Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and Son of the Revolution

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 51st state - Washington DC

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    I can guarantee you that by 2022, no one is going to give a shit about your procedural nonsense if the Democrats end up passing $2K checks, COVID relief, and safely reopen the economy.

Conservatives would have to run against all that. Good luck arguing against $2K checks that ended up in people's wallets.

Didn't work out too well for the GOP in Georgia, now did it?
    True af.

Even all of these enraged Trumplicans who want to overthrow the government will suddenly be distracted by their jobs, their vacations, and their hunting seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Actually I have a nice penis

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Are you even REMOTELY fucking aware of what the Republicans did to the deficit over the past 4 years before the pandemic, you hypocritical asshole? A $1.5 trillion handout to rich people.
    He's aware, he's just being a contrarian troll because he needs the attention and accommodation to make him feel better for being called out as a lazy asshole.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

I mean, Trump spent $30B trying to buy the votes of farmer trash...

Historical context? Put your money where your mouth is. You keep ambiguously alluding to these things, but you stop short on explaining them. Why is that?
    Because nonsensical, pithy bullshit -- followed by a retreat -- is all he's capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Actually I have a nice penis

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Post:

LV426 (01-22-2021)

5. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Even all of these enraged Trumplicans who want to overthrow the government will suddenly be distracted by their jobs, their vacations, and their hunting seasons.
    If Bernie gets his wish and Medicare is expanded to everyone who doesn't have insurance for the duration of the pandemic, it's never going to be reversed.

We'll have M4A sooner rather than later.

6. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,
    If it eventually turned big money Republican doesn't that underscore all that is corrupt with that party?

If you're concerned about a Democratic dominance, keep in mind that the Democratic party is a pretty slipshod collective of various factions. It could very well be that if the Republican party is not strong enough to stand up the Democratic party for a while that the progressives might split off from the Democratic party. We could go to a three or four party system, depending on whether Trump manages to really form a 'Patriot Party' (even though there actually already is one.)
    LV426 advocates corrupting voters with money. Buying voters has always been all the rage in Washington DC just as this power play for two extra Senators is continuing business as usual in the Swamp. While there's an appeal to fill the Swamp with two more Senators then seeing what happens, it's just one bad decision following another from the Capital of the United States of America.

I'm not concerned about any particular party's dominance since all such groups are impermanent. Dominance leads to excess which leads to failure so another takes over and is dominant. Rinse, Repeat. The Story of Mankind. I find it very funny and so can others if they choose to do so.

When I was about 7 years old I made a parachute out of a bed sheet, tied four corners and leapt off my dependent's family housing duplex roof with complete faith it would work. Sure, I chose to do it from the corner of the roof over the yard rather than the driveway, but I had such faith in my parachute, I leapt as high as I could off the roof to make sure there was enough air under it to make it float like my toy soldier parachutes. About two seconds later I felt the pain of utter failure.

My knees jammed hard into my chest from the impact and that hurt, but what hurt more was the realization that it didn't work despite all my belief it would do so. Of course, if my dad or grandpa had been around to advise me, you know they would have said, "Kid, that ain't gonna work."

What I did learn, besides a very important lesson about gravity, was to be careful about having complete faith in a plan. Do your homework first. Ask for advice. The choice remains yours, but definitely get the opinions of solid, factual, reasonable people before putting your health or life on the line.

Dovetailing the two, the DC Senator Stacking Plan ain't gonna work. Probably not in the short term and, I have complete faith it won't work in the long term. I'd bet money on it.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 3,615 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 367 Times in 352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    No taxation without representation

'I am very grateful we have a new president' | DC mayor plans for statehood under Biden administration

Asked if she believes the new administration will quickly progress D.C. to become the 51st state, an effort Washington DC mayor Muriel Bowser has long championed, she seemed hopeful.

"We have Democratic control of the House of Representatives, the Senate and now the White House, and the leadership in all of those bodies have expressed support for D.C. Statehood," she said, adding that Joe Biden is a "longtime" supporter of the District becoming a state.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wus...7-cf00c4095573
    That's a great idea. Let's trade DC for Hawai`i since Americans have no legal right to the Hawaiian islands anyway.

8. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    LV426 advocates corrupting voters with money
    COVID relief is corruption? Huh?

9. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Buying voters has always been all the rage in Washington DC just as this power play for two extra Senators is continuing business as usual in the Swamp. While there's an appeal to fill the Swamp with two more Senators then seeing what happens, it's just one bad decision following another from the Capital of the United States of America..
    Should be noted that Dutch Uncle here didn't vote for Biden or Clinton.

10. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not concerned about any particular party's dominance since all such groups are impermanent. Dominance leads to excess which leads to failure so another takes over and is dominant. Rinse, Repeat. The Story of Mankind. I find it very funny and so can others if they choose to do so.
    This is passed off as sage wisdom but is really empty contrarianism from someone who, by his own admission, is disconnected from the political process.

When I was about 7 years old I made a parachute out of a bed sheet, tied four corners and leapt off my dependent's family housing duplex roof with complete faith it would work. Sure, I chose to do it from the corner of the roof over the yard rather than the driveway, but I had such faith in my parachute, I leapt as high as I could off the roof to make sure there was enough air under it to make it float like my toy soldier parachutes. About two seconds later I felt the pain of utter failure.
    Sounds like you had pretty shitty parents. Maybe that explains why you're a shitty adult.

What I did learn, besides a very important lesson about gravity, was to be careful about having complete faith in a plan. Do your homework first. Ask for advice. The choice remains yours, but definitely get the opinions of solid, factual, reasonable people before putting your health or life on the line.
    Comparing adult legislators to yourself as a 5-year old is more of that undemocratic bullshit BoThSiDeRiStS spout off for purely superficial and egotistical reasons.

Of course our legislators are not 5-year old children, and of course most of them don't believe in stupid fairy tales and bullshit.

But you sure seem to.

Dovetailing the two, the DC Senator Stacking Plan ain't gonna work. Probably not in the short term and, I have complete faith it won't work in the long term. I'd bet money on it.
    By all means, please explain how Washington DC will be Red by 2028.

11. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What this really boils down to for Dutch Uncle is that seeing Black people vote and win elections makes his whiteness feel less special, so he doesn't support DC statehood because of what it means for his personal ego.

12. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because of your ego.
    that doesn't make sense because of my ego what?

Sure it does! You get tired of being dragged, so you just pretend to be someone else.
    how am I "being dragged?" What does that even mean?

Is it? Because you're not the only one who switches between IDs and likes your own posts (IBDaMann/GFM does the same thing)
    how do you know those aren't my alternate IDs?

Ah...yes...the anonymity. It's a shield you hide behind when you make wild claims about yourself because you know there's no way to verify whether or not these claims are true. And you refuse to verify any of the things you say about yourself, demanding I accommodate you so that you will be honest with me.
    if I hide behind the shield of anonymity why would I need different IDs? This isn't making much sense.
    This response makes me think that the credibility question is your motivation.
    so if I have a number of anonymous non-credible identities that gives me more credibility? Explain how?
    You defend yourself here by calling me an anonymous nobody, but I'm not the one spinning tall tales about my personal given circumstances and how they relate to the topic being discussed.
    so what makes you credible?
    It's not a conspiracy theory if it's true...and this one certainly is true. You are a compulsive liar.
    every conspiracy theorist thinks their conspiracy theory is true.

What have I lied about? Why would I need to lie you don't have a clue who I am?

Nah, I've been around the block on enough message boards to know a fraud when I see one.
    Is there ever anyone that doesn't argue against you that's a fraud or is it just people you disagree with?

13. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hard not to call you a racist when you support statehood and Congressional enfranchisement for 500k majority white people, but not for 700k majority black citizens.
    You're going to label me whatever you please as long as it suits your fancy. Nothing I can do about that.

OTOH, disagreeing with DC statehood goes far beyond anything as petty as race. It's a repeat of the rich saying they want to help the poor and then end up helping themselves a lot more than the poor ever see.

14. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What this really boils down to for Dutch Uncle is that seeing Black people vote and win elections makes his whiteness feel less special, so he doesn't support DC statehood because of what it means for his personal ego.
    Race Card! Bada-Bing! LOL

A lie, but Democrats lie just like Republicans which is why I distrust partisans from either party.

15. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah... I think it is likely that any folks that live in what used to be D.C. would now have to pay a state tax causing rent, etc. to rise. Unless there are special laws to make this special state exist as some sort of tax free zone only the rich would live there. It would be like making a state solely for rich people to reside in...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

16. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is passed off as sage wisdom but is really empty contrarianism from someone who, by his own admission, is disconnected from the political process....
    Why do you equate a person not supporting a Democrat over a Republican or vice-versa as being "disconnected from the political process"?

Add to this, please define your version of "the political process". TIA