Thread: The ferocious last gasps of the religion of Christian America

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Default Jan 6th and the ferocious last gasps of the religion of Christian America

Donald Trump’s presidency has baffled the majority of Americans for four years. What should we make of decisive Christian support for an American politician whose life and priorities are fundamentally anti-Christian? Why would elected members of any party support legal maneuvers that would undermine American democracy? How could insurrection against the people’s government be configured as patriotism?

As Trump’s reign implodes, these anomalies betray the last gasps of a long-standing American religion that is now passing away — the religion of Christian America sustained by a corrupted version of Christianity.

If faith can inspire extremism, a dying belief system can inspire unthinkable deeds, even unthinkable acts of violence, as its adherents attempt to preserve its power — in this case, in the American public square.

To be clear, this dying American religion has little or nothing to do with Jesus, who consistently lifted up oppressed and marginalized people — women, the poor and ethnic minorities, for example — but everything to do with white, patriarchal dominance. And as it dies, it opens up space for new voices that have been marginalized for many years, and there we find fresh hope.

In order to grasp the effect of Christian America on our current crisis, we must look back 500 years to a young Protestant pastor who erected a theological foundation that, in due time, would help sustain a nation the pastor could never have imagined — the United States....

[SNIP]

We will, therefore, see more assaults — perhaps even more violent assaults — on the Constitution and the government established by America’s Founders. And those who launch those assaults will inevitably ground them in the venerable tradition of Christian America that is dying before our eyes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...cid=uxbndlbing
    Worth reading the entire article which sums it up in nutshell.
    Last edited by Cinnabar; 01-19-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    "Christian" tends to be conflated with white Protestant.

I did not see any actual data in the article, but my hypothesis is that white Protestants solidly support the GOP while white Catholics, black Protestants, and Jews overwhelmingly support the Dems.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

IT'S A PILE OF NONSENSE FROM SOMEONE SINGULARLY IGNORANT OF CURRENT US CHRISTIANITY.
    +

BTW:Christianity is the most prevalent religion in the United States, with 65% of polled American adults identifying themselves as Christian in 2019. In a 2015 survey, 75% of adults in the United States identified themselves as Christians, 70.6% in 2014, 78% in 2012, 81.6% in 2001, and 85% in 1990.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    "Christian" tends to be conflated with white Protestant.

I did not see any actual data in the article, but my hypothesis is that white Protestants solidly support the GOP while white Catholics, black Protestants, and Jews overwhelmingly support the Dems.
    The point of the article is to highlight the fear that these white supremacists who hypocritically identity as Christians have in losing power and relevancy in the USA as the nation progresses and demographics change..
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Good article. Another reason to never trust a Christian.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Bigot Bros are at it again.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,844 Times in 14,184 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

To be clear, this dying American religion has little or nothing to do with Jesus, who consistently lifted up oppressed and marginalized people — women, the poor and ethnic minorities, for example — but everything to do with white, patriarchal dominance. And as it dies, it opens up space for new voices that have been marginalized for many years, and there we find fresh hope.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Cinnabar (01-19-2021)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Founders, though some were Christian, had a radically different vision for the nation — a vision of liberty and human equality grounded not in the Christian religion or fealty to biblical text but rather in “Nature and Nature’s God,” as Thomas Jefferson put it in the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution’s 1st Amendment went even further, stripping the Christian religion — or any religion, for that matter — from exercising a favored status under the law.

We will, therefore, see more assaults — perhaps even more violent assaults — on the Constitution and the government established by America’s Founders. And those who launch those assaults will inevitably ground them in the venerable tradition of Christian America that is dying before our eyes.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    The Bigot Bros are at it again.......
    ^^^^^^^

white christian nationalist, the enemy of America

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    The Founders, though some were Christian, had a radically different vision for the nation — a vision of liberty and human equality grounded not in the Christian religion or fealty to biblical text but rather in “Nature and Nature’s God,” as Thomas Jefferson put it in the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution’s 1st Amendment went even further, stripping the Christian religion — or any religion, for that matter — from exercising a favored status under the law.

Do tell. I would absolutely love to see you try to talk about this some more.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    ^^^^^^^

white christian nationalist, the enemy of America
    there is no need for you to identify yourself.......your identity is already clear.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”