Thread: It Was A Beautiful Inauguration For President Biden and VP Harris

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default It Was A Beautiful Inauguration For President Biden and VP Harris

It gave me lots of hope for a better America.

In case you missed it there is HOURS of programming, and also links to lots of short clips and performances on the inaugural website:

Biden - Harris Inauguration

Here's some quick video links on YouTube, both short and full length:

Inauguration Videos
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (01-22-2021), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

22yo Amanda Gorman NAILED the inaugural poem:

She could be president in a few decades...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

agreed

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Amanda Gorman made me proud to be an American.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

katzgar (01-21-2021), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

One of the links on the Inauguration Videos page is nearly 7 hours long.

I watched almost all of it.

It was very uplifting.

Anybody who wants to feel better about where America is headed would do themselves a favor to watch it all. Very touching.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The whole inauguration was all about Unity.

That was the underlying message throughout it all.

Different people from all walks of life coming together to share a common goal, a common future.

We are all just trying to fulfill the wise words: "To form a more perfect Union..."

Our wise forefathers knew we could never be perfect but that we must always strive for it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Every president promises to be the president for everybody whether they voted for him or not.

Trump said that. I was pretty skeptical.

But with Biden, you believe it.

You get the idea that he really does want what's best for America.

Not himself.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Here's how it made me feel:

Everything has changed.

We have a new country!

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,190 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    22yo Amanda Gorman NAILED the inaugural poem:

She could be president in a few decades...
    Mike Meyers did it better, and first. She was a vapid travesty of a "poet." Her entire discourse was puerile tripe.

At least Meyers was doing it as satire in a comedy movie... But then again Biden's inauguration might well be the opening to a comedy movie...

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Mike Meyers did it better, and first. She was a vapid travesty of a "poet." Her entire discourse was puerile tripe.

At least Meyers was doing it as satire in a comedy movie... But then again Biden's inauguration might well be the opening to a comedy movie...
    Mike Myers is awesome.

And I get it. Biden wasn't your guy. No way you're going to allow him to be uplifting. Your reaction is to look for anything negative about the event and seize upon that. If nothing jumps out simply dismiss it out of hand.

More likely, you couldn't bring yourself to watch it, so you can't be more specific with your disapproval.

But I'll tell you this.

I watched Trump's inauguration. Every bit of it. I saw the glum look on Melania's face, how she put on the well practiced radiant smile when she thought she was supposed to. It was clear she didn't really want to be there. Maybe they argued about it and he issued her an ultimatum. Who knows? That was the vibe I totally got from the looks on her face. It could hardly have been more different from the look on Ivanka's face. She loves him and everything about him. No wonder she cried at his farewell.

I was moved the most by what Trump said in his victory speech on the night of his remarkable win in 2016. He never sounded more presidential than on that night. I found myself wondering who this guy was and what had happened to the Trump we were more familiar with.

Later, it was apparent that night was an act.

It didn't take long before he was back to his old self. I do think he really tried to be presidential at first, but he had no functional idea of what that meant. After a while, he just quit trying at all and simply did what he wanted to. He stopped listening to anybody who told him what he didn't want to hear, and anyone who persisted got fired. It's no wonder his administration couldn't measure up to the standard. He was a one man show with a bunch of yes-men for an administration, and for an entire party. And the one man was all in for the one man.

I think we are going to see a VERY different approach with Biden. He's not in this for himself. He is a career public servant. He wants to show us what dedicated leadership looks like. I think he is off to a great start. A dedicated leader doesn't always do what he wants. He listens to the country, tries to figure out what the nation as a whole is saying, then determines to act on that.

What did Biden hear when he listened to the nation?

He heard that we are too bitterly divided to get anything done or deal with issues.

So he has decided the thing to do is try to reunite the nation.

And he is uniquely qualified to do just that.

He has had a lifetime habit of reaching out to others who are out of his comfort zone.

I think if you give him a fair chance you will find that he has the nation's interest at heart. This may not be the same things that you want for yourself. It's not possible to please everyone. But I think you will find that what Biden wants to do is going to help the nation as a whole, and that will translate into a stronger economy and a nation with better values.

We can't build a future on hatred. We've learned that.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Amanda Gorman for President 2036...

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,173 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

I enjoyed watching the entire celebration. The music and poem readings were great. and I was inspired by the Olive Branch being extended to every American to help end the Virus and set all the hatred and politics aside, and work together in Congress to resolve American problems.

The Democrats welcome both conservative and progressive ideas, and just want things debated on the floor as they should be, with everything on the table. We want to see American Government work the way it was designed to operate.

I say we, but that is how Biden see's it, and he's in charge, so it's a great time to work together to legislate while he is offering this OLIVE BRANCH and committed to working with the Republican leaders.

The ACA will be updated- and there will be a new Immigration Bill so make sure your Congressmen in your District is in the game and your district is participating in the new legislation.

OR NO PROBLEM- THE DEMOCRATS ARE IN POWER AND JUST CALL ALL THE SHOTS FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS!

That's really up to you and your Congressmen!

BIDEN IS ASKING FOR YOUR HELP- but with it or without it- THE DEMOCRATS ARE MOVING AHEAD!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-21-2021)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Geeko Sportivo,

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I enjoyed watching the entire celebration. The music and poem readings were great. and I was inspired by the Olive Branch being extended to every American to help end the Virus and set all the hatred and politics aside, and work together in Congress to resolve American problems.

The Democrats welcome both conservative and progressive ideas, and just want things debated on the floor as they should be, with everything on the table. We want to see American Government work the way it was designed to operate.

I say we, but that is how Biden see's it, and he's in charge, so it's a great time to work together to legislate while he is offering this OLIVE BRANCH and committed to working with the Republican leaders.

The ACA will be updated- and there will be a new Immigration Bill so make sure your Congressmen in your District is in the game and your district is participating in the new legislation.

OR NO PROBLEM- THE DEMOCRATS ARE IN POWER AND JUST CALL ALL THE SHOTS FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS!

That's really up to you and your Congressmen!

BIDEN IS ASKING FOR YOUR HELP- but with it or without it- THE DEMOCRATS ARE MOVING AHEAD!
    An excellent assessment.

I was particularly moved by the strong emphasis on unity and rebuilding mutual respect.

Of course that message spoke to me. I have been an advocate of that all along.

I just wish more people would get it.

There's so much to talk about in the world of politics. It's a shame that people get hung up on the mundane and hardly ever get beyond that level.

It's too bad we don't have better political discussions here. Mostly this place is just a bunch of insult contests.

I don't get it. All that name calling and personal stuff is totally boring to me. We don't know each other here, all we know is the way people post. Most of the posters here just seem to want to have nasty name-calling arguments and that's the main reason they come here. OK, so they are getting their emotions stroked, but what about their minds? I would think that people who are so hung up on telling each other how things are would want to focus a little bit more on learning more than castigating others.

I mean really, if dealing with somebody who is just plain stupid, the logical thing is not to call them names. What good does that do? Is that supposed to suddenly make them smart? Seriously? That's how they think stupid people should be treated? Insult them for not knowing as much as they do? Makes no sense. It's not what a wise mind would do.

Really, it's just frustrated people looking for a place to unload their emotions.

And they are probably emotions from something else. They just come in here looking for some kind of emotional boost to get them out of their funk, but it doesn't work. It might feel really good in the moment, but it does not address whatever issue was bothering them in the first place.

Once this process becomes a habit people become desensitized to it. They don't realize just how abrasive it is. They don't really know why they continue doing it but they keep coming back. What's happening is they are getting just a little endorphin rush when they 'tell somebody off.' It doesn't last, so it has to be repeated.

They end up like a test monkey junky pushing the button for another fix.

It sad to see but there's nothing that can be done to help them until they decide to help themselves. In most cases, they should just quit posting. But if they have strong fortitude and are able to change their habits they could try envisioning what they want to be and create a new habit to replace the old one. Then, every time they feel the urge to unload on somebody, force themselves to do the new habit instead. After a few weeks of this the new habit becomes second nature and they no longer have to force themselves to do it. It becomes the new habit. A good habit.

Bad habits can be replaced with good ones. It's all up to the individual and how much they want to change.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

All of them should be that way ...
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,762 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I'm not a huge Biden fan by any means, but even I felt as though an anvil pendant was removed from my neck.
    If mediocre Joe represents a massive improvement,
    and he certainly does,
    let that remind us of just how low we had gotten.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post: