Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and Son of the Revolution

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 51st state - Washington DC

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If Congress wants the area to be a state, then Congress should return the land to the states the land originated. It's only fair.
    Why would Congress do that when that would require a much higher bar than just admitting DC as a state?

Fairness? It's not fair to the people who live in DC. Don't they deserve self-determination of their own?

I think what this really boils down to with you is that you oppose DC statehood because it likely means Black Senators and Representatives, and they make you feel not so great about being an overprivileged white guy.
    Last edited by LV426; 01-22-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agreed and that's a good point since the entire concept of DC was that it not be a state.

If Congress wants the area to be a state, then Congress should return the land to the states the land originated. It's only fair.
    I would say I don't know why they don't just cut off the parts that people live in and make that part of Virginia.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Arks&sparka View Post
    I would say I don't know why they don't just cut off the parts that people live in and make that part of Virginia.
    So, this was actually proposed years ago and rejected by Maryland and Virginia.

To redraw the borders of a state, you need 2/3 of Congress, 2/3 of the states, and majorities (could be 2/3 depending on state constitutions) in those state legislatures, PLUS the Governor of those states as well.

Whereas, to add DC as a state takes just 51 votes in the Senate.

So why the fuck would Democrats, Virginia, or Maryland, ever go along with such a stupid plan THAT THEY HAVE ALREADY REJECTED?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Cypress (01-22-2021)

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Why would Congress do that when that would require a much higher bar than just admitting DC as a state?

Fairness? It's not fair to the people who live in DC. Don't they deserve self-determination of their own?

I think what this really boils down to with you is that you oppose DC statehood because it likely means Black Senators and Representatives, and they make you feel not so great about being an overprivileged white guy.
    Congress would do that because of these people want representation they can get it by being part of Virginia. If it's unfair to live in DC you can move nobody's forced to live there. it would make the most sense to me since living in DC is extremely expensive.

If it's about representation why wouldn't they be represented if they voted in Virginia's state elections?

Why can't la be a different state than California?

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So, this was actually proposed years ago and rejected by Maryland and Virginia.
    then people can move out of DC why would they live there in the first place?
    To redraw the borders of a state, you need 2/3 of Congress, 2/3 of the states, and majorities (could be 2/3 depending on state constitutions) in those state legislatures, PLUS the Governor of those states as well.

Whereas, to add DC as a state takes just 51 votes in the Senate.

So why the fuck would Democrats, Virginia, or Maryland, ever go along with such a stupid plan THAT THEY HAVE ALREADY REJECTED?
    Why would anybody live in DC?

7. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,425 Times in 52,449 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, DC in 2020 looked a lot like NYC in 2006.
    With less than 700K compared to NYC's population equal to the state of Virginia. Sorry I'm unable to explain the dynamics and differences here.

UNITY

Thanks for both playing Race Card and calling me a racist. You must have missed my prediction that in 3-4 elections those Senators would all be Republicans.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Congress would do that because of these people want representation they can get it by being part of Virginia.
    No, they can just get 51 votes in the Senate.

Your way has already been rejected by VA and MD, and why would any Democrat go along with it?

If it's unfair to live in DC you can move nobody's forced to live there.
    Right, but we don't need your input to make DC a state. We can just do it with 51 votes in the Senate.

If it's about representation why wouldn't they be represented if they voted in Virginia's state elections?
    To fold DC into Virginia would require DC to vote to approve that plan, would require the voters in VA to approve that plan, would require the VA State Legislature to vote that plan, and would require 2/3 of Congress and the Senate to approve that plan, PLUS you need the Governors to sign off on all of it...and Biden.

Now why the fuck would they do that, when they can just get DC as a state with 51 votes in the Senate?

9. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,425 Times in 52,449 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

...or, mainly, Maryland. That's what would most likely happen if they push this.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Arks&sparka (01-22-2021)

11. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

then people can move out of DC why would they live there in the first place??
    No, you can just come up with a different idea because this idea of yours has already been rejected.

Why do you live in the shitty hovel you live in?

12. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

With less than 700K compared to NYC's population equal to the state of Virginia. Sorry I'm unable to explain the dynamics and differences here.
    I was referring to the gentrification that happened on Manhattan, in Brooklyn, and Queens. After all, you were talking about gentrification. Now you're jumping to a different subject (population size) because your past gentrification argument was 100% bullshit, wasn't it?

Thanks for both playing Race Card and calling me a racist. You must have missed my prediction that in 3-4 elections those Senators would all be Republicans.
    Thanks for making it so easy to do that by showing us all who you really are.

13. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You must have missed my prediction that in 3-4 elections those Senators would all be Republicans.
    Anyone can make bad predictions...Conservatives did it all year last year with Trump.

What I'm interested to know is why you think that by 2028, Washington DC will be Republican?? What makes you think that?

14. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

UNITY
    Yeah, unity...uniting behind democratic principles and ideals. That's what "unity" means. It doesn't mean forgiving and forgetting.

15. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    No taxation without representation

'I am very grateful we have a new president' | DC mayor plans for statehood under Biden administration

Asked if she believes the new administration will quickly progress D.C. to become the 51st state, an effort Washington DC mayor Muriel Bowser has long championed, she seemed hopeful.

"We have Democratic control of the House of Representatives, the Senate and now the White House, and the leadership in all of those bodies have expressed support for D.C. Statehood," she said, adding that Joe Biden is a "longtime" supporter of the District becoming a state.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wus...7-cf00c4095573
    Well, it's gonna be a challenge to come up with a flag but what the heck. Bring it on! I like the idea.

And Puerto Rico, too!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (01-22-2021)

17. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

then people can move out of DC why would they live there in the first place?

Looks like you forgot to switch to your Bull&Terrier ID. Was that intentional? Did you just get fed up with me calling you out like that? Sure seems like it.

18. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Well, it's gonna be a challenge to come up with a flag but what the heck. Bring it on! I like the idea. And Puerto Rico, too!
    Yes, PR should also be admitted when DC is.

In fact, I think we should just go ahead and make every US territory a state.

Guam? Come on in.

Virgin Islands? Welcome!

American Samoa and Northern Mariana Islands? Hello there!

Pacific Outlying Islands? Get yer asses in here!