1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 7,142 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Geeko Sportivo,

An excellent assessment.

I was particularly moved by the strong emphasis on unity and rebuilding mutual respect.

Of course that message spoke to me. I have been an advocate of that all along.

I just wish more people would get it.

There's so much to talk about in the world of politics. It's a shame that people get hung up on the mundane and hardly ever get beyond that level.

It's too bad we don't have better political discussions here. Mostly this place is just a bunch of insult contests.

I don't get it. All that name calling and personal stuff is totally boring to me. We don't know each other here, all we know is the way people post. Most of the posters here just seem to want to have nasty name-calling arguments and that's the main reason they come here. OK, so they are getting their emotions stroked, but what about their minds? I would think that people who are so hung up on telling each other how things are would want to focus a little bit more on learning more than castigating others.

I mean really, if dealing with somebody who is just plain stupid, the logical thing is not to call them names. What good does that do? Is that supposed to suddenly make them smart? Seriously? That's how they think stupid people should be treated? Insult them for not knowing as much as they do? Makes no sense. It's not what a wise mind would do.

Really, it's just frustrated people looking for a place to unload their emotions.

And they are probably emotions from something else. They just come in here looking for some kind of emotional boost to get them out of their funk, but it doesn't work. It might feel really good in the moment, but it does not address whatever issue was bothering them in the first place.

Once this process becomes a habit people become desensitized to it. They don't realize just how abrasive it is. They don't really know why they continue doing it but they keep coming back. What's happening is they are getting just a little endorphin rush when they 'tell somebody off.' It doesn't last, so it has to be repeated.

They end up like a test monkey junky pushing the button for another fix.

It sad to see but there's nothing that can be done to help them until they decide to help themselves. In most cases, they should just quit posting. But if they have strong fortitude and are able to change their habits they could try envisioning what they want to be and create a new habit to replace the old one. Then, every time they feel the urge to unload on somebody, force themselves to do the new habit instead. After a few weeks of this the new habit becomes second nature and they no longer have to force themselves to do it. It becomes the new habit. A good habit.

Bad habits can be replaced with good ones. It's all up to the individual and how much they want to change.
    Thanks for sharing your frustrations of a Political war playing itself out.

But all the kindness and due respect cannot just come from one side. Not here in this anything goes forum, or in Congress!

But, Congress is not totally broken like this forum is. Congress still does have rules, and now that Donald Trump is in the past, most Congressmen will play by the rules.

They are attempting to make sure the rules are all laid out or hashed out today. Biden has told the Democrats to allow the Republicans to help them establish the rules. DO WE WANT TO USE THE FILIBUSTER, or not- and etc.

Whatever rules are decided, are the ones we will have to use for the next 2 - 4 years.

But, this forum is a peanut gallery and there are many disgruntled trolls among us that will just try to keep things chaotic.

And people on an anything goes forum will use colorful language. I EXPECT IT.

Let them talk- PEOPLE KNOW WHAT'S RIGHT AND WRONG. They may not admit it, but they know.

But, never expect anything to ever be accomplished here, as we do expect things to get resolved in Congress.

There are no winners and losers here of arguments. THIS FORUM DOES NOT HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A SUPREME COURT NOR DO WE HAVE A FORUM CONSTITUTION TO FOLLOW, HOWEVER WE ALL HAVE READ THE RULES AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT WILL GET US BANNED.

Good luck!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-21-2021), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2021)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,375 Times in 53,261 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I'm not a huge Biden fan by any means, but even I felt as though an anvil pendant was removed from my neck.
    If mediocre Joe represents a massive improvement,
    and he certainly does,
    let that remind us of just how low we had gotten.
    Ra-men, Brother Nifty, ra-men.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Geeko Sportivo,

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Thanks for sharing your frustrations of a Political war playing itself out.

But all the kindness and due respect cannot just come from one side. Not here in this anything goes forum, or in Congress!

But, Congress is not totally broken like this forum is. Congress still does have rules, and now that Donald Trump is in the past, most Congressmen will play by the rules.

They are attempting to make sure the rules are all laid out or hashed out today. Biden has told the Democrats to allow the Republicans to help them establish the rules. DO WE WANT TO USE THE FILIBUSTER, or not- and etc.

Whatever rules are decided, are the ones we will have to use for the next 2 - 4 years.

But, this forum is a peanut gallery and there are many disgruntled trolls among us that will just try to keep things chaotic.

And people on an anything goes forum will use colorful language. I EXPECT IT.

Let them talk- PEOPLE KNOW WHAT'S RIGHT AND WRONG. They may not admit it, but they know.

But, never expect anything to ever be accomplished here, as we do expect things to get resolved in Congress.

There are no winners and losers here of arguments. THIS FORUM DOES NOT HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A SUPREME COURT NOR DO WE HAVE A FORUM CONSTITUTION TO FOLLOW, HOWEVER WE ALL HAVE READ THE RULES AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT WILL GET US BANNED.

Good luck!
    There are kind and respectful people on both sides. No, of course I don't expect the majority of the forum to change. That would be unrealistic. But I don't mind suggesting people think about what they are really doing here. There are gems here for those willing to do a little mining. I just would like to see more gems and less tailings. Thanks for your comments.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,233 Times in 6,869 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

I've seen a lot of good renditions of the national anthem - but Gaga was off the charts. It felt like that's how it was meant to be sung.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 7,142 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Geeko Sportivo,

There are kind and respectful people on both sides. No, of course I don't expect the majority of the forum to change. That would be unrealistic. But I don't mind suggesting people think about what they are really doing here. There are gems here for those willing to do a little mining. I just would like to see more gems and less tailings. Thanks for your comments.
    Here's the deal! America is having a food fight.

Trump came down that escalator and threw a huge pie in the face of Reality, Truth, Common Sense, SANITY, FAIRNESS, THE RULE OF LAW, Progress, EQUALITY, DEMOCRACY, AND THE COMMON GOOD!

IT MAY HAVE TAKEN 4 YEARS, BUT HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED- WE THROUGH THAT NASTY PIE RIGHT BACK IN HIS FACE!

THE PEOPLE VOTED! AND WE REJECTED DONALD TRUMP and all of his lies, racism, conspiracy theories, his ant-democracy, and just pure EVIL way- AND WE REJECTED ALL OF DONALD TRUMP'S SUPPORTERS WHO FOSTERED HIM, LIED FOR HIM, EXCUSED HIM, AND EGGED HIM ON EVEN FURTHER.

BUT IT UNITED ALL OF THE REST OF US- AS WE HARDENED, WE UNITED, WE GOT TOUGHER, AND WE realized we HAD TO FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE!

Their offense- BECAME OUR DEFENSE!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 01-22-2021 at 09:28 AM.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Geeko Sportivo,

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Here's the deal! America is having a food fight.

Trump came down that escalator and threw a huge pie in the face of Reality, Truth, Common Sense, SANITY, FAIRNESS, THE RULE OF LAW, Progress, EQUALITY, DEMOCRACY, AND THE COMMON GOOD!

IT MAY HAVE TAKEN 4 YEARS, BUT HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED- WE THROUGH THAT NASTY PIE RIGHT BACK IN HIS FACE!

THE PEOPLE VOTED! AND WE REJECTED DONALD TRUMP and all of his lies, racism, conspiracy theories, his ant-democracy, and just pure EVIL way- AND WE REJECTED ALL OF DONALD TRUMP'S SUPPORTERS WHO FOSTERED HIM, LIED FOR HIM, EXCUSED HIM, AND EGGED HIM ON EVEN FURTHER.

BUT IT UNITED ALL OF THE REST OF US- AS WE HARDENED, WE UNITED, WE GOT TOUGHER, AND WE realized we HAD TO FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE!

Their offense- BECAME OUR DEFENSE!
    Well, there's where we differ.

I'm happy with the approach of having never compromised on high ideals. I applaud people who are able to say what they mean without vitriol. Our ultimate goal is to be one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. This lofty goal was laid down for us centuries ago. I'm glad to share the ideals of unity through mutual respect. That doesn't mean we always agree. We should count on disagreement. Our nation was founded on that principle, and on having functional institutions designed to boil our disagreements down into policy.

If some people want to turn that into a nasty personal mudbath, they are certainly free to do that. I choose the route of civil discourse unpoisoned by the distractions of off-topic personal attack.

The idea of a public inauguration seemed like a foolish thing to me. Initially I wasn't really sure of the point of it. Logic told me it should simply be done in a safe secure undisclosed location, and broadcast so that all could see. With COVID and insurrectionists, that seemed like the safe route to me.

But when I saw what they did, and I saw all those public figures coming out in broad daylight, all in one place, (a tempting target,) it dawned on me. There is merit to that very public display. It was a statement that they were not afraid, that this was too important for them to stay in more secure locations. For them to do that at the very scene where just two weeks prior there had been lawlessness and death, was the perfect come-back to that insurrection.

Even though I could not be present I totally enjoyed the day. I had no idea the festivities and presentation would go on so long, and be so inclusive of so many aspects of the beauty of America. It was fantastic. Very uplifting!

And the evening 'Celebrating America' show was nothing short of awe inspiring:

"Traditional inaugural balls, which often gather hundreds of dignitaries to see the president and extend late into the evening, were not held due to pandemic-related restrictions. A primetime television special, Celebrating America, aired as a substitute in simulcast across most major television networks and other cable and streaming outlets. Hosted by Tom Hanks, the evening event opened with a performance of "Land of Hope and Dreams" by Bruce Springsteen on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.[201] Hanks then addressed viewers, emphasizing the "promise of our promised land", and introduced four guests, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dolores Huerta, Brayden Harrington, and Kim Ng who, respectively, recited lines from the inaugural addresses of presidents Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan, reflecting on their speeches' emphasis of national unity, confidence, patriotism, and peace.[202]

Anthony Gaskin, a Virginia UPS deliveryman, introduced Jon Bon Jovi, who performed an acoustic rendition of "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles.[202] Biden was then introduced by Hanks to the U.S. Navy Band Brass Ensemble's playing of four ruffles and flourishes and "Hail to the Chief"; he spoke inside the Lincoln Memorial and emphasized the importance of "opportunity, liberty, dignity, and respect". Yo-Yo Ma performed a cello solo sampling "Amazing Grace", "Goin' Home" from Dvořák's 9th symphony, and "Simple Gifts". Ant Clemons and Justin Timberlake then performed their song "Better Days" in Memphis, Tennessee.[203] Mackenzie Adams, a Washington elementary school teacher, then introduced Foo Fighters; frontman Dave Grohl opened the performance by acknowledging the "creative ways" educators have dealt with teaching modality challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic,[202] and then the band performed "Times Like These".[204] A cavalcade of Broadway stars performed "Seasons of Love" and "Let the Sun Shine In".

Chef and philanthropist José Andrés discussed the food insecurity crisis in America, and introduced Morgan Marsh-McGlone, a Wisconsin elementary school student who raised over US$52,000 for the hungry by creating an online lemonade stand.[202] Lin-Manuel Miranda then recited Irish poet Seamus Heaney's "The Cure at Troy",[205] one often quoted by Biden, such as in his address at the 2020 Democratic National Convention. American members of the Expedition 64 mission on the International Space Station then greeted viewers from orbit. Sarah Fuller, the first woman to play in a football game for a Power Five conference team, introduced Vice President Harris to four ruffles and flourishes and "Hail, Columbia"; she characterized the American people as "bold, fearless, and ambitious", exemplifying the Apollo 11 moon landing and civil rights and women's suffragette movements. John Legend then performed his rendition of "Feeling Good".[204]

Sandra Lindsay, a nurse who is the first U.S. citizen to receive the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine,[206] introduced Tyler Hubbard and Tim McGraw, who performed their collaborative song "Undivided" on a Nashville rooftop.[207] Former presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama, appearing in the Arlington Memorial Amphitheater, remarked on the importance of uniting America and witnessing the peaceful transfer of power;[202] they also offered words of support for Biden and Harris. Demi Lovato then celebrated frontline healthcare workers in her performance of Bill Withers's song "Lovely Day".[204] In closing the special, Katy Perry performed her song "Firework" during a fireworks show over the Washington Monument, with views of Biden, Harris, and their spouses watching from the White House and Lincoln Memorial.[201] "

Celebrating America

Wow. What a day!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (01-22-2021)