Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's horror show isn't nearly over: The coup wasn't defeated, only slowed down

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    This entire thread is nothing more than whining.

The only ones still bringing up Trump are you losers on the left who can't let it go.

I am more than ready to focus on Biden but none of you want to discuss him because of your Trump frenzy.

His impeachment is going to be dismissed making you folks look even worse so the future doesn't seem good for democrats.

Trump has already been impeached, twice. His trial is in two weeks for insurrection.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Monsters are real. One does not defeat them by hiding.

They are not defeated by denying that they exist. Throwing them down the memory hole offers little if any safety. To vanquish the monsters of this world requires hard work and eternal vigilance.

Donald Trump proved himself to be one of the worst presidents in American history — if not the very worst. His "movement" was and remains a force of prodigious civic evil. To call Trump's political cult "deplorable" is, quite honestly, to elevate it above its real standing.

Last week, Joe Biden finally became president of the United States and the Democrats, at least on paper, maintain a tenuous hold on both houses of Congress.

But despite the historical verdict of the 81 million Americans who voted for Biden and the Democrats, Trump is likely to remain a fixture in American life and politics for years to come.

Trump's followers do not understand that they were beaten in the November election, and quite likely will never accept that. The Republican Party and its voters remain in thrall to Donald Trump. Ultimately, a force that does not know it has been defeated will not stop fighting.

Writing at the Guardian, Jonathan Freedland previews the next chapter in the Age of Trump:

If this were a horror flick — and, Lord knows, these past four years have felt like one — we know what would come next. We'd be at that stage of the movie where the monster has apparently been slain, when the hero stands amid the rubble and the ruin consoling those who have survived, calm seemingly restored — only for the audience to gasp as the demon stirs back to life, rising from the dead to inflict one last blow.Joe Biden is certainly well cast as the steadying presence come to clean up the mess. But the fear persists that the villain who created it will return. Donald Trump threatened as much in his last public statement as president, uttering the chilling words: "We will be back in some form."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...u5g?li=BBnbfcL

Todays winner for who has the most TDS. Thank you for your valuable contribution.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 15 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Trump has already been impeached, twice. His trial is in two weeks for insurrection.
    And he will get off twice, the votes for dismissal are already there lol.

That makes the left look like the political hacks they are.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 6,781 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not only will we be back,... but we will be back bigger, stronger, and in MUCH larger numbers. And YOU on the left will increase our numbers FOR US. Just like you did in 2010, and again in 2016. You will run totally hog fucking wild like small children for the next year and a half. You cant help yourself,... it is what you ALWAYS do. No guess work involved. The electorate will see the results and will know that you and only you are to blame because you control all levers of power. People will become less prosperous, have less money and freedom and there will be no way of hiding it.
    The part of me who wants a strong 2-party system hopes that intelligent Republicans prevail, the GOP leaves Trump behind and gets back to being a viable national party.

The progressive in me hopes that the Trump supporters win the heart & soul of the party, and the GOP stays in the wilderness for a generation.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have you ever wondered how it is a jury can comes to conclusion before the trial has even begone?

Actually it shows that the Republicans put their political careers above the Republic and support those that attempted to destroy the foundations this Nation was built upon. It is good enough to put them on record, then the People can decide.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,395 Times in 6,142 Posts
    Blog Entries

His impeachment is going to be dismissed making you folks look even worse so the future doesn't seem good for democrats.

You mean for democracy- and I concur.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello signalmankenneth,

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Monsters are real. One does not defeat them by hiding.

They are not defeated by denying that they exist. Throwing them down the memory hole offers little if any safety. To vanquish the monsters of this world requires hard work and eternal vigilance.

Donald Trump proved himself to be one of the worst presidents in American history — if not the very worst. His "movement" was and remains a force of prodigious civic evil. To call Trump's political cult "deplorable" is, quite honestly, to elevate it above its real standing.

Last week, Joe Biden finally became president of the United States and the Democrats, at least on paper, maintain a tenuous hold on both houses of Congress.

But despite the historical verdict of the 81 million Americans who voted for Biden and the Democrats, Trump is likely to remain a fixture in American life and politics for years to come.

Trump's followers do not understand that they were beaten in the November election, and quite likely will never accept that. The Republican Party and its voters remain in thrall to Donald Trump. Ultimately, a force that does not know it has been defeated will not stop fighting.

Writing at the Guardian, Jonathan Freedland previews the next chapter in the Age of Trump:

If this were a horror flick — and, Lord knows, these past four years have felt like one — we know what would come next. We'd be at that stage of the movie where the monster has apparently been slain, when the hero stands amid the rubble and the ruin consoling those who have survived, calm seemingly restored — only for the audience to gasp as the demon stirs back to life, rising from the dead to inflict one last blow.Joe Biden is certainly well cast as the steadying presence come to clean up the mess. But the fear persists that the villain who created it will return. Donald Trump threatened as much in his last public statement as president, uttering the chilling words: "We will be back in some form."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...u5g?li=BBnbfcL

"Ultimately, a force that does not know it has been defeated will not stop fighting."

It took years to root out all of the entrenched WWII Japanese fighters on distant islands who were out of touch with main command and never understood that the war was over.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Iolo/Penderyn,

Quote Originally Posted by Iolo/Penderyn View Post
    It's a bit difficult to see how a democracy can work where almost half the electorate is closed-mindedly neo-nazi. I do hope it works out, but I wonder if it can do so in the long run without a fight or a chopping-up of the US into at least two countries, one of which, Trumpistan, will sink quite quickly into sick barbarism. Here's hoping, whatever.
    Ya think it may have been a mistake to abandon the idea of a monarchy?

Things nicely settled back in the mother land?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,995 Times in 8,260 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

And YOU on the left will increase our numbers FOR US.
    You are failing. Seriously, you are failing.

The whole point of your kind of terrorism is to get increasing retribution from the government. That makes the government look unreasonable, and people join your movement in greater numbers. Instead, the government has had a measured and reasonable reaction, whereas the Alt Right terrorists look unreasonable, terrorists, who worse yet are losers. Only one sixth of Republicans support the terrorists who stormed the Capitol Building. Support for trump is dropping. Admittedly, it is not dropping as quickly as many would like, but it is going in the good direction.

The best part about this is I really do not see a way for you to turn around your failing.

People will become less prosperous, have less money and freedom and there will be no way of hiding it.
    Things are very bad right now... Which is good for Democrats. When things get better, Democrats get the credit for it, whether they deserve it or not. Let's say I am able to travel again a year from now. I will remember that Biden gave me the freedom, and prosperity of travel again, after trump took it away. Maybe that will not be fair, but tens of millions of voters will remember that in 2022 and 2024.

Beyond that, I believe the moderate, results based programs of the Biden team are better than the take a nap until noon, and then say wild things programs of trump. There is a huge amount of pent up growth that Republicans have been blocking, that could be released all at once. This could be big.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Tinker,

It's funny how the left thinks Trump was worse then the presidents who actually owned slaves.

Once again their racism peeks through.

And I'm a Trump supporter and I have no problem accepting his loss and I don't know anyone that does so this is all crap being made up by the left in their paranoid little minds.

Trump is gone so you can quit whining about him. You do realize there is a new guy in the white house doing things that are actually going to impact you don't you?
    Yeah, I think this view is a little too deep into the we/they theory. There's good and bad on both sides, smart and dumb on both sides.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,554 Times in 17,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

No, it does not. It makes it look like at least one party respects the law and will do the right thing. The reds have a chance to do the right thing, but their fear of Trump is stronger than the law and principles. This is making the Repugs show their dark and dirty colors. Those idiots would have been killed if the rioters caught them.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The hunters become the hunted.
    I look at the losers who stormed the Capitol, and I do not see them as being able to run things. We have a complex society, and they have no education. Lacking the ability to run things, I doubt they can hunt anyone down. I think the system, including the FBI will continue to be the hunters, and they will continue to be the losers who are hunted when they commit crimes.

There was a terrorist group called The Order back in the 1990's. They believed they could destroy the American system, and then we would all have to beg them to establish "order" (thus their name), and rebuild the system. Half of them were high school dropouts, with the other half having never gone to college. They did terrorism like blowing up electrical lines, and robbing armored cars.

Now my electrical grid knowledge is very limited. I took Electrical Engineering courses, but nothing specific to electrical grids. I do know keeping a grid running is more complex than a bunch of high school dropouts can do. And there we get to my point. The Alt Right terrorists can never take over the system, because they could never run the system.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's funny how the left thinks Trump was worse then the presidents who actually owned slaves.
    Tinker is now attacking Washington and Jefferson.

I will not defend Washington and Jefferson owning slaves, but I will say that it was the norm of the time and place where they lived. I grade people on a sliding curve of their time and place. Both Washington and Jefferson showed guilt of their slave holding, which made them better than many of their neighbors. It still is very troubling.

trump is noticeably worse than those in his time and place.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

We'd be at that stage of the movie where the monster has apparently been slain, when the hero stands amid the rubble and the ruin consoling those who have survived
    fiction

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Tinker is now attacking Washington and Jefferson.

I will not defend Washington and Jefferson owning slaves, but I will say that it was the norm of the time and place where they lived. I grade people on a sliding curve of their time and place. Both Washington and Jefferson showed guilt of their slave holding, which made them better than many of their neighbors. It still is very troubling.

trump is noticeably worse than those in his time and place.
    good for you, but the Woke culture makes no such subtle judgements

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/op...ricas-history/
    Astonishing proposals have come from a Washington, D.C., government committee appointed by Mayor Muriel Bowser to examine the names of schools, statues and parks after protests.

The committee hunted for historical figures with “key disqualifying histories, including participation in slavery, systemic racism, mistreatment of, or actions that suppressed equality for, persons of color, women and LGBTQ communities and violation of the DC Human Rights Act.”

Among the targets were the Founders of our Republic — George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin — identified among “persons of concern.”