Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Capitol attack reflects US extremist evolution over decades

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    No, I can't deal with your half-mummified, stinking ass spitting mashed peas at me while you struggle to remember the topic of conversation so you can see if you were ever going to be able to make a point. Get fucked, dickhead.
    You simply can't deal.

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I definitely won't tolerate cat calls and other forms of sexism and misogyny. My interventions embarrass my friends and family to death. I won't stop. I'm going to continue to put my nose up against the nose of every asshole I see and tell them to crawl back under their rocks. But they're not going to exhibit it around me without a confrontation.

3. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    No, I can't deal with your half-mummified, stinking ass spitting mashed peas at me while you struggle to remember the topic of conversation so you can see if you were ever going to be able to make a point. Get fucked, dickhead.
    Ah, I see you've met Lesion. He is JPP's #1 snitch and #1 troll as well. His head looks awesome mounted on your Wall of Ignore. lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Diesel (01-24-2021)

5. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 3,615 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 367 Times in 352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Ah, I see you've met Lesion. He is JPP's #1 snitch and #1 troll as well. His head looks awesome mounted on your Wall of Ignore. lol
    I'm gathering that. What a worthless human being.

6. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    I'm gathering that. What a worthless human being.
    Ad hominems?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappacrite View Post
    Insults and vulgarity are the last refuge of the weak-minded.

7. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFowlWoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    If you are not afraid of him, why then all the bashing?

8. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,762 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Extremist is a useless word because it can apply to either side.
    The path to success is stopping the wrong side in its tracks and going as extreme as you can toward the smart, moral side.

That's what the witless trumpanzees thought that they were doing.
    Although they're useless slugs, at least they have the balls to go all out. Just no brains to go with them.
    They even tried a fucking coup d'etat.

Now's the time to be more extreme than they in the opposite direction.
    Moderation is for losers, and sadly, we're losing as a nation and a society.
    The so called "middle" is an insane pipe dream.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

9. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Diesel,

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    That doesn't negate what I said.
    Agreed. Racism and white supremacy should not be tolerated, and has no place in respectful civil discourse. So how do we maintain that when we have internet and social media that allow these extremist hateful views outsized exposure?

I'll tell you what I like. And I think the power of this has been undervalued.

I like what the NFL did. Recall when Trump inserted his bull into the china shop of the racial discussion when the players began to follow Kaepernick's lead of kneeling for the anthem? Trump's response was brash and strong-headed: just fire them. But the NFL knew they need these guys and it would be really bad PR to fire them. So they were open to talks, discussion. A compromise was reached. The players stopped kneeling and the NFL began allowing players and stadiums to display messages of togetherness and awareness. The end zones and the backs of helmets now have messages like "Black Lives Matter," and "It takes all of us." Trump's wrong-headed lack of leadership failed. Compromise and respect prevailed. Nice.

I would like to see more of that all over society. Why not? What would it hurt to have these messages out there, everywhere? Cause people to think about this stuff more. If hateful jerks are going to get more exposure on media, that has to be countered with something, something just as much or more prevalent. I think we should do that with a lot of public spaces. Doors, walls, seating areas, public transportation, art. We put the messages of love out there and they will be seen and felt. Even some who say they are meaningless could be reached subconsciously in this way.

The government works for us, not them. They hate the government. But we can use it to our advantage. We can have messages of unity in public spaces.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Diesel (01-24-2021)

11. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,762 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

"Unity messages" in public places constitute one possible approach.
    Whether such makes an adequate alternative plan to the purge of 71,000,000 trumpanzees has not been determined.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

12. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Invoking What about ism is an attempt to deflect from glaring double standards.
    OK, all I did here was respond to your comment:

"... there’s good reason to question whatever intelligence they are using since it was apparently a little faulty with the supposed attacks that were supposed to happen at state Capitols.

They went 0-50 on that."

When you changed the subject under discussion it seemed like whataboutism to me. So now you want to talk about what you consider to be double standards. The NG were called out against night time violence which sometimes followed peaceful daytime BLM protests, which seemed to many of us to be overkill, but since the attack on our capitol and plans for more on social media planned for inauguration day prompted ramped up NG presence at capitols all over the country, you think that is a double standard.

I don't think so. I think:

When the NG was called out against the summer protesters, that only made things worse.

When the NG was called out against the threat of inaugural day violence, that made things better.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Diesel,

Agreed. Racism and white supremacy should not be tolerated, and has no place in respectful civil discourse. So how do we maintain that when we have internet and social media that allow these extremist hateful views outsized exposure?

I'll tell you what I like. And I think the power of this has been undervalued.

I like what the NFL did. Recall when Trump inserted his bull into the china shop of the racial discussion when the players began to follow Kaepernick's lead of kneeling for the anthem? Trump's response was brash and strong-headed: just fire them. But the NFL knew they need these guys and it would be really bad PR to fire them. So they were open to talks, discussion. A compromise was reached. The players stopped kneeling and the NFL began allowing players and stadiums to display messages of togetherness and awareness. The end zones and the backs of helmets now have messages like "Black Lives Matter," and "It takes all of us." Trump's wrong-headed lack of leadership failed. Compromise and respect prevailed. Nice.

I would like to see more of that all over society. Why not? What would it hurt to have these messages out there, everywhere? Cause people to think about this stuff more. If hateful jerks are going to get more exposure on media, that has to be countered with something, something just as much or more prevalent. I think we should do that with a lot of public spaces. Doors, walls, seating areas, public transportation, art. We put the messages of love out there and they will be seen and felt. Even some who say they are meaningless could be reached subconsciously in this way.

The government works for us, not them. They hate the government. But we can use it to our advantage. We can have messages of unity in public spaces.
    That's all fine and good. I think positive messages should be spread far and wide across every platform. That still doesn't address that Trumpists don't operate in reality, but I appreciate your sincerity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-24-2021)

15. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Ad hominems?
    Yes, an ad hominem. You are a piece of shit. The world would be better if you weren't in it.

16. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth Omar,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    What’s illogical is making one OMG, THE END OF DEMOCRACY!!!!!! while pretending the other never happened.
    Failure to address the other during a discussion of the one is not 'pretending the other never happened.'

17. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, an ad hominem. You are a piece of shit. The world would be better if you weren't in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappacrite View Post
    Insults and vulgarity are the last refuge of the weak-minded.

18. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think positive messages should be spread far and wide across every platform.
    Naturally, you also "think" that you are the arbiter of what "positive" means; am I right?