View Poll Results: Should Capitol Rally participants face repercussions for their attendance on 6JAN21?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

2 12.50%
  • Yes, but only if they attacked the Capitol.

12 75.00%
  • Yes. All knew it was to start an insurrection

2 12.50%
  • I don't know.

0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should people face consequences for appearing at President Trump's January 6 rally...

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello CASPER,

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
    Depends on several circumstances.
    For those that went in the Capital, yes they should all be charged, that is a no brainer.
    Those outside are different, for those that actually were fighting with the cops and those that tried entering but were driven back, yes they should also be charged.
    Those that were outside that did not try entering the Capital and did not actively participate in the riot, no they should not be charged.
    Being charged legally and facing employer disciplinary action are two different things.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 01-23-2021 at 10:59 AM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

You work at the pleasure of your employer. I'm not surprised that some are losing jobs over simply showing up. If you have a liberal employer and they find out that a worker has bought into the whole 'stop the steal' nonsense, and believed it so strongly that they went to DC, then I could see some people losing jobs simply over that. Especially if they might have been on shaky ground prior to that. Or depending on the nature of the business and the clientele.

It could be a really bad image for a business to be associated with 'stop the steal.'
    The Christian Baker's in Colorado will be pleased to hear you supporting the idea.

Agreed that employers have a right to have a universal standard of conduct from their employees. It's usually written into the contract employees sign upon employment.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I leave it up to the cops to sort out who broke the law.

I leave it up to employers if they want to have a voluntary association with people who demonstrate anti-social behaviour - aka, crossing police barricades, posting threats on parler, etc.

I am record stating that people should not be harangued if they only attended Trump's speech and studiously avoided any participation in the breaching of the Capitol:
    https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...49#post4160249

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I can see circumstances where it would be understandable of somebody lost a job over simply going and streaming / posting on public social media.

What if the worker is a public representative of the business?

What if the business says that it's representatives agree as a condition of employment not to make public political statements?

And then they go a stream their attendance at a fact-denying 'stop the steal' rally?

Oh yeah.

Grounds for dismissal.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The Christian Baker's in Colorado will be pleased to hear you supporting the idea.

Agreed that employers have a right to have a universal standard of conduct from their employees. It's usually written into the contract employees sign upon employment.
    Different case.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Different case.
    Are you saying employers can fire people on whimsy but cannot deny customers for the same reason? What if a bunch of MAGA-hat wearing rioters entered your store to load up on Beer and Ammo. Do you have the right to throw them out or not?

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I can see circumstances where it would be understandable of somebody lost a job over simply going and streaming / posting on public social media.

What if the worker is a public representative of the business?

What if the business says that it's representatives agree as a condition of employment not to make public political statements?

And then they go a stream their attendance at a fact-denying 'stop the steal' rally?

Oh yeah.

Grounds for dismissal.
    One of our local nutjobs gave a shout out to her Real Estate firm on the steps of the Capitol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-23-2021)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

One of our local nutjobs gave a shout out to her Real Estate firm on the steps of the Capitol.

Reminds me of the woman who was upset that she got maced for trying to break into the capitol.

"They maced me!"

These people think that just because a lying president told them to do something, or they perceived that he did (even if he used ambiguous leading terms but didn't actually specify,) that meant it was OK to break the law, disobey police lines, etc.

Definitely a case of watching too much propaganda.

Mind infected.

Not thinking clearly.

False pretenses.

Justifying things that are wrong based on BS.

We can only hope they will come to their senses and change the errors of their ways.

It is sad how pervasive the con job is.

Trump is a sick sick mind, and his illness is contagious.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

CASPER (01-23-2021), Doc Dutch (01-23-2021), Frank Apisa (01-23-2021)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Reminds me of the woman who was upset that she got maced for trying to break into the capitol.

"They maced me!"

These people think that just because a lying president told them to do something, or they perceived that he did (even if he used ambiguous leading terms but didn't actually specify,) that meant it was OK to break the law, disobey police lines, etc.

Mind infected.

Not thinking clearly.

False pretenses.

We can only hope they will come to their senses and change the errors of their ways.

LOL. I saw her whining and thought "Just how stupid are these people?"

We can blame Trump, but I'm a big believer that people should be held accountable for their own actions. She knew breaking into the Capitol was wrong no matter who told her to attack it and burn it down.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

CASPER (01-23-2021), PoliTalker (01-23-2021)

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello CASPER,

Being charged legally and facing employer disciplinary action are tow different things.
    That is the employers discretion, their business and they can hire and fire whomever they like. If I were an employer I would not fire anyone unless they were one of those I described above that broke the law.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-23-2021)

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is the employers discretion, their business and they can hire and fire whomever they like. If I were an employer I would not fire anyone unless they were one of those I described above that broke the law.
    Agreed as written. However, most of these people were nuts and, no doubt, had 5-6 Trump flags, stickers and other shit on their cars in the parking lot plus talked a lot about it at work. Their Facebook pages would be loaded with all the delusional crap of the Trump administration: China, china, china, COVID is a hoax, Global Warming is a hoax, #StoptheSteal, yada, yada, yada.

Even if the employee didn't break a barrier, their posting their presence at the rally could have been a last straw spreading this bullshit among an employee group. They are a cancer in the group and cutting them out may be the only solution.

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

"They maced me!"

Mind infected.

Not thinking clearly.

False pretenses.

And in that post you actually described the root of the entire issue, None of what happened at the Capital would have happened and there would not be any Deaths or charges being filed if the President and several others on his payroll and in Congress had fostered a Lie that the election was anything but fair and square and that trump lost and Biden was the next President of the United States of America. I think that everyone one of them is culpable in everything that occurred because they know, well maybe not the Idiot PS that lead the Lie, that the elections was Not rigged and wide spread fraud had not occurred. Heck his own Lawyers admitted as much more than once in court and every news station, even newsmax, have retracted they claims about Dominion because they know it is a Lie and they are concerned now that Dominion is now filling lawsuits against several involved and that they risk the chance of losing Millions in the courts.I would also add that trump and his team committed numerous acts of interfering in an election which by the way is Illegal, and as such All those involved should be charged and justice severed, including trump, no one is above the law or the laws are worthless.
    My 2 cents....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-23-2021), PoliTalker (01-23-2021)

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed as written. However, most of these people were nuts and, no doubt, had 5-6 Trump flags, stickers and other shit on their cars in the parking lot plus talked a lot about it at work. Their Facebook pages would be loaded with all the delusional crap of the Trump administration: China, china, china, COVID is a hoax, Global Warming is a hoax, #StoptheSteal, yada, yada, yada.

Even if the employee didn't break a barrier, their posting their presence at the rally could have been a last straw spreading this bullshit among an employee group. They are a cancer in the group and cutting them out may be the only solution.
    Agree, but as I said that is the employers choice on how to proceed, as for the actual law breakers, arrest them, charge them, try them, then fine and lock em up, no excuses for Sedition.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-23-2021), PoliTalker (01-23-2021)

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agree, but as I said that is the employers choice on how to proceed, as for the actual law breakers, arrest them, charge them, try them, then fine and lock em up, no excuses for Sedition.
    Agreed.

If the lasting legacy of Trump is that Americans turn to Critical Thinking as a primary means to process information, then, even though he never intended it, Trump would have done our nation a very great favor.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

CASPER (01-23-2021), PoliTalker (01-23-2021)

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

If I ran a public business, and a worker showed up with a pick up truck that had Trump flags all over it, and parked it where customers could see it, as if it meant this business supported a political side, I would not want that worker working for me under those conditions. Having those flags out in front of my business would be guaranteed to run off half of the customers.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-23-2021)