Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and Son of the Revolution

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 51st state - Washington DC

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,421 Times in 52,445 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Most residents of Maryland and the District of Columbia do not support retrocession. ... That effort led to the 2016 Washington, D.C. statehood referendum and culminated in Bill H.R. 1, which included a nonbinding expression of support for statehood, passed 234 to 193 in March 2019.

Wikipedia › wiki › District_of_Colu...

District of Columbia retrocession - Wikipedia

Let Biden, Schumer and Pelosi jam this plan to create two new Democratic Senators down the throats of all Americans in the name of Unity just like they want to pack the Supreme Court. I'd love to see the dance they do 'splaining how that is for "Unity".
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If DC pays all the costs of their own state, where will the money come from?
    What are you talking about? This is incoherent babble. Use your words.

Would it be sustainable or would it quickly beat out Mississippi as the poorest state?
    You know, you can just Google "DC GDP" and find out for yourself.

So why won't you do that? Because sophistry is your style, laziness your dominant trait, and contempt for others your overriding theme.

But because I'm such a nice guy, I'll do that work for your lazy ass:

DC GDP in 2019: $492B

MS GDP in 2019: $116B

So is $116B > or < $492B? Be honest, I can tell when you're lying.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Given its proximity to Power, I predict that, if you get your wish, DC Senators will become Republican Senators in 3-4 elections as more rich Republicans and corporations gentrify the city and take control.
    Maybe you don't realize the stupid shit you're saying, but the reason Virginia is now a reliably Blue state is because rich Democrats moved to the DC suburbs, and that movement turned the whole state blue. That dates back to 2008, by the way.

So in what world would Republicans move to Washington DC to flip it red when they've already lost Virginia (Blue, 2 Democratic Senators), Georgia (Blue, 2 Democratic Senators), and Arizona (Blue, 2 Democratic Senators) because of rich Democrats moving to those states and turning them blue?

Do you read the shit you write before you post it?

BTW - most Republicans aren't rich and don't have the mobility to just up and move to Washington DC en masse.

Republicans and corporations gentrify the city and take control.
    Have you ever BEEN to Washington DC before in your life? Have you been there recently? I have. It's been gentrified for years. in fact, it was so overgentrified that people moved to the suburbs, and what's why Virginia is a Blue state today with 2 Democratic Senators and a Democratic governor + State Legislature.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Okay...stick with it. I concede your position will prevail...NOT BECAUSE IT IS RIGHT OR FAIRER...but because it has the advantage afforded it by the unfairness of the system as itnow stands.

No problemo.

My guess is the Republicans are collectively too stupid to use it to real advantage.
    Collectively, yes, but those with money and power have teams to advise them. The goal should be to give them less advantages, not more.

Who do you think is really pushing this? Why? We know what the brochure says, but has anyone done the math? Planned out how it would work, how it would operate? How things would change? Not that I have seen.

IMO, this is just a red meat rallying cry for the faithful like "Lock her up" and "MAGA". The actual results will be far different.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Have you ever BEEN to Washington DC before in your life? Have you been there recently? I have. It's been gentrified for years. in fact, it was so overgentrified that people moved to the suburbs, and what's why Virginia is a Blue state today with 2 Democratic Senators and a Democratic governor + State Legislature.
    Several times. Lived about an hour south of there for a year back in the day then have been to 10-12 annual weeklong meetings starting in the early 2000s.

How many times have you lived or visited there?

Yes there are some rich parts. What I'm saying is that all the poor parts will become gentrified with Republican and Corporate lobbyists to take advantage of the power play you are advocating.

Who do you think, over a period of 18 to 24 years would benefit the most from Washington DC statehood in the demographics listed below?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-dc-population
    Washington Demographics
    According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Washington was:

Black or African American: 46.31%
    White: 41.27%
    Other race: 4.98%
    Asian: 3.98%
    Two or more races: 3.10%
    Native American: 0.30%
    Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.05%

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,242 Times in 7,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Collectively, yes, but those with money and power have teams to advise them. The goal should be to give them less advantages, not more.

Who do you think is really pushing this? Why? We know what the brochure says, but has anyone done the math? Planned out how it would work, how it would operate? How things would change? Not that I have seen.

IMO, this is just a red meat rallying cry for the faithful like "Lock her up" and "MAGA". The actual results will be far different.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

As I said earlier...I agree with you an many things.

My opinion is that on this issue...you are dead wrong.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Several times. Lived about an hour south of there for a year back in the day then have been to 10-12 annual weeklong meetings starting in the early 2000s.
    OK, but it's 2020...

How many times have you lived or visited there?
    I was just there this past December, for the final two weeks of 2020. I was there in 2017 for the Women's March, and was there again in 2018 for the Parkland/Gun Violence marches, and then again at the March for Children in Cages in the summer of 2018.

Yes there are some rich parts. What I'm saying is that all the poor parts will become gentrified with Republican and Corporate lobbyists to take advantage of the power play you are advocating.
    How do you figure that? Republicans don't move to cities. They move to Florida. Gentrifiers are usually white liberals, not Conservatives...at least, that's the case in every major city in the US.

Who do you think, over a period of 18 to 24 years would benefit the most from Washington DC statehood in the demographics listed below?
    Democrats. That 46% of Black residents is higher than Georgia, which we won three times in the last 3 months.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Maybe you don't realize the stupid shit you're saying, but the reason Virginia is now a reliably Blue state is because rich Democrats moved to the DC suburbs, and that movement turned the whole state blue. That dates back to 2008, by the way.

So in what world would Republicans move to Washington DC to flip it red when they've already lost Virginia (Blue, 2 Democratic Senators), Georgia (Blue, 2 Democratic Senators), and Arizona (Blue, 2 Democratic Senators) because of rich Democrats moving to those states and turning them blue?

Do you read the shit you write before you post it?

BTW - most Republicans aren't rich and don't have the mobility to just up and move to Washington DC en masse.

Check your math. https://results.elections.virginia.g...sidential.html

Additionally, consider that it's a lot easier to control a small territory with money than a large one. Basically, Washington DC, as a state, would be up for sale to the highest bidder.

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

OK, but it's 2020...

I was just there this past December, for the final two weeks of 2020. I was there in 2017 for the Women's March, and was there again in 2018 for the Parkland/Gun Violence marches, and then again at the March for Children in Cages in the summer of 2018.

How do you figure that? Republicans don't move to cities. They move to Florida. Gentrifiers are usually white liberals, not Conservatives...at least, that's the case in every major city in the US.

Democrats. That 46% of Black residents is higher than Georgia, which we won three times in the last 3 months.
    You have no idea how fascinated am that you think it's still 2020.

How awesome for you. Did you enjoy the sights? See all the museums and monuments or did you just seek to tear them all down?

Rich corporate Republicans love cities. I don't.

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What do you think this link proves or adds to your argument?

You're here showing that Virginia is a D+10 state.

It wasn't even a D state until 2008.

Additionally, consider that it's a lot easier to control a small territory with money than a large one. Basically, Washington DC, as a state, would be up for sale to the highest bidder.
    Take me through your thought here because it makes no sense to me.

Are you saying Rhode Island has been sold to the highest bidder? How about Wyoming? How about Vermont? All three of those states have fewer people than DC. And to whom were those states "sold"?

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You have no idea how fascinated am that you think it's still 2020
    Fine 2021...that's still 20 years removed from the last time you were in DC.

I was there four weeks ago.

How awesome for you. Did you enjoy the sights? See all the museums and monuments or did you just seek to tear them all down?
    No, I went there for the marches and a couple hearings. Jealous?

Rich corporate Republicans love cities.
    Ah yes, which is why cities overwhelmingly vote Democratic and why Republicans are constantly trying to get people to move away from them by lying about things like crime and taxes.

12. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It does not require a constitutional amendment.

All the constitution requires is a federal district not to exceed 10 square miles, but no minimum size is specified either. Legally it could be one Square mile

Statehood would modify and shrink the federal district to just the white house, Capitol building, mall, and associated buildings. The rest of DC would become the state of Columbia.

Perfectly legal.

There is no overriding reason Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, Adams Morgan, Anacostia, etc. have to be part of a federal district.
    The Supreme Court could still rule against it. All they need is the case to come before them.

13. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Fine 2021...that's still 20 years removed from the last time you were in DC.

I was there four weeks ago.

No, I went there for the marches and a couple hearings. Jealous?

Ah yes, which is why cities overwhelmingly vote Democratic and why Republicans are constantly trying to get people to move away from them by lying about things like crime and taxes.
    Still wrong dear. I began going annually to DC in the early 2000s for about a decade.

14. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arks&sparka View Post
    The Supreme Court could still rule against it. All they need is the case to come before them.
    Agreed and that's a good point since the entire concept of DC was that it not be a state.

If Congress wants the area to be a state, then Congress should return the land to the states the land originated. It's only fair.

15. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Still wrong dear. I began going annually to DC in the early 2000s for about a decade.
    Well, DC in 2020 looked a lot like NYC in 2006.