Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and Son of the Revolution

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 51st state - Washington DC

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Why? DC isn't Maryland. It's its own thing. So what are you talking about?

Also, per the Constitution, changing existing borders on states requires 2/3 support in Congress and the House, plus a majority of the vote of MD and DC.

It ain't happening that way.

Statehood only requires a majority vote in the Senate and House if you're not changing the borders of existing states, and the DC Statehood bill has already passed the House.

I bet that the Democrats include DC and PR statehood in a new Voting Rights Act.
    If the Democrats want to renege on the original deal then the honest thing to do is return the land to the states the ceded it. (Mostly Maryland)

https://washington.org/DC-informatio...ton-dc-history
    President George Washington chose the exact site along the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers, and the city was officially founded in 1790 after both Maryland and Virginia ceded land to this new “district,” to be distinct and distinguished from the rest of the states.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I'm against making it a 51st State. It's a fucked idea. If they want Senators and Reps, let them use Maryland's.

The Democrats want to turn it into TWO more Democrat Senators. What they don't realize is that, once a state, the dynamics change. The State would become Republican through gentrification and lobbyists. All the poorer residents will be forced out. Still, it's a stupid idea to make such a small area a state.

I'd rather divide California into Democrat and Republican halves.
    Well that is going to be the issue as both DC and Puerto Rico lean Democratic (DC Heavily) so there would certainly be opposition from Congressional Republicans. However it only takes a Congressional simple majority to approve State Hood and given our history it is likely that both would achieve State Hood in all due time.

Besides the residents of DC do have a strong and valid Constitutional point. They are taxed without due representation in congress. Besides, political partisanship should not be an issue in determining Statehood....though obviously it is.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

If the Democrats want to renege on the original deal then the honest thing to do is return the land to the states the ceded it.
    That would require 2/3 of the vote in both chambers of Congress, plus majority vote in DC, MD, and VA, PLUS majority vote in the state legislatures of VA and MD.

So why would VA or MD agree to that? Because you want them to? Eat shit.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    it makes total sense

The State of Nevada has about 50% of it's territory administered by the federal government.

The District of Columbia could cede the Mall, Capitol Hill, the White House, and associated infrastructure to the federal government to operate as a federal district. There is no pressing reason that DC communities like Georgetown, Adams Morgan, and Anacostia need to be in a federal district.

It ultimately becomes a matter of fairness.

The Australian federal capital district of Canberra, and Brazil's federal district of Brasilia both receive full representation in their parliament and Congress, respectively

I believe the United States might be the only western democracy on the planet which does not give representation to citizens living in the nation's capital district.
    Disagreed.

That point aside, I fail to see how Biden considers jamming two more Democratic Party Senators into Congress is "Unity". Furthermore, I predict that within 3-4 Senate elections, they'll become Republicans.

US Constitution Article IV, Section 3

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

"The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State."

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're someone who comes on anonymous boards, lies about himself, and then pretends like he doesn't care.

I think you have mental issues.

That would require 2/3 support of Congress, PLUS majority support in DC, VA, and MD.
    I bet that would be easy.

So it ain't happening.

you create a one party government in this great nation, you will destroy it. careful what you wish for.

More people live in DC than Wyoming. So maybe we swap? Wyoming can be the district with no representation, and DC can be the state.

That sounds fair to me.[/QUOTE]

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why? Why make a city a state? Think of all the structures of government they'd have to tax and build? What is their industry? They'd quickly become the poorest state in the Union followed by becoming the richest state as Republicans and Corporate Lobbyists take over.

In 20 years, Washington DC would become the Whitest State in the Union. Whiter than North Dakota and a helluvva lot richer.
    Most residents of Maryland and the District of Columbia do not support retrocession. ... That effort led to the 2016 Washington, D.C. statehood referendum and culminated in Bill H.R. 1, which included a nonbinding expression of support for statehood, passed 234 to 193 in March 2019.

Wikipedia › wiki › District_of_Colu...

District of Columbia retrocession - Wikipedia

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bull&Terrier View Post
    I think you have mental issues.
    So yesterday, you were pretending to be an IT computer expert.

Today, you pretended to be someone with an "advance degree" (WTF?) in Psychology.

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bull&Terrier View Post
    I bet that would be easy.
    It's funny you think that, knowing nothing about the politics of either state.

you create a one party government in this great nation, you will destroy it. careful what you wish for.
    Yeah, we saw the effects of that the last 4 years, where a Republican-controlled government promptly plunged us into a recession and pandemic before trying to launch an insurrection to invalidate the 2020 election they lost in a landslide.

If Republicans want to compromise, great. If they don't, fuck 'em.

Biden extended the olive branch on Wednesday and McConnell promptly smacked that branch away Thursday morning.

Keeping a bunch of fascists around for the sake of a two-party system is more destructive to Democracy than one-party rule will ever be.

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Most residents of Maryland and the District of Columbia do not support retrocession. ... That effort led to the 2016 Washington, D.C. statehood referendum and culminated in Bill H.R. 1, which included a nonbinding expression of support for statehood, passed 234 to 193 in March 2019.

Wikipedia › wiki › District_of_Colu...

District of Columbia retrocession - Wikipedia

Wait a second...YOU'RE SAYING THAT THEY ALREADY CONSIDERED DUTCH UNCLE'S DUMB IDEA AND REJECTED IT?

Does Dutch Uncle know about that?

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

On California or DC?

The only reason the Democrats want to make DC a state is to add two more Democratic Senators to the Senate. Sure, it'll work out that way initially, but because of that power involved, that would incentivize those with money to start moving into DC until it's a concentrated state of Big Money Republicans with huge mansions and no ghettoes.

Democrats are famous for building roads to Hell with good intentions. Consider the social dynamics involved in what you suggest.
    Okay...stick with it. I concede your position will prevail...NOT BECAUSE IT IS RIGHT OR FAIRER...but because it has the advantage afforded it by the unfairness of the system as itnow stands.

No problemo.

My guess is the Republicans are collectively too stupid to use it to real advantage.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Agreed. Make them citizens of Maryland. Easy-Peasy.
    Maryland was not the only state to give up land to the District.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Like I said. Either way .... we win. We come along for the ride and profit as much as anyone else if your way works, ...or....if the whole thing totally crashes and burns with D's in complete and total control then we are rid of you because you will literally not be able to push the blame off on anyone but yourself and your chosen leaders.
    And like I said...you are on the wrong side...and unable to see it.

You backed a loser...an inciter to insurrection.

Your kind is a greater threat to our Republic than any foreign enemies.

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Well that is going to be the issue as both DC and Puerto Rico lean Democratic (DC Heavily) so there would certainly be opposition from Congressional Republicans. However it only takes a Congressional simple majority to approve State Hood and given our history it is likely that both would achieve State Hood in all due time.

Besides the residents of DC do have a strong and valid Constitutional point. They are taxed without due representation in congress. Besides, political partisanship should not be an issue in determining Statehood....though obviously it is.
    Unity. LOL

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That would require 2/3 of the vote in both chambers of Congress, plus majority vote in DC, MD, and VA, PLUS majority vote in the state legislatures of VA and MD.

So why would VA or MD agree to that? Because you want them to? Eat shit.
    If DC pays all the costs of their own state, where will the money come from? Would it be sustainable or would it quickly beat out Mississippi as the poorest state?

Given its proximity to Power, I predict that, if you get your wish, DC Senators will become Republican Senators in 3-4 elections as more rich Republicans and corporations gentrify the city and take control.

Be careful what you wish for.

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Maryland was not the only state to give up land to the District.
    Correct. A little would go back to Virginia.