Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttigieg floats gas tax hike

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default Buttigieg floats gas tax hike

Well, I think all options need to be on the table," Buttigieg said. "As you know, the gas tax has not been increased since 1993, and it's never been pegged to inflation. And it's one of the reasons why the current state of the Highway Trust Fund is that there's more going out than coming in."

Buttigieg noted that funding transfers have helped make up the difference, but questioned whether Congress would keep doing that. He said that for now, the U.S. needs "a solution that can provide some predictability and sustainability."

While he did not rule out doing this through a gas tax increase, Buttigieg did question how viable this approach might be in the future if the country moves toward electric cars.

"In the long term, we need to bear in mind also that as vehicles become more efficient and as we pursue electrification, sooner or later there will be questions about whether the gas tax can be effective at all," he said.
    "In the short to medium term," however, Buttigieg said that a solution "could mean revisiting the gas tax, adjusting it, and/or connecting it to inflation."
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/but...retary-hearing

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

well that didnt take long! The camel sticks his nose under the tent

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Darth Omar (01-22-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Indeed. I wonder how the left will blame Trump for high gas prices?
    oh man you are good!! I didnt see that one coming.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,105 Times in 12,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,443 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries

Washington state is making plans to nearly double the gas tax to almost $1/gal.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...tion-proposal/

Long term the plan is to have transponders in every vehicle and charge on demand by the mile...you will never know what the tax will be day to day.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

6. #5 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,609 Times in 17,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

As it stands now, "The state with the highest tax rate on gasoline is Pennsylvania at $0.586 / gallon followed closely by California at $0.533 / gallon."

https://igentax.com/gas-tax-state/

In South Carolina gas, is under $2 a gallon (according to the GF's niece who lives just across the border in NC). Here in PA. it's 2.69 a gallon.
    Biden & Co. will undoubtedly drive our prices well above $3 a gallon, possibly over $4 a gallon like it was under Obama.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Darth Omar (01-22-2021)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    As it stands now, "The state with the highest tax rate on gasoline is Pennsylvania at $0.586 / gallon followed closely by California at $0.533 / gallon."

https://igentax.com/gas-tax-state/

In South Carolina gas, is under $2 a gallon (according to the GF's niece who lives just across the border in NC). Here in PA. it's 2.69 a gallon.
    Biden & Co. will undoubtedly drive our prices well above $3 a gallon, possibly over $4 a gallon like it was under Obama.
    So when Washington is making plans to have a $1 tax four years from now that is something.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I have not heard this but knowing Washington there is a near 100% chance that a lot of this money will go to eliminating fares on mass transit and these vans that handicapped and "at risk" call to take them where they want to go.

Which is bad policy.

Nobody cares.

DARK AGES SUCK!

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    So when Washington is making plans to have a $1 tax four years from now that is something.
    Biden & Co. will start their "environmental" shit long before 4 years from now. Energy costs will skyrocket. That will have a major increase on everything else when transportation costs will be added to all other consumable prices. When I worked for the Food Service Co, they added transportation costs to the places we delivered to, those places raised their prices. Count on rising prices for everything under Biden...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 766 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 155 Times in 147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Indeed. I wonder how the left will blame Trump for high gas prices?
    Really? Moron.

Teabaggers, ignore the fact that federal fuel taxes are separate from state taxes.

Federal taxes are 18.4 cents a gallon for gasoline.

Federal taxes are 24.4 cents a gallon for diesel fuel.

They haven't been raised since 1993.

Eric Trump wrote this comment with the picture on Twitter and Facebook: “If Biden gets in, not only will he destroy the Oil & Gas industry (and millions of American jobs and lives), we can all say goodbye to these unbelievably good gas prices. Don’t forget the nearly $5 per gallon we were paying under O’Biden.”

The average retail price of gasoline while Barack Obama was president was $2.97. The average price under President Donald Trump has been $2.49, which includes lower prices due to the pandemic.

Teabaggers will believe any thing.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Biden & Co. will start their "environmental" shit long before 4 years from now. Energy costs will skyrocket. That will have a major increase on everything else when transportation costs will be added to all other consumable prices. When I worked for the Food Service Co, they added transportation costs to the places we delivered to, those places raised their prices. Count on rising prices for everything under Biden...
    Another "the sky is falling" teabagger "prediction", worse than their dear leader's "predictions".

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Eliminating fares on mass transit and the Victim Van Services is about "equity", and is a high priority for the Revolution.....the victims need their free shit.

What did you do for Food Service Co?

DARK AGES SUCK!

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by no worries View Post
    Really? Moron.

Teabaggers, ignore the fact that federal fuel taxes are separate from state taxes.

Federal taxes are 18.4 cents a gallon for gasoline.

Federal taxes are 24.4 cents a gallon for diesel fuel.

They haven't been raised since 1993.

Eric Trump wrote this comment with the picture on Twitter and Facebook: “If Biden gets in, not only will he destroy the Oil & Gas industry (and millions of American jobs and lives), we can all say goodbye to these unbelievably good gas prices. Don’t forget the nearly $5 per gallon we were paying under O’Biden.”

The average retail price of gasoline while Barack Obama was president was $2.97. The average price under President Donald Trump has been $2.49, which includes lower prices due to the pandemic.

Teabaggers will believe any thing.
    So, in other words, gas prices were on average .48 cents cheaper under Trump than Obama.
    The "pandemic" had zero point shit to do with gas prices. If it did, the price per gallon would
    have dropped even lower since less people were buying gas because of the lockdowns. Why are they rising now instead of falling?

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Eliminating fares on mass transit and the Victim Van Services is about "equity", and is a high priority for the Revolution.....the victims need their free shit.

What did you do for Food Service Co?
    I haven't seen where mass transit fares will be decreased.

Delivery driver.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I haven't seen where mass transit fares will be decreased.

Delivery driver.
    Decreased to zero.....when they finally get around to telling you remember please that I gave you the heads up.

Interesting.

DARK AGES SUCK!

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So, in other words, gas prices were on average .48 cents cheaper under Trump than Obama.
    The "pandemic" had zero point shit to do with gas prices. If it did, the price per gallon would
    have dropped even lower since less people were buying gas because of the lockdowns. Why are they rising now instead of falling?
    Holy crap, you can't read but you can do simple math, why weren't you on Dotard's "decipherin'" committee?

"The "pandemic" had zero point shit to do with gas prices. If it did, the price per gallon would
    have dropped even lower since less people were buying gas because of the lockdowns. Why are they rising now instead of falling"?

Still can't think logically.

Supply and demand, moron.