Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Trump's new 'Patriot Party' signals the death knell of the GOP, permanent Dem rule

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,827 Times in 3,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 368 Times in 352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    My apologies if I misunderstood you but you seem to be interchanging bedrock conservative beliefs with what the Republican Party does when those two aren't necessarily the same thing.
    I agree that the modern American Republican party has little to nothing to do with classical conservatism.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I agree that the modern American Republican party has little to nothing to do with classical conservatism.
    I guess the 'classical conservatives' were all on vacation when the GOP created and supported this frankenstein, I can only hope they learned their lesson and show up to actually prove they are classics

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

this is what old timey RINOs fear most, as well they should

79% of Republican voters approve of the outgoing president — up 3 points from last week’s nadir

President Donald Trump’s approval rating among Republican voters is back on the uptick after it dropped earlier this month following the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by a group of Trump supporters, underscoring the political risk facing Senate Republicans who are set to decide the president’s fate in their chamber’s upcoming impeachment trial.

Morning Consult Political Intelligence tracking conducted Jan. 15-17 found 79 percent of Republican voters approve of the outgoing president, up 3 percentage points from 76 percent in polling conducted Jan. 10-12, before 10 House Republicans joined all Democrats in voting to impeach Trump on a charge of inciting the insurrection that resulted in the deaths of five people, including a Capitol Police officer.

https://morningconsult.com/2021/01/1...ction-polling/

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,479 Times in 52,483 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    Power. Raw lust for power
    An addiction like Donnie Junior's love of cocaine?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    I guess the 'classical conservatives' were all on vacation when the GOP created and supported this frankenstein, I can only hope they learned their lesson and show up to actually prove they are classics
    I don't think that most Republicans were ever conservatives. They were just corrupt power brokers looking to make a buck. When the brainless base of the party became mesmerized by their fat, mentally vacant jesus, the suits went along with it. I hesitate to make predictions about the Republican party because I really don't see how it can recover, although I could be wrong.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Let me ask you this. If I were a Democrat I might be looking around feeling pretty good about myself, especially with this internal battle going on inside the Republican Party. But we know the Democrats have their own issues. Obviously there's unity right now behind removing Trump. But as we saw in '16, there was a portion of the party that was willing to sit out an election because they felt the party wasn't addressing their concerns. Once the 'newness' of Biden wears off I'm willing to guess we'll see those fault lines reappear.

Do you think this will all be smoothed over going forward of will the Bernie vs. establishment battles continue?
    No I don't. They may have vastly different political views on the issue but it is the same issue that is driving the political radicalization of both the mostly white collar Bernie Bros and the Blue Collar Trumpsters. That being the gross inequality in this nation that Trump tapped into via demagoguery. In that respect those to political factions actually have far more in common than they would care to believe.

What were witnessing now goes back to the Credit Default Swap Crises of 2008 where the curtains opened and the American public caught a glimpse of just how incredibly rigged out system is against those who work for a living...blue collar or white collar. It is this rigged system and the gross inequality that it has created that is almost purely to blame for the radicalization in US politics. Whether it be from the left or from the right. This time around (under Trump) it was most clearly communicated by the white working class supporters of Trump and fucking A right they have the right to be pissed. Supporting a demagogue like Trump may have been misplaced but at least he was addressing the issue.

My prediction is that unless this issue is addressed and corrected the political radicalization will get worst and not better. Though I don't really question Biden's intentions I seriously doubt he has the ability to significantly make a difference on the issue. I hope like hell I'm wrong but...I doubt it.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I'm not agreeing there's no correlation. We all know political parties exist to win elections/power. That's what they do first and foremost. So no party is every going to fully align with all principles of conservatism or liberalism. Now what is debatable is how close is each party to what they espouse.

What's interesting is when we look at the rhetoric of both the Republicans and the Democrats towards the Republicans, along with reality. Republican politicians of course espouse conservative principles on the campaign trail and often act different once in office. But listen to Democrats describe Republicans. How often do we hear Democrats say Republicans want to eliminate Medicare? Republicans want to eliminate Social Security? Republicans want to eliminate the minimum wage? Republicans want to shred the social safety net? Republicans don't want to fund education? We could go on. If all that were true that would be quite in line with classical conservatism.

So many moving parts involved.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't think that most Republicans were ever conservatives. They were just corrupt power brokers looking to make a buck. When the brainless base of the party became mesmerized by their fat, mentally vacant jesus, the suits went along with it. I hesitate to make predictions about the Republican party because I really don't see how it can recover, although I could be wrong.
    In this country I can't predict what will happen to the GOP either, especially since 80% of them REMAIN Trump loyalists - that's an astounding percentage

and that morally bankrupt portion of the electorate is here to stay, Trump's approval rating with these idiots and zealots continues to increase, even since Jan 6th

Republicans that fell under Trump's spell inhabit mega-red states around the country, states the constitution granted FAR too much power to by giving almost uninhabited regions 2 senators and at least 3 reps. many of these states should be totally ignored on the national scene, they're lost forever

how the GOP can be at all relevant in national elections going forward is a real mystery to me, especially since in 2016 it put forward the worst presidential candidate, bar none, in American history

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    An addiction like Donnie Junior's love of cocaine?
    Yes, AND it includes the fake tears!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CharacterAssassin For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-21-2021)

11. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 38 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nope, we're a functioning democratic republic. You could go fuck yourself, though, moron.
    We are a representative Republic, or we were. We now have a president who was installed by criminals. There are Civics courses available on line.

12. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not agreeing there's no correlation. We all know political parties exist to win elections/power. That's what they do first and foremost. So no party is every going to fully align with all principles of conservatism or liberalism. Now what is debatable is how close is each party to what they espouse.

What's interesting is when we look at the rhetoric of both the Republicans and the Democrats towards the Republicans, along with reality. Republican politicians of course espouse conservative principles on the campaign trail and often act different once in office. But listen to Democrats describe Republicans. How often do we hear Democrats say Republicans want to eliminate Medicare? Republicans want to eliminate Social Security? Republicans want to eliminate the minimum wage? Republicans want to shred the social safety net? Republicans don't want to fund education? We could go on. If all that were true that would be quite in line with classical conservatism.

So many moving parts involved.
    Interesting perspective.

13. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    In this country I can't predict what will happen to the GOP either, especially since 80% of them REMAIN Trump loyalists - that's an astounding percentage

and that morally bankrupt portion of the electorate is here to stay, Trump's approval rating with these idiots and zealots continues to increase, even since Jan 6th

Republicans that fell under Trump's spell inhabit mega-red states around the country, states the constitution granted FAR too much power to by giving almost uninhabited regions 2 senators and at least 3 reps. many of these states should be totally ignored on the national scene, they're lost forever

how the GOP can be at all relevant in national elections going forward is a real mystery to me, especially since in 2016 it put forward the worst presidential candidate, bar none, in American history
    The destiny of the Trumpists is going to be a rocky road. They need to be addressed somehow, but lacking rationality, logic, a respect for truth, and any ability to think critically, I'm not sure how to handle them.

14. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by coldjoint View Post
    We are a representative Republic, or we were. We now have a president who was installed by criminals. There are Civics courses available on line.
    You're such a stupid fuck. Sell your OAN bullshit to someone who cares.

15. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 38 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're such a stupid fuck. Sell your OAN bullshit to someone who cares.
    I am not selling anything. You are the one pushing lies, that no one is buying.

16. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by coldjoint View Post
    I am not selling anything. You are the one pushing lies, that no one is buying.
    The election was fair, free, and valid. Stop being such a floppy pussy.