Thread: This Ought to Work

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Default This Ought to Work

Let's re-inflate the bubble!

The Treasury Department is strongly considering a plan to intervene directly in the mortgage industry to dramatically force down rates and stimulate the moribund housing market, according to sources familiar with the proposal.

Under the initiative, the Treasury would offer to buy securities that finance newly issued loans for home purchases, according to the sources. But to participate in the government's program, mortgage lenders would have to set exceptionally low interest rates, for instance, no more than 4.5 percent for traditional, 30-year fixed-rate loans.

These securities would be purchased primarily from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the financing giants that buy most mortgages from U.S. lenders, according to sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the plan has not been finalized.

The cost of the plan and source of funding remain unclear. One possibility is for the Treasury to raise money by issuing bonds to the public at 3 percent interest. This could allow the government to turn a profit because it would be buying securities that pay 4.5 percent.

At a meeting attended by the Treasury's Interim Assistant Secretary for Financial Stability Neel Kashkari and the National Association of Realtors in mid-November, senior Treasury officials said they were optimistic that subsidizing lower mortgage rates with taxpayer dollars would help revive the housing market, sources said.

Jackasses. Not only is it a stupid idea on the merits, but even if they don't do it, and they shouldn't, when people hear this kind of stuff they believe it and if they're looking to buy they wait to see what happens, further eroding the market in the short-term.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...302889_pf.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

4.5% for 30year fixed? that's insane. I wont bite tho. im over 50% thru mine so paying 55/45 equity right now.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    4.5% for 30year fixed? that's insane. I wont bite tho. im over 50% thru mine so paying 55/45 equity right now.

It wouldn't include refis so you wouldn't be able to participate. For now.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How about second homes?
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Um... just to point out the obvious....

If you have a $400k home and have say 50% equity.... why would you NOT refi the remaining 50% if you can drop your interest rate? Just because you lower the required payment doesn't mean you couldn't continue making your current payment.... which would result in your paying down equity even faster.

Obviously this only works if you refi the non-equity portion.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

More of the same to fix the problem the same caused. Yeah about right for our stupit government and business.

This has been my position on the bailouts and such, excessive credit caused this mess so we need to keep excessive credit flowing ?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I have re-financed one time in my house owning years. I was in dire financial straits due to bad investments and refinancing was the only way to keep the payment down so that I could continue to make the payment and keep the house. Like SF said, obviously it cost me in the long run but at the time I did it I had to do it. I have lived much more comfortably (and carefully, I might add) since and the place will be paid for in about 4 years.

I say this to point out that it depends on one's situation as to whether to refinance. And yes, I know the original post has nothing to do with refinancing but Chap did bring it up.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    More of the same to fix the problem the same caused. Yeah about right for our stupit government and business.

This has been my position on the bailouts and such, excessive credit caused this mess so we need to keep excessive credit flowing ?
    Makes great sense doesn't it uscitizen?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I have re-financed one time in my house owning years. I was in dire financial straits due to bad investments and refinancing was the only way to keep the payment down so that I could continue to make the payment and keep the house. Like SF said, obviously it cost me in the long run but at the time I did it I had to do it. I have lived much more comfortably (and carefully, I might add) since and the place will be paid for in about 4 years.

I say this to point out that it depends on one's situation as to whether to refinance. And yes, I know the original post has nothing to do with refinancing but Chap did bring it up.

As long as the expense (ie... points paid) are less than the interest saved, then everyone should re-fi their existing debt.

Obviously if you ADD to that debt by taking equity out of your home, that is an individual decision. I would personally not recommend it in this type of market, but it could as leaning points out, help out in bad times.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Makes great sense doesn't it uscitizen?
    Ohh it makes great sense for a select few to enrich them further. But sucks for the country.

The empire is in decline and Nero is playing the fiddle while the masses watch the circuses.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts

Basically most loans work like this....

I borrow 200k at 5% for 20 years....

I end up paying mortgage payments equalling 350k....

The bank's profit is 150k minus inflation (compounded by 20 years)

CK
    Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
    graphs generally follow each other, which means there's not constant factor ya moron

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Um... just to point out the obvious....

If you have a $400k home and have say 50% equity.... why would you NOT refi the remaining 50% if you can drop your interest rate? Just because you lower the required payment doesn't mean you couldn't continue making your current payment.... which would result in your paying down equity even faster.

Obviously this only works if you refi the non-equity portion.
    im at 5.25% now. paying 55% equity on the amortization curve. How would it be beneficial for me to refinance to 4.5% so that im paying 1% of equity beginning of the amortization curve plus all of the couple hundred extra in principle difference between 4.5-5.25%? I have yet to crunch the numbers but it doesn't make sense from just thinking about it now.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

im at 5.25% now. paying 55% equity on the amortization curve. How would it be beneficial for me to refinance to 4.5% so that im paying 1% of equity beginning of the amortization curve plus all of the couple hundred extra in principle difference between 4.5-5.25%? I have yet to crunch the numbers but it doesn't make sense from just thinking about it now.
    Say your home cost $400k... you have $200k paid off.

If your original loan was at 5.25% for 15 years your pmt is approx $3215

Say you refi the remaining $200k at 4.5 for 15 years your pmt is $1530

If you refi, but continue paying the $3215 you will be paying your principal down FASTER. While on the new loan you will be at the early part of the curve, you will still end up paying the loan back faster than you would if you remained in your current loan.

Now, this obviously does not include refi points. So the points expense cannot outweigh the interest saved... otherwise it doesn't work in your favor. At 5.25% you are likely correct in your decision not to refi. Whereas someone who has a 30 yr fixed at 5.75% it would likely make sense. Typically, you need to drop by a point in order for it to make sense.
    Quote from Cypress:

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Say your home cost $400k... you have $200k paid off.

If your original loan was at 5.25% for 15 years your pmt is approx $3215

Say you refi the remaining $200k at 4.5 for 15 years your pmt is $1530

If you refi, but continue paying the $3215 you will be paying your principal down FASTER. While on the new loan you will be at the early part of the curve, you will still end up paying the loan back faster than you would if you remained in your current loan.

Now, this obviously does not include refi points. So the points expense cannot outweigh the interest saved... otherwise it doesn't work in your favor. At 5.25% you are likely correct in your decision not to refi. Whereas someone who has a 30 yr fixed at 5.75% it would likely make sense. Typically, you need to drop by a point in order for it to make sense.
    gonna PM you

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks Chap for proving my points