Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I Have Not Eaten Out Since March 2020. We Need The Proposed $1400 Payments.

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,168 Times in 33,866 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    Well, experts say that microwaving the food for about 15 seconds should kill the virus if it's present.
    We remove everything from the containers, and wash our hands.

There is no evidence that people can get COVID-19 from eating food. However, sharing utensils and congregating around food service areas may present risks. If food is offered at any meeting or event, have individual, pre-packaged boxes or bags instead of a potluck, buffet, or family-style meal.Dec 31, 2020

www.cdc.gov › 2019-ncov › comm...

Considerations for Community-Based Organizations

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2021)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bull&Terrier,

Quote Originally Posted by Bull&Terrier View Post
    to me it sounds like a shit ton of excuse making, I remember when people were saying those in FL and red states deserved it because of their behavior. CA has managed the virus like idiots and newsome gets a pass by most on the left. why is that?
    People who voted for a leader are disinclined to criticize. What, in your view, has Newsome done to make the pandemic worse?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,303 Times in 13,425 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Don't worry. You are a dime a dozen. Obviously.
    No, guys like me aren't. In fact, we're getting harder and harder to find.

States Scramble to Find Skilled Tradespeople
    While plumbers, electricians and welders are needed across the nation, they’re in such short supply in some states that the issue has been making news headlines.

Miami “75,000 a year with benefits; no college needed. Yet local employers can’t fill jobs,” read the headline of a Miami Herald article published in September 2018.

In the midst of a construction boom in Florida, plumbers, electricians, carpenters and brick masons are hard to find. “We’re seeing it across the board,” explained the president of the Florida East Coast Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors, Peter Dyga.
    There are shortages in every trade.”
    https://www.tws.edu/blog/industry-ne...ades%20sectors.

St. Clair County faces skilled trades worker shortage
    https://www.thetimesherald.com/story...ng/4152971001/

Back in Vinnie Sposari’s day, plumbing was considered a good, honest living. Before shop classes started disappearing from high schools and four-year college was championed as the only respectable career path, Sposari could put a classified ad in Sunday’s paper and have six or eight résumés on his desk by Monday. Good résumés, too. But those days have gone the way of print newspapers.
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/339978

High-Paying Trade Jobs Sit Empty, While High School Grads Line Up For University
    https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018...for-university

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    We remove everything from the containers, and wash our hands.

There is no evidence that people can get COVID-19 from eating food. However, sharing utensils and congregating around food service areas may present risks. If food is offered at any meeting or event, have individual, pre-packaged boxes or bags instead of a potluck, buffet, or family-style meal.Dec 31, 2020

www.cdc.gov › 2019-ncov › comm...

Considerations for Community-Based Organizations

One positive aspect of this is that I have become a much better cook than I ever was!

I learned how to make a meat marinade from scratch. I'll buy expensive flank steaks because they really turn out to be a good value, even at over $20 for the package. They have no bones or fat. It's pretty much all great tender meat. Usually they go in the freezer until I'm ready for prep days or weeks later. Marinate for a day or so, then warm it up to room temp prior to broiling or grilling. Then, as soon as it comes off the heat, cover with foil for 5 minutes to let it 'season.' That helps seal in the juices and ensures uniformity in cooking. Since a flank steak varies in thickness there will always be parts of it more well done than others, so depending on the preference you learn where to slice out a serving. One of those big steaks will make about 5-6 individual meal portions. Eat what's needed immediately, then it goes in the fridge.

I had a steak and cheese sandwich today. Onions keep a long time. I sliced out some sharp ones and tossed 'em in a warm pan with some banana peppers and olive oil. Cover the pan. I came back to the computer and made a post while waiting. Then I sliced and diced some steak and cheddar cheese. After the onions and peppers were softened (which totally takes the sharpness right out of them,) I added the diced steak bits and cranked the heat up for a half minute. That quickly came up to temperature and the meat changed color. Then it was time to turn off the pan heat and add the cheese on top. Cover again. The cheese quickly melts. Bread from the freezer was toasted and lightly coated with mayo to soften and add moisture and flavor. Sprinkle some dried spices such as rosemary, thyme or dill, grown in the back yard. Assemble the sandwich and wipe the non-stick pan with yesterday's napkin, saved for just that purpose. That makes clean up easy. Essentially just run some water in it and add a little dish soap. It will be easily washed and dried at that point for the next use.

The marinated meat steak-and-cheese sandwich was scrumptious served with chips. None of the ingredients were fresh. It's been weeks since I was in the grocery store. I'll probably go this weekend.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-27-2021)

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Bull&Terrier,

People who voted for a leader are disinclined to criticize. What, in your view, has Newsome done to make the pandemic worse?

I get that.

Didn't newsome just reopen the state at 15% infection rate?

lets start there.

I have a whole list of shit he failed at, same with cuomo here in NY.

8. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Bull&Terrier;4203137]Didn't newsome just reopen the state at 15% infection rate? /QUOTE]

No.

But Newsom did.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...s-15896015.php

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

Broscience.
    No. Real science.

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nah I had it early, still have anti-bodies, I chose not to live in fear and not let our government kill small businesses for the sake of big box chains.
    You got lucky. You could get it again and it could be worse.

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No. Real science.

cool, link to the peer reviewed studies backing up your claim. thanks

12. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,325 Times in 9,833 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    I made a commitment to minimize possible virus transmission as a part of my patriotism and self-protection. I neither wish to acquire nor spread the disease. I am not alone. Many of my friends have gone into seclusion.

I stopped eating out. This resulted in huge savings, so I also decided it was OK to shop at the ritzy food stores and not worry about the price of anything I buy. I have also become a better cook, something I was never really previously interested in.

The result is that, even though I am buying expensive food, I am spending less on food because no restaurant bills.

I feel badly for the servers, restaurant workers and musicians I no longer support, so I am happy to support government programs to supplant their missing income, such as the proposed additional $1400 direct payments.

Republicans want to try to make sure these payments go only to those shown to be in need, but I see that as ridiculous because there is no way to identify them. Many restaurant workers don't hold a job long enough to qualify for unemployment. The musicians are often not even employees. Many musical venues have already closed for lack of business. How is a business-owner to qualify for unemployment after having to shutter their business? They did not get laid off.

Naturally, these $1400 payments will go to some people who do not need them. That's fine, actually. Many people who get a windfall that is not needed will go out and buy something they would not have otherwise purchased. This creates jobs, work and hours for workers already employed.

Typically, if I want to buy something now, I order it online. There is a clear path from hospitality worker to warehouse/delivery work, so that is helpful for some, but not all.

We need those payments!
    blow smoke up your own ass much?

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You got lucky. You could get it again and it could be worse.

Statistically that is highly unlikely.

now that's "science!"

so being healthy under 65 and having the antibodies, my chances of dying from covid are statistically nill. I am more likely to die driving to get the vaccine than I am from covid.

14. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Legion;4203146]

yeah I spell his name wrong. but yeah he just reopened with a near 15% infection rate.

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

cool, link to the peer reviewed studies backing up your claim. thanks
    The illiterate buffoon who doesn't even believe in science suddenly wants science?

Lol. I thought it was common knowledge thar microwaves kill viruses. But here's the peer-reviewed paper you demand showing that microwaves kill coronaviruses.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...45042000205874

16. The Following User Groans At TexanManWithPlans For This Awful Post:

Underdog (01-27-2021)

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

he just reopened with a near 15% infection rate.

You didn't expect consistency from a DEMOCRAT, did you?

The shutdowns were never about the virus.

Scientists said they wouldn't work, but DEMOCRATS needed to crash the economy to make sure Trump couldn't run on it.

Exaggerated fear of the Wu Flu was the excuse they needed to judicially override election integrity laws in key states.

Now that a DEMOCRAT is infesting the Oval Office again, the economy needs to start improving right away so DEMOCRATS can claim it's because of the usurper's policies.

Savvy?

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The illiterate buffoon who doesn't even believe in science suddenly wants science?

Lol. I thought it was common knowledge thar microwaves kill viruses. But here's the peer-reviewed paper you demand showing that microwaves kill coronaviruses.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...45042000205874

Thanks for that, its an interesting study but real world microwave results have been mixed:

An investigation into the question showed mixed results. The reader cautioned against microwaving paper any longer than 10 seconds because it could burn up, a problem that has apparently cropped up around the world in places such as Korea where it has been reported that people trying to sterilize their cash in the microwave caused it to begin disintegrating.

Whether high temperatures the microwave can generate will kill the virus remains non-definitive, say scientists at the World Health Organization, though tests conducted previously have shown that other viruses, such as HIV and avian coronavirus, died after being microwaved anywhere from five seconds to two minutes

https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/a...385f81eb6.html