Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Have Not Eaten Out Since March 2020. We Need The Proposed $1400 Payments.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,096 Times in 13,073 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default I Have Not Eaten Out Since March 2020. We Need The Proposed $1400 Payments.

I made a commitment to minimize possible virus transmission as a part of my patriotism and self-protection. I neither wish to acquire nor spread the disease. I am not alone. Many of my friends have gone into seclusion.

I stopped eating out. This resulted in huge savings, so I also decided it was OK to shop at the ritzy food stores and not worry about the price of anything I buy. I have also become a better cook, something I was never really previously interested in.

The result is that, even though I am buying expensive food, I am spending less on food because no restaurant bills.

I feel badly for the servers, restaurant workers and musicians I no longer support, so I am happy to support government programs to supplant their missing income, such as the proposed additional $1400 direct payments.

Republicans want to try to make sure these payments go only to those shown to be in need, but I see that as ridiculous because there is no way to identify them. Many restaurant workers don't hold a job long enough to qualify for unemployment. The musicians are often not even employees. Many musical venues have already closed for lack of business. How is a business-owner to qualify for unemployment after having to shutter their business? They did not get laid off.

Naturally, these $1400 payments will go to some people who do not need them. That's fine, actually. Many people who get a windfall that is not needed will go out and buy something they would not have otherwise purchased. This creates jobs, work and hours for workers already employed.

Typically, if I want to buy something now, I order it online. There is a clear path from hospitality worker to warehouse/delivery work, so that is helpful for some, but not all.

We need those payments!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I can go up to three weeks between trips to the grocery store. I could actually press it beyond that, but it gets a little thin.

When I do shop, I typically go early in the morning when the store opens up.

Since I shop mostly at the same store, I know exactly where everything is. I create my list in the order that I will be walking through the store. I am on a mission to get everything on the list as quickly as possible and get out of the store.

Typically, it takes about 30-45 min to fill a cart, and when I get to the registers at that time of day there is no line. I can often do this and never come within 6' of another human.

When I get back home, every single item is wiped with a disinfectant wipe as it is brought inside.

Then the car and door handles are all wiped, the wallet, the credit card, the car keys, and the counter where things were processed.

Yes, it's all a big chore, but since enough food is purchased to go for as long as possible, the lengthy chore does not have to be repeated often.

This is my logical approach to doing my part as an American to limit the spread of the disease.

If everyone was that conscientious the pandemic would not be so bad.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ya run out of tomatoes for sandwiches, you use ketchup.

Ya run out of fresh lettuce, you use pickles.

If we get creative, we can kick this pandemic in the butt.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Actually if everyone had done that, the virus would effectively be gone. We would have resumed most activities with restrictions, but we would be semi normal. But we know how that worked out. I have to grocery shop for my parents once a week, so I try to do both at the same time, although that isn't always possible. I've engaged in pretty limited outdoor dining, it wasn't bad here in Florida when they had restrictions, but it's much harder now. The gym, sporting events, all of that has gone by the wayside. It's a shame they screwed up this vaccine thing so badly, clearly the issue is lack of coordination and lack of supply. How did we fail to order enough vaccine? In normal times, that would be THE scandal, when it comes to Trump, its just routine. How does anyone still defend this guy is beyond me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have never stopped eating out, so many places here in nyc simply went underground.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,789 Times in 33,647 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    I made a commitment to minimize possible virus transmission as a part of my patriotism and self-protection. I neither wish to acquire nor spread the disease. I am not alone. Many of my friends have gone into seclusion.

I stopped eating out. This resulted in huge savings, so I also decided it was OK to shop at the ritzy food stores and not worry about the price of anything I buy. I have also become a better cook, something I was never really previously interested in.

The result is that, even though I am buying expensive food, I am spending less on food because no restaurant bills.

I feel badly for the servers, restaurant workers and musicians I no longer support, so I am happy to support government programs to supplant their missing income, such as the proposed additional $1400 direct payments.

Republicans want to try to make sure these payments go only to those shown to be in need, but I see that as ridiculous because there is no way to identify them. Many restaurant workers don't hold a job long enough to qualify for unemployment. The musicians are often not even employees. Many musical venues have already closed for lack of business. How is a business-owner to qualify for unemployment after having to shutter their business? They did not get laid off.

Naturally, these $1400 payments will go to some people who do not need them. That's fine, actually. Many people who get a windfall that is not needed will go out and buy something they would not have otherwise purchased. This creates jobs, work and hours for workers already employed.

Typically, if I want to buy something now, I order it online. There is a clear path from hospitality worker to warehouse/delivery work, so that is helpful for some, but not all.

We need those payments!
    We order and have no contact delivery to support our favorite restaurants.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post

So "no contact delivery" really is not helping you right? the food is in that persons possession for a long time, leaving it at your door really doesn't help you. you know that right?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Underdog For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bull&Terrier View Post
    So "no contact delivery" really is not helping you right? the food is in that persons possession for a long time, leaving it at your door really doesn't help you. you know that right?
    We have been doing it since March with no problems.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We have been doing it since March with no problems.

no there is no problem doing it, I am just pointing out it's no safer than answering the door and having them hand the bag to you.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bull&Terrier View Post
    no there is no problem doing it, I am just pointing out it's no safer than answering the door and having them hand the bag to you.
    We prefer the no contact.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We prefer the no contact.

as I said no problem. just talking here my friend.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Underdog For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

I haven’t been to my favorite pub, or any pub, since March 13th, 2020, haven’t enjoyed a poured Guinness, proper Half and Half, argued sports, heard the latest, or enjoyed pointless conversations with friendly strangers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,571 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Corona cannot travel by itself. It requires a person to carry it someplace. It is easy to see that we have carried it everywhere. This pandemic is our own fault.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Corona cannot travel by itself. It requires a person to carry it someplace. It is easy to see that we have carried it everywhere. This pandemic is our own fault.
    It was unavoidable, our error wasn’t taking the proper measures to slow the spread, we still are committing the same errors even with the vaccines

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal

I contemplated doing that but decided it was safer to limit any possible contacts with other humans or things they have recently touched.

I bought a vehicle during the pandemic, but I refused to enter the dealer's building. They relented and brought the paperwork outside, where the deal was completed. After taking delivery of the vehicle I wore a mask while driving it, and then hardly drove it at all for over a week, giving any loose virus a chance to die.