Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good time to implement universal healthcare?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Good time to implement universal healthcare?

With all this talk of billions of dollars of bailout for the auto companies perhaps it makes sense to talk about piloting a universal health care for the employees. After all the reason American companies cant compete with Toyota or Honda is because there cost per hour is in the 80's when you include all the ridiculously bloated health care benefits they are given versus a Toyota worker making 30's.

Perhaps some level of care is piloted employees from the auto companies sort of like for veterans and then we do away with the UAW.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    With all this talk of billions of dollars of bailout for the auto companies perhaps it makes sense to talk about piloting a universal health care for the employees. After all the reason American companies cant compete with Toyota or Honda is because there cost per hour is in the 80's when you include all the ridiculously bloated health care benefits they are given versus a Toyota worker making 30's.

Perhaps some level of care is piloted employees from the auto companies sort of like for veterans and then we do away with the UAW.
    Did you watch Rachel Maddow last night? She had the Steelworkers' union president (I think) on and he addressed this very issue. He said that auto workers in every other developed country have universal health care and so this cost is not carried forward in the cost of the vehicles they produce.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Did you watch Rachel Maddow last night? She had the Steelworkers' union president (I think) on and he addressed this very issue. He said that auto workers in every other developed country have universal health care and so this cost is not carried forward in the cost of the vehicles they produce.
    No didnt watch but it just makes sense. How can we compete when right from the start we are down 2000 on a car.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

With many more americans expected to lose healthcare duinrg the next few months and beyond it is the perfect time to implement it. From a good for the people perspective.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    With many more americans expected to lose healthcare duinrg the next few months and beyond it is the perfect time to implement it. From a good for the people perspective.
    fuck it. we spending shit loads of money anyways. the rich will still get better care by buying private supplements.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

The right-wing hard-on for destroying the UAW is sickening. I didn't hear peep about the hundreds of billions of dollars of bailout (really trillions with all the bells and whistles) for the non-unionized finance guys. Horseshit.

Having said that, any time is a good time for universal healthcare and I think you will see the business community gradually coming around to supporting universal insurance so that they don't have to provide it anymore.

Lastly, your unquestioned acceptance of right-wing talking points that are at best half-truths (suggesting that current workers enjoy total compensation packages of 80 bucks an hour) bothers the shit out of me.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

No didnt watch but it just makes sense. How can we compete when right from the start we are down 2000 on a car.

Alternatively, instead of scrapping the union at GM, what's wrong with making is easier for the workers at Toyota to unionize? You know, leveling up instead of down.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    Lastly, your unquestioned acceptance of right-wing talking points that are at best half-truths (suggesting that current workers enjoy total compensation packages of 80 bucks an hour) bothers the shit out of me.
    Why. when you have to support 3 retired workers health care for every one worker that cost needs to be added somewhere.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    Alternatively, instead of scrapping the union at GM, what's wrong with making is easier for the workers at Toyota to unionize? You know, leveling up instead of down.
    Unionize for what? There are no unions in professional jobs. Unions are not necessary anymore. All that can be achieved with laws such as minimum wages.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Unionize for what? There are no unions in professional jobs. Unions are not necessary anymore. All that can be achieved with laws such as minimum wages.
    QFT
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
    QFT
    Fascist.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Unions are most certainly still necessary. The Dems rely on them to fund their campaigns.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well in Toyota's case they do pay the massive Japanese corporate tax.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They cause nothing but trouble. We have well established legislative branches now that can make the laws that protect people as opposed to needing unions to do it.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL, what you been smoking. Let them eat cake

Minimum wage jobs do not buy much and our economy is 2/3 consumer spending based.

Look beyond the end of your greedy nose man.