Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 186

Thread: Biden wrong to evict Winston Churchill bust from Oval Office

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    34,864
    Thanks
    10,540
    Thanked 19,864 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Groans
    230
    Groaned 1,474 Times in 1,392 Posts

    Default Biden wrong to evict Winston Churchill bust from Oval Office

    n his inaugural address, President Biden pledged to "repair alliances." Yet one of his first moves in power was to remove a bust of the late British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill from the Oval Office, as President Barack Obama did in January 2009. This was a slap in the face for Great Britain on Day One of Biden's presidency, and sends the wrong signal to America’s closest friend and ally.

    The Churchill bust is a sensitive issue for U.S.-British relations. The bronze bust, created by sculptor Jacob Epstein, was originally a loaned gift to President George W. Bush from British Prime Minister Tony Blair in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

    The bust is a symbol of the British people standing shoulder to shoulder with their American brothers and sisters following the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history. Another bust of Churchill, which has been on the second floor of the White House since the 1960s, is outside the Treaty Room.


    When Obama decided to send the Oval Office Churchill bust back to the British Embassy within days of taking office, the move attracted a great deal of negative publicity in the United Kingdom. It was strongly condemned by then-mayor of London (and now Prime Minister) Boris Johnson.

    The Churchill bust was returned to the White House when Donald Trump became president in 2017, and was in the Oval Office until this week.


    Indeed, under President Obama, the partnership between the two allies was not as close as it was under President George W. Bush. At the time, many British conservatives viewed the Obama administration as being at best lukewarm towards Britain, and on occasion even hostile.

    In April 2016, ahead of the Brexit referendum, Obama warned the U.K. that it would be at "the back of the queue" for a trade deal with the U.S. if the British people dared to vote to leave the European Union. His remarks, made in London, were seen as both insulting and an unacceptable direct intervention by the U.S. president in British politics.

    There are real concerns in London that Biden may translate his antipathy towards Brexit and his well-known admiration for the European Union into a downgrading of the Anglo-American alliance in favor of appeasing Brussels and the continental European powers of Germany and France.
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/chur...-nile-gardiner

  2. The Following 2 Users Groan At dukkha For This Awful Post:

    Rune (01-23-2021), TTQ64 (01-23-2021)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    15,122
    Thanks
    1,020
    Thanked 4,590 Times in 3,707 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 181 Times in 171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The British people need to be punished for voting to leave is I believe how the thinking goes.
    This Regressive Left Revolution that now controls America is built on lies, it unravels one truth at a time. One truth is that these fucks R intellectual terrorists.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

    War=Peace (01-24-2021)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Prairieville
    Posts
    23,630
    Thanks
    2,520
    Thanked 9,797 Times in 6,530 Posts
    Groans
    331
    Groaned 2,948 Times in 2,670 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    n his inaugural address, President Biden pledged to "repair alliances." Yet one of his first moves in power was to remove a bust of the late British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill from the Oval Office, as President Barack Obama did in January 2009. This was a slap in the face for Great Britain on Day One of Biden's presidency, and sends the wrong signal to America’s closest friend and ally.

    The Churchill bust is a sensitive issue for U.S.-British relations. The bronze bust, created by sculptor Jacob Epstein, was originally a loaned gift to President George W. Bush from British Prime Minister Tony Blair in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

    The bust is a symbol of the British people standing shoulder to shoulder with their American brothers and sisters following the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history. Another bust of Churchill, which has been on the second floor of the White House since the 1960s, is outside the Treaty Room.


    When Obama decided to send the Oval Office Churchill bust back to the British Embassy within days of taking office, the move attracted a great deal of negative publicity in the United Kingdom. It was strongly condemned by then-mayor of London (and now Prime Minister) Boris Johnson.

    The Churchill bust was returned to the White House when Donald Trump became president in 2017, and was in the Oval Office until this week.


    Indeed, under President Obama, the partnership between the two allies was not as close as it was under President George W. Bush. At the time, many British conservatives viewed the Obama administration as being at best lukewarm towards Britain, and on occasion even hostile.

    In April 2016, ahead of the Brexit referendum, Obama warned the U.K. that it would be at "the back of the queue" for a trade deal with the U.S. if the British people dared to vote to leave the European Union. His remarks, made in London, were seen as both insulting and an unacceptable direct intervention by the U.S. president in British politics.

    There are real concerns in London that Biden may translate his antipathy towards Brexit and his well-known admiration for the European Union into a downgrading of the Anglo-American alliance in favor of appeasing Brussels and the continental European powers of Germany and France.
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/chur...-nile-gardiner
    ban it until the brits pay for burning down the White House

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

    martin (01-23-2021), Rune (01-23-2021)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    43,136
    Thanks
    12,530
    Thanked 28,642 Times in 18,743 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 1,220 Times in 1,153 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    The British people need to be punished for voting to leave is I believe how the thinking goes.
    It reflects a mindset.

    The Brits have a colonialist history that ‘enlightened’ progressives find offensive. It didn’t surprise me that Obama would kick Churchill out but it seems out of character for Biden to do it.

    Apparently, he’s spent so much time with them lately they’ve taken over his mind. Or, it was ‘suggested’ that Churchill be sent back by someone else. Harris would be an obvious culprit for that.

    In any event it’s petty and stupid.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    15,122
    Thanks
    1,020
    Thanked 4,590 Times in 3,707 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 181 Times in 171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    It reflects a mindset.

    The Brits have a colonialist history that ‘enlightened’ progressives find offensive. It didn’t surprise me that Obama would kick Churchill out but it seems out of character for Biden to do it.

    Apparently, he’s spent so much time with them lately they’ve taken over his mind. Or, it was ‘suggested’ that Churchill be sent back by someone else. Harris would be an obvious culprit for that.

    In any event it’s petty and stupid.
    Biden is now run by committee.
    This Regressive Left Revolution that now controls America is built on lies, it unravels one truth at a time. One truth is that these fucks R intellectual terrorists.

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    3,840
    Thanks
    696
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Groans
    157
    Groaned 277 Times in 268 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    n his inaugural address, President Biden pledged to "repair alliances." Yet one of his first moves in power was to remove a bust of the late British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill from the Oval Office, as President Barack Obama did in January 2009. This was a slap in the face for Great Britain on Day One of Biden's presidency, and sends the wrong signal to America’s closest friend and ally.

    The Churchill bust is a sensitive issue for U.S.-British relations. The bronze bust, created by sculptor Jacob Epstein, was originally a loaned gift to President George W. Bush from British Prime Minister Tony Blair in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

    The bust is a symbol of the British people standing shoulder to shoulder with their American brothers and sisters following the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history. Another bust of Churchill, which has been on the second floor of the White House since the 1960s, is outside the Treaty Room.


    When Obama decided to send the Oval Office Churchill bust back to the British Embassy within days of taking office, the move attracted a great deal of negative publicity in the United Kingdom. It was strongly condemned by then-mayor of London (and now Prime Minister) Boris Johnson.

    The Churchill bust was returned to the White House when Donald Trump became president in 2017, and was in the Oval Office until this week.


    Indeed, under President Obama, the partnership between the two allies was not as close as it was under President George W. Bush. At the time, many British conservatives viewed the Obama administration as being at best lukewarm towards Britain, and on occasion even hostile.

    In April 2016, ahead of the Brexit referendum, Obama warned the U.K. that it would be at "the back of the queue" for a trade deal with the U.S. if the British people dared to vote to leave the European Union. His remarks, made in London, were seen as both insulting and an unacceptable direct intervention by the U.S. president in British politics.

    There are real concerns in London that Biden may translate his antipathy towards Brexit and his well-known admiration for the European Union into a downgrading of the Anglo-American alliance in favor of appeasing Brussels and the continental European powers of Germany and France.
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/chur...-nile-gardiner
    Churchill was an imperialist and a racist. He was also a drunk and a womanizer and a leader of men when times were tough. No person is perfect, not even most democrats, and it is beyond weird for trump stooges to try to act like Trump was such a pro-Brit kind of guy because he could dig Churchill's racist imperialist words and actions, from a long time ago, but alienated and insulted Britain and Germany and France and Canada and our other allies while bending over and defending true assholes like Putin and Little Kim and Erdogan and the murdering Saudi Prince.

    this is what British sources say about him-

    Winston Churchill: the man, the myth, the murderer | rs21www.rs21.org.uk › 2020/05/08 › winston-churchill-the...
    May 8, 2020 — Churchill is central to the Tory myth of national unit. But the historical record is clear: he was a virulent racist, a diehard colonialist, and ...

    Was Winston Churchill racist? Why some people have ...www.the-sun.com › news › was-winston-churchill-racist
    Jun 8, 2020 — He served as Conservative Prime Minister twice - from 1940 to 1945, before being defeated in the 1945 general election by the Labour leader ...

    Britain's persistent racism cannot simply be explained by its ...www.theguardian.com › commentisfree › jun › britain-...
    Jun 24, 2020 — Empire does not explain all of Britain's history of elitism and exploitation, says historian David Edgerton.

    The 10 greatest controversies of Winston Churchill's career ...www.bbc.com › news › magazine-29701767
    Jan 26, 2015 — Views on race. In April last year, Labour candidate Benjamin Whittingham tweeted that Churchill was "a racist and white supremacist".

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier Daddy For This Post:

    blackascoal (01-23-2021), christiefan915 (01-23-2021), guno (01-23-2021), Nomad (01-23-2021), Rune (01-23-2021)

  11. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,394
    Thanks
    429
    Thanked 781 Times in 465 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 234 Times in 216 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    It reflects a mindset.

    The Brits have a colonialist history that ‘enlightened’ progressives find offensive. It didn’t surprise me that Obama would kick Churchill out but it seems out of character for Biden to do it.

    Apparently, he’s spent so much time with them lately they’ve taken over his mind. Or, it was ‘suggested’ that Churchill be sent back by someone else. Harris would be an obvious culprit for that.

    In any event it’s petty and stupid.
    What's petty and stupid is getting out of shape over how Biden decorates his office.

  12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Post:

    AProudLefty (01-23-2021), blackascoal (01-23-2021), christiefan915 (01-23-2021), Diesel (01-23-2021), domer76 (01-23-2021), guno (01-23-2021), Nomad (01-23-2021), Rune (01-23-2021), TexanManWithPlans (01-23-2021), TTQ64 (01-23-2021)

  13. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,454
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    15
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

    Default

    I'm pretty sure that Trump's four-year retard-fest offended the Brits more than does the removal of a bust. Recall how Trump was always mocking London. (I know Faux News has amnesia, though, so maybe Trumpers can't recall.)

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TexanManWithPlans For This Post:

    blackascoal (01-23-2021), guno (01-23-2021), Nomad (01-23-2021)

  15. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Cymru/ Wails
    Posts
    5,527
    Thanks
    3,064
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,547 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,649 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    n his inaugural address, President Biden pledged to "repair alliances." Yet one of his first moves in power was to remove a bust of the late British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill from the Oval Office, as President Barack Obama did in January 2009. This was a slap in the face for Great Britain on Day One of Biden's presidency, and sends the wrong signal to America’s closest friend and ally.

    The Churchill bust is a sensitive issue for U.S.-British relations. The bronze bust, created by sculptor Jacob Epstein, was originally a loaned gift to President George W. Bush from British Prime Minister Tony Blair in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

    The bust is a symbol of the British people standing shoulder to shoulder with their American brothers and sisters following the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history. Another bust of Churchill, which has been on the second floor of the White House since the 1960s, is outside the Treaty Room.


    When Obama decided to send the Oval Office Churchill bust back to the British Embassy within days of taking office, the move attracted a great deal of negative publicity in the United Kingdom. It was strongly condemned by then-mayor of London (and now Prime Minister) Boris Johnson.

    The Churchill bust was returned to the White House when Donald Trump became president in 2017, and was in the Oval Office until this week.


    Indeed, under President Obama, the partnership between the two allies was not as close as it was under President George W. Bush. At the time, many British conservatives viewed the Obama administration as being at best lukewarm towards Britain, and on occasion even hostile.

    In April 2016, ahead of the Brexit referendum, Obama warned the U.K. that it would be at "the back of the queue" for a trade deal with the U.S. if the British people dared to vote to leave the European Union. His remarks, made in London, were seen as both insulting and an unacceptable direct intervention by the U.S. president in British politics.

    There are real concerns in London that Biden may translate his antipathy towards Brexit and his well-known admiration for the European Union into a downgrading of the Anglo-American alliance in favor of appeasing Brussels and the continental European powers of Germany and France.
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/chur...-nile-gardiner
    Chuck the bloody thing in the sea, like sensible people! He was an evil old bugger.
    Last edited by Iolo/Penderyn; 01-23-2021 at 06:32 AM.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

    Frank Apisa (01-23-2021), guno (01-23-2021), Rune (01-23-2021)

  17. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    43,136
    Thanks
    12,530
    Thanked 28,642 Times in 18,743 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 1,220 Times in 1,153 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    What's petty and stupid is getting out of shape over how Biden decorates his office.
    Did I say I cared lol?

    Seemed to have missed that part. My comment had to do with the mindset that would make Biden *care* enough about it to remove it.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

  18. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Cymru/ Wails
    Posts
    5,527
    Thanks
    3,064
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,547 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,649 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Did I say I cared lol?

    Seemed to have missed that part. My comment had to do with the mindset that would make Biden *care* enough about it to remove it.
    I suppose Trump had one of Hitler. I expect President Biden had that removed too. One of my strongest early memories is how they had the face to show Churchill giving an election broadcast in one of our Rhondda cinemas. The place erupted, people standing up and screaming with fury, throwing things at the screen, whatever, till they took off the evil old bugger. Most exciting for a small child!

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

    guno (01-23-2021), Rune (01-23-2021)

  20. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    56,473
    Thanks
    75,140
    Thanked 35,033 Times in 22,569 Posts
    Groans
    2,406
    Groaned 4,182 Times in 3,869 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Absolutely petty, the President may have whatever art he wants in the White House.

  21. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

    Primavera (01-23-2021)

  22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    blackascoal (01-23-2021), christiefan915 (01-23-2021), Cypress (01-23-2021), Frank Apisa (01-23-2021), guno (01-23-2021), Nomad (01-23-2021), Rune (01-23-2021), signalmankenneth (01-23-2021)

  23. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    9,780
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 803 Times in 710 Posts
    Groans
    69
    Groaned 157 Times in 153 Posts

    Default

    Churchill killed millions of Hindus in the Bengali famine of 1943 & called Hindus beastly.

    Churchill was at Tehran, Yalta & Potsdam conferences where he gave Stalin Poland & other regions ,when Poland objected he called Poles callous lunatics.

    Churchill fire bombed Dresden killing at least 25,000 civilians.

    Churchill put millions of Mau Mau of Kenya in internment camps.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan Sobieski For This Post:

    Rune (01-23-2021)

  25. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    9,780
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 803 Times in 710 Posts
    Groans
    69
    Groaned 157 Times in 153 Posts

    Default

    Churchill only played a minor role in defeating Hitler, anyways.

    Most of the credit goes to Stalin.

    Care to field that one!?

    Using a Stalin bust for the same reason as a Churchill bust!?
    Being they both fought Hitler.

  26. The Following User Groans At Jan Sobieski For This Awful Post:

    Primavera (01-23-2021)

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan Sobieski For This Post:

    Rune (01-23-2021)

  28. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    92,385
    Thanks
    45,484
    Thanked 28,599 Times in 21,840 Posts
    Groans
    37,370
    Groaned 4,163 Times in 3,969 Posts
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanDmowski View Post
    Churchill only played a minor role in defeating Hitler, anyways.

    Most of the credit goes to Stalin.

    Care to field that one!?

    Using a Stalin bust for the same reason as a Churchill bust!?
    Being they both fought Hitler.
    Stupid twat, who do you think supplied the war materiel to the Russians? They would have been totally fucked without the Atlantic convoys.
    .

    An estimated 61-80,000 Americans died and 800,000 were hospitalised in the 2017-18 flu season, including the most virulent Type A version of H3N2, so why didn't you arseholes call for the total destruction of the world's economic system then? I hope you have plenty of time to ponder over that when you all lose your houses, jobs and relationships!

Similar Threads

  1. Biden's socialist/comunist hero bust placed in the Oval Office!
    By Wolverine in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-22-2021, 04:11 PM
  2. Trump says he is America's Winston Churchill
    By martin in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2020, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-19-2018, 03:56 PM
  4. Do we get the Churchill bust back?
    By Life is Golden in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2017, 11:06 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 08:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •