Thread: Sen. Tom Cotton Bragged He Was an ‘Army Ranger.’ He Was Not

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,822 Times in 14,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Sen. Tom Cotton Bragged He Was an ‘Army Ranger.’ He Was Not

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), the infamous author of the New York Times op-ed calling for troops to break up Black Lives Matter protests, has lied about details of his military service, according to an investigation

But the Army’s own website makes clear the distinction between joining the 75th Ranger Regiment and taking the U.S. Army Ranger Course. “People often confuse the 75th Ranger Regiment with the U.S. Army Ranger Course,” the regiment’s public affairs office wrote. But to join the Ranger regiment, members of the Army have to pass the “Ranger Assessment Selection Program [RASP] 1, 2, or both.” Cotton did not.

former U.S. Army Ranger Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.) who tweeted a selfie in the iconic Ranger beret Saturday after the story broke: “Hey @SenTomCotton, unless you wore one of these berets you shouldn’t be calling yourself a Ranger. Truth matters.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/se...ot/ar-BB1d2kBN
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

no worries (01-24-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

In the Army it's common to refer to tabbed soldiers as Rangers even if they haven't served in the battalions.

Your article is misleading. Technically Ranger School is open to everyone but you do have to qualify and that isn't easy.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    In the Army it's common to refer to tabbed soldiers as Rangers even if they haven't served in the battalions.

Your article is misleading. Technically Ranger School is open to everyone but you do have to qualify and that isn't easy.
    Truth matters

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Truth matters
    Let's clarify a bit first...do you know anything at all about the subject matter?

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,312 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

An honorable man would have corrected the record, and explained his misstatement. Other politicians have made similar misstatements to Cotton's, and corrected themselves. Cotton has decided to have a member of his staff correct the record for him, because he is not an honorable man.

To be fair, I do not blame him for the mistake; I blame him for the cowardice is responding to the mistake. By the way, Republicans are far less kind to a Democrat who made the same mistake, and corrected it almost immediately.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

no worries (01-24-2021), Phantasmal (01-24-2021)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    An honorable man would have corrected the record, and explained his misstatement. Other politicians have made similar misstatements to Cotton's, and corrected themselves. Cotton has decided to have a member of his staff correct the record for him, because he is not an honorable man.

To be fair, I do not blame him for the mistake; I blame him for the cowardice is responding to the mistake. By the way, Republicans are far less kind to a Democrat who made the same mistake, and corrected it almost immediately.
    You don't know he didn't, we're going off of one article here which was obviously meant as a hit piece.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,617 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), the infamous author of the New York Times op-ed calling for troops to break up Black Lives Matter protests, has lied about details of his military service, according to an investigation

But the Army’s own website makes clear the distinction between joining the 75th Ranger Regiment and taking the U.S. Army Ranger Course. “People often confuse the 75th Ranger Regiment with the U.S. Army Ranger Course,” the regiment’s public affairs office wrote. But to join the Ranger regiment, members of the Army have to pass the “Ranger Assessment Selection Program [RASP] 1, 2, or both.” Cotton did not.

former U.S. Army Ranger Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.) who tweeted a selfie in the iconic Ranger beret Saturday after the story broke: “Hey @SenTomCotton, unless you wore one of these berets you shouldn’t be calling yourself a Ranger. Truth matters.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/se...ot/ar-BB1d2kBN
    What branch did Biden serve in? And where was he stationed during the Nam War
    Last edited by volsrock; 01-24-2021 at 12:52 AM.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You don't know he didn't, we're going off of one article here which was obviously meant as a hit piece.
    I have read other articles on this. Cotton had a spokesperson correct him, and then has gone on to make the mistake.

A few years ago, a Democratic Congressman made the same mistake, but corrected himself almost immediately, and still Republicans attacked him. Vindman did not make that mistake, but Republicans still accused him of making the mistake. Vindman corrected the record as soon as possible. Cotton refuses to stand up like a man.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have read other articles on this. Cotton had a spokesperson correct him, and then has gone on to make the mistake.

A few years ago, a Democratic Congressman made the same mistake, but corrected himself almost immediately, and still Republicans attacked him. Vindman did not make that mistake, but Republicans still accused him of making the mistake. Vindman corrected the record as soon as possible. Cotton refuses to stand up like a man.
    You're missing my point...it's not a mistake. If you want to get all offended by it fine but I don't see this as a case of stolen valor.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're missing my point...it's not a mistake.
    It is a mistake. He had Ranger training, but was not a Ranger. With the Vindman case, he did not even make the mistake, and still Republicans attacked him.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is a mistake. He had Ranger training, but was not a Ranger. With the Vindman case, he did not even make the mistake, and still Republicans attacked him.
    First of all Vindman can suck my dick. He was a REMF who tried to punch above his weight and he got what he deserved.

As for Cotton, he isn't guilty of stolen valor. As I told you, it is common to refer to tabbed soldiers as Rangers. Sorry you don't like that fact but oh well.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

First of all Vindman can suck my dick. He was a REMF who tried to punch above his weight and he got what he deserved.
    Vindman went through Ranger School, and has a Ranger Tab. He also has a Purple Heart, which he got when a road side bomb blew apart the Humvee he was riding in while serving in Iraq. He was hardly "rear echelon" there.

It is amazing how quickly you turn against someone with Ranger training, if they do not hold your political views. Somehow I doubt there is a political component to completing Ranger School.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

no worries (01-24-2021)

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Vindman went through Ranger School, and has a Ranger Tab. He also has a Purple Heart, which he got when a road side bomb blew apart the Humvee he was riding in while serving in Iraq. He was hardly "rear echelon" there.

It is amazing how quickly you turn against someone with Ranger training, if they do not hold your political views. Somehow I doubt there is a political component to completing Ranger School.
    I don't care if Vindman passed Ranger School. I served with a lot of men who were good at being soldiers but maybe, just maybe in my opinion, shouldn't be anywhere near public service. There's too much military worship in this country.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Isn't it amazing how quickly Republicans turn on veterans, and soldiers. After repeatedly posting how much supposedly Democrats hate soldiers, they then attack those same soldiers.

There's too much military worship in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    It's a job they choose to do. Nobody forced them so thanks isn't required.
    With that attitude, avoid any soldier's funerals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Are you saying that soldiers are more important citizens then everyone else?

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Isn't it amazing how quickly Republicans turn on veterans, and soldiers. After repeatedly posting how much supposedly Democrats hate soldiers, they then attack those same soldiers.
    I've been consistent over the years in saying the military worship is bad for the country. And I know better than you.