that anatomically modern mankind has been around for about 300,000 years and that modern thinking man has been around for about 30,000.

Consider how far we've come in the past 5000 years.

Consider that if any great civilizations existed in the northern latitude before or during the last ice age, 11,700 to 115,000 years, it would have been ground into power by the glaciers. Nonetheless, there would have still be humans to tell the tale.