Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and Son of the Revolution

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 51st state - Washington DC

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! ONE PARTY RULE FOREVER! Yaaaaaaahoooo!
    That way the great Republic can be reduced to one party rule forever!!! YAYYYYYY!! Were going to be just like China and North Korea!!! Fantastic! One good thing I guess. We wont have to fight the civil war everyone dreads. Your leaders will have you all lined up and falling into a mass grave ditch in no time just like they did in every other country where this was tried. The shocked look on the useful idiots must have been quite the sight!..." Wait, NOT ME,...I helped bring this about!!....TOUGH SHIT .....BANG,...and it all goes black!"
    Here is a suggestion: why don't Republicans work on appealing to black and Hispanic Americans?

There is no rule written anywhere that says blacks and Hispanics have to be Democrats.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-22-2021), Jerome (01-22-2021), Phantasmal (01-22-2021)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Here is a suggestion: why don't Republicans work on appealing to black and Hispanic Americans?

There is no rule written anywhere that says blacks and Hispanics have to be Democrats.
    Trump increased both those numbers

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Trump increased both those numbers
    Right, it is just plain wrong to oppose self determination for people because you are afraid they will not vote for you.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Diesel (01-22-2021), Jerome (01-22-2021), Phantasmal (01-22-2021)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,578 Times in 9,986 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 873 Times in 830 Posts

My suggestion is the John Galt plan. Sit back and allow this all to happen with one party in complete and total control with no way to blame the other party. It ends with people needing some REALLY GOOD running shoes. Or... it ends up with things turning out well and I benefit from it. " that wont happen" .... Either way I win. I come along for the ride and benefit just as much as you do........OR... we are rid ourselves of you fucks forever. Either way....

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

It amazes me how unimportant you are. They always say EVERYONE is someone,.... not so in your case.
    Let me turn this around on you. If I had said 4 years ago, "trump is not my president, that is going to totally ruin trump", you would rightly point out that both trump would not care, and trump is my president whether I want him or not. Whining like a child gets you nowhere.

I am going to give you some great advice, because I know you will not take it: Figure out what went wrong, and fix it. Republicans have lost this election on almost every level, and if this continues, it will get worse. trump's base is literally dying. Figure out how you can change your strategy to be a winner.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-22-2021), PoliTalker (01-22-2021)

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

I dont know why we are even talking about it at all. Talking about something brings legitimacy to it. THAT is not needed here. I mean,...its not like we dont ALL KNOW what changing the designation in DC is REALLY all about,...right? I just hate this kind of dishonesty. Now,... if we want to talk about giving the D's permanent control over the senate which is what this is REALLY all about then we can talk,....I just dont get why everyone has to play along with the ruse and PRETEND its about something other than what it is when we all know better. There has been more than enuff Seedy dishonesty in here .....
    The pretense, Stone, is the laughable defense of American conservatives who want to win the presidency by retaining the Electoral College...rather than by allowing the vote for that office to be made the same way damn near EVERY vote is settled in this world.

Trump won the presidency in 2016 although he got 3,000,000 fewer votes than Hillary Clinton. It was a legitimate win. He won according to the rules in place...he was the legitimate president of the United States for four years.

It was possible he could have won the 2020 election while getting almost 7,000,000 fewer votes than Joe Biden.

Luckily for humanity...that did not happen.

That kind of situation ought not to be able to exist.

But since it does exist...why are you suggesting there is something wrong with people who see its inherent unfairness...and who are attempting to ease that unfairness a tiny bit?

What the hell is wrong with you that you are doing that?
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-22-2021), Phantasmal (01-22-2021), PoliTalker (01-22-2021)

11. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,448 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    DC was not “taken” from Maryland. That would have been blatantly Unconstitutional. The State with the agreement of the people agreed to permit that territory to be split into the District which is Constitutional.

Now returning to the State of Maryland is a perfectly legal option but it has to be supported by a majority of the population of the District and The State of Maryland and the Districts population has made it very clear that a majority of the population prefers independent Statehood.

So returning to the State of Maryland would appear to be off the board.
    I'm against making it a 51st State. It's a fucked idea. If they want Senators and Reps, let them use Maryland's.

The Democrats want to turn it into TWO more Democrat Senators. What they don't realize is that, once a state, the dynamics change. The State would become Republican through gentrification and lobbyists. All the poorer residents will be forced out. Still, it's a stupid idea to make such a small area a state.

I'd rather divide California into Democrat and Republican halves.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

12. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

RESIST!!!!! FUCK BIDEN...NOT MY PRESIDENT. BTW,....I hope you dont have a 401k...
    Joe Biden IS your president...just as Trump, that stupid, classless motherfucker, was mine for the last four years.

TO ALL NON-AMERICANS ON THIS BOARD:

The greatest threat the world faces right now is American conservatism. I know, I know...global warming is a true danger, BUT...it pales in comparison to American conservatism. And American conservatism has a built in advantage...both in the way we choose our president...and in the deliberative body we call...The Senate.

Don't let your guard down.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

13. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    If you are talking about population, it would not be the smallest state with two senators. Wyoming and Vermont are both smaller.

If you are talking about land size, why are you talking about land size? Are you suggesting that representation should be allocated by land size?
    Wyoming and Vermont will grow. Washington is high density now. Why not just give it back to Maryland?

14. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My suggestion is the John Galt plan. Sit back and allow this all to happen with one party in complete and total control with no way to blame the other party. It ends with people needing some REALLY GOOD running shoes. Or... it ends up with things turning out well and I benefit from it. " that wont happen" .... Either way I win. I come along for the ride and benefit just as much as you do........OR... we are rid ourselves of you fucks forever. Either way....
    You are on the wrong side, Stone.

Too bad you and your kind cannot see it.

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I'm against making it a 51st State. It's a fucked idea. If they want Senators and Reps, let them use Maryland's.

The Democrats want to turn it into TWO more Democrat Senators. What they don't realize is that, once a state, the dynamics change. The State would become Republican through gentrification and lobbyists. All the poorer residents will be forced out. Still, it's a stupid idea to make such a small area a state.

I agree with you on lots of things, Unk. But on this item...you are dead wrong.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-22-2021)

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post

Land should not have the power of the vote. People should have the power of the vote.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (01-22-2021), Frank Apisa (01-22-2021), Jerome (01-22-2021), PoliTalker (01-22-2021)

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I would not recommend basing your life on the mediocre novel Atlas Shrugged

The Australian federal capital district of Canberra, and Brazil's federal district of Brasilia both receive full representation in their parliament and Congress, respectively

I believe the United States might be the only western democracy on the planet which does not give representation to citizens living in the nation's capital district.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-22-2021), Frank Apisa (01-22-2021), Phantasmal (01-22-2021), PoliTalker (01-22-2021)

21. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I agree with you on lots of things, Unk. But on this item...you are dead wrong.
    On California or DC?

The only reason the Democrats want to make DC a state is to add two more Democratic Senators to the Senate. Sure, it'll work out that way initially, but because of that power involved, that would incentivize those with money to start moving into DC until it's a concentrated state of Big Money Republicans with huge mansions and no ghettoes.

Democrats are famous for building roads to Hell with good intentions. Consider the social dynamics involved in what you suggest.

22. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Land should not have the power of the vote. People should have the power of the vote.
    Agreed. Make them citizens of Maryland. Easy-Peasy.