Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens if Biden gets his $15 minimum wage passed?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 2,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 404 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bull&Terrier View Post
    Well if it's a picture someone made on twitter, it must be true!
    check it out, if you do not believe it...goon.

The Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development developed a list of each country's minimum wages. The ten countries with the highest minimum wages (in USD) are:

Luxembourg ($13.78)
    Australia ($12.14)
    France ($11.66)
    New Zealand ($11.20)
    Germany ($10.87)
    Netherlands ($10.44)
    Belgium ($10.38)
    United Kingdom ($10.34)
    Ireland ($9.62)
    Canada ($9.52)

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...age-by-country

here is a comparison of big mac costs around the world-

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...for-a-big-mac/

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    We hear the same lamentations every time there is talk of raising the minimum wage.

really?

so you think now is a good time to raise minimum wage when we don't even let most stores open yet demand they pay thier employees, taxes, mortgages?

you think they can afford this?

I bet they halve the employees and double thier workload.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post

The Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development developed a list of each country's minimum wages. The ten countries with the highest minimum wages (in USD) are:

Luxembourg ($13.78)
    Australia ($12.14)
    France ($11.66)
    New Zealand ($11.20)
    Germany ($10.87)
    Netherlands ($10.44)
    Belgium ($10.38)
    United Kingdom ($10.34)
    Ireland ($9.62)
    Canada ($9.52)

I literally showed you you gave the value meal prices for the burger in the US price. you were caught with a lying meme. I can't help they see your gullible ass from a mile away.

Is this before taxes? of course it is.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,625 Times in 52,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,516 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    So, what happens if Biden gets the minimum wage to $15 an hour?

Here's were the minimum wage is right now:

https://images.markets.businessinsid...m-wage-map.png

In many states that more than doubles it overnight. Given the current state of business closures for Chinese Disease, will they just decide to close for good in those states? Will employers be able to take that big a wage hit? Will the states with larger portions of the population at minimum wage take a bigger hit?

https://i.insider.com/57211ba052bcd0...6b8?width=1200

How will this affect workers making $15 an hour or more?

My prediction is it is one of many blows that the economy will take causing recovery to grind to a halt... Will Biden blame Trump for that?
    My guess is inflation, higher unemployment, more automation.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Almost nothing would happen. Even now folks are hired above minimum pretty much everywhere. The reality is, minimum wage is normally only really necessary during a recession, not needed at the beginning of a boom like we'll have when folks really begin to reopen now that we have a new naked emperor...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    That depends entirely on you...is this a good faith request, or a bad faith one?

In other words, before I do this work, are you going to accept it or are you going to sealion under this new sock of yours?
    What new sock name?

If you don't want to provide it don't provide it. No skin off my nose.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I literally showed you you gave the value meal prices for the burger in the US price. you were caught with a lying meme. I can't help they see your gullible ass from a mile away.

Is this before taxes? of course it is.
    good god, you are a stupid piece of shit. can't even accept the facts even as they are slapping your right across your huge gaping piehole.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier Daddy For This Post:

Rune (01-19-2021)

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,260 Times in 33,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Almost nothing would happen. Even now folks are hired above minimum pretty much everywhere. The reality is, minimum wage is normally only really necessary during a recession, not needed at the beginning of a boom like we'll have when folks really begin to reopen now that we have a new naked emperor...
    Lol, yes, reopening will happen, because we will finally have an administration that knows how to handle a natural disaster.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    In states below a $15 minimum (all of them right now) increasing wages means a hit on profitability. In the worst cases, going from $7.50 an hour to $15 means that each employee will cost you $300 more per week in wages and added to that higher payouts for unemployment insurance, employer part social security, employer part taxes, etc., meaning roughly $500 per employee. Let's say your business has 10 employees at $7.50 an hour. That's about $5000 a week you have to cough up to pay them and satiate the government. For a small business, that could be door closing. For a large company with thousands of workers it's going to be unaffordable.
    The thing you are deliberately or inadvertently forgetting about all this, is that the people at the lower end of the income spectrum are also the ones most likely to spend money in the economy, thus creating demand.

Because, as I'm sure an amateur economist like you knows, an economy can only grow by demand.

So how does one increase demand? Simple...pay people more money to spend. We know that stimulus is most effective when it's directed at the bottom, rather than the top. So by lifting the minimum wage to $15/hr, we end up SAVING money on welfare programs that are income-determinant.

So the choice really boils down to this: Do you want to spend less or more on social welfare programs? Because a higher minimum wage means you spend LESS on things like SNAP, Housing Assistance, etc.

It could encourage fewer to pursue education.
    Not if Public Colleges are free.

It will encourage businesses to automate big time.
    They already are automating and have already done that. Where have you been the last 30 years?????

Then there's the trickle up effect. If the line workers are getting $15 an hour now instead of say $7.50 and the manager was making $15 an hour, how much do you have to raise the manager's wage?
    ZERO. You don't have to raise it at all.

For some companies, off shoring will become attractive.
    You mean those who haven't already done this? Like who?

The cost of goods and services will go up.
    Nominally, maybe. Incrementally, perhaps. But drastically? No.

Future raises will be fewer and further between.
    Most workers don't get raises now.

A big mandatory raise like that certainly result in companies withholding raises in pay for whatever
    Why would they do that if their revenues are also increasing thanks to more people having more money to spend?

Over time, things like a smaller wage gap, etc., will disappear as the market corrects itself to the new norm.
    Do you...do you think the wage gap is equitable now??????
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post

Luxembourg ($13.78)
    Australia ($12.14)
    France ($11.66)
    New Zealand ($11.20)
    Germany ($10.87)
    Netherlands ($10.44)
    Belgium ($10.38)
    United Kingdom ($10.34)
    Ireland ($9.62)
    Canada ($9.52)

What do you think a higher MW does to the price of a big mac?

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

lol, I've been on every continent cept Antarctica, the fuck you lying about me for?
    Liar.

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

lol, I've been on every continent cept Antarctica, the fuck you lying about me for?
    Maybe you went to those continents under a different ID than the one you decided to resurrect in mid-October when it appeared Trump was going to lose?

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jenkins View Post
    What new sock name?

Did you forget which ID you were using?

Why should I give you anything that you can search for yourself in Google, since you can't even be honest with me under this new sock you created?

Why did you create this new sock? Did you get tired of being embarrassed?

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,350 Times in 13,456 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 846 Times in 805 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    IF YOU CAN'T OFFER UP A GOOD WAGE THEN YOU SHOULD GO BANKRUPT AND GET OUT OF THE WAY FOR THOSE WILLING TO PAY A WAGE THAT IS FAIR and competitive.
    The problem with this reasoning is that many things are not mandatory or non-optional as part of our economy. That is, if what your company does isn't critical or absolutely necessary to society, then you may very well go bankrupt and NOBODY will choose to do what you did in your stead.

The other likelihood is that you get replaced by a machine.

McDonald's counter help? Don't need you anymore. You were replaced by a kiosk.

So, I the owner got rid of say 8 positions to keep my other 6 and my payroll overall stays the same. I didn't go bankrupt, but I did create 8 newly unemployed people now living in poverty. So, your whole theory there needs some serious revision.

And, the economy won't boom. Sure, those below $15 an hour now make more, but those at or above $15 an hour now feel slighted by the fact that their higher skill levels are underappreciated and they too want raises. That all costs money and raises the price of goods and services. In the end, the economy takes a hit and then settles back to steady state. The artificial wage increase is adjusted for and everybody ends up back were they were before it happened. Sure, now a $5.00 burger costs say $9.50, but that's the market price at a $15 minimum wage...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-19-2021), War=Peace (01-20-2021)

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    My guess is inflation, higher unemployment, more automation.
    good thing you get almost everything wrong!! minimum wage has not been raised in 12 years.....and wages have remained fairly constant during that time, and yet productivity has gone up, and huge historic profits for so many companies have occurred, and the number of millionaires in the country has gone through the roof during that time. almost all workers get MORE THAN MINIMUM WAGE RIGHT NOW, STUPID. and there are exceptions for small companies and for other reasons, to maintain the minimum wage.

Yes, Democrats held majority almost every time ... - PolitiFactwww.politifact.com › factchecks › feb › facebook-posts
    Claim: Since 1938 the minimum wage has been increased "23 times" and was raised "21 times during Democratic congresses, and only twice during Republican ones."
    Claimed by: Facebook posts
    Fact check by PolitiFact: Mostly True