Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens if Biden gets his $15 minimum wage passed?

1. #286 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by War=Peace View Post
    Why belabor the obvious?

There are TWO massively criminal parties at work, but only one has tried to burn the country own for the last 5 years, and they're being handed the nuclear football tomorrow.

Dark Days indeed.
    The last 5 years? Obviously it's Trump.

2. #287 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,417 Times in 52,442 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by War=Peace View Post
    I don't believe in evil, only danger.

But you're pretty much preaching to the choir here - I hate both wings of the duopoly, and simply see how dangerous one is right now.
    Consider the situation of Siamese Twin where one twin has gone a little nuts. Do you really think cutting the head off the mad Twin is such a good idea?

Isn't is dangerous that one twin would even consider doing so? Stupid too?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #288 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,104 Times in 12,631 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,443 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries

The shadow economy, which is now almost certainly north of 12% of the total, will grow still more. .....which is bad for us.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

War=Peace (01-20-2021)

5. #289 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShitTalker View Post
    You know the MW is too low when fewer and fewer jobs are paying the MW. If it gets to the point where no minimum wage job has any applicants at all, then you know it is totally pointless.
    Yet someone just claimed that 58 million Americans are employed in minimum wage jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Vagina 426 View Post
    Should also be noted that this would affect 58,000,000 workers, 42% of the current workforce.

6. #290 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    Elevating the nin wage does not increase unemployment. It has been increased in many places and the data proves that. There are many economic articles on the net that will corroborate.

"Many places"?

Six cities.

The author cites a single study that she says refutes the CBO without substantiating her assertion.

Then she offers this stunning conclusion: "In general, the mere fact of job losses does not disqualify a minimum-wage increase from being a good policy for workers and the economy."

Did you even read past the headline?

7. #291 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,417 Times in 52,442 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Not a word about upper level Republican psychopaths serving their masters? Boy you truly are partisan.
    The comments seem rather partisan.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-19-2021)

9. #292 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Dude, your blanket condemnation of Republicans is a matter of record. IMO, a person who says "Screw the Jews" is no worse than a person who says "My religion is the only religion and all others are blasphemous scum." It's phraseology with the same results. That's what I'm saying about your Republican comments, sir.

Better to understand, like a cop does, that if a traffic accident has 12 witnesses then there will be 12 versions of the accident. The cops job isn't to assign who's a fucking lying douche, it's to find the truth as the first step to resolution. The cop's job, and the court's is to investigation and resolve in a truthful manner for the trust and benefit of all. When people start cheating and/or finger-pointing, it just bogs up the wheels of our society.

Trust is gained through honesty. A government which isn't honest with it's people isn't honest. Voters who elect dishonest people are dishonest themselves. When Americans wise up enough to put the truth over their own self-interests, then the nation will start kicking ass again. Greed is killing us.
    Agreed that we need better controls on greed.

The other garbage about attacking me only came after I rightly commented that you responded to one person and used that one person's comment to judge the entire Democratic party. And as soon as I pointed that out that's when your cussing and diversions began.

And it's not like you weren't provoked into it.

Micawber said: "The Republicans are wrong to continually throw a rod in the engine of progress. Get on board or get lost..."

To which you responded: "AKA My way or the Highway. I love how authoritarian Democrats look when the truth comes out. "

I butted into it by noting that:

"'Democrats?'

You were talking to one person.

How do you get judging the entire Democratic party out of that? "

Well, I think we can see how you got there. You were provoked into making a blanket statement about Democrats. After all, Micawber had just made one about Republicans.

And there you have it. The whole we/they thing, as stinky as can be.

I think you'd have had a better argument if you had instead done to Micawber what I just did to you. Instead of taking the bait and counter attacking Democrats in general, point out the flaws in Micawber's generalized statement about Republicans. He was tricky to set you off with the authoritative demand. Nobody likes to be bossed around. Maybe pass on the obvious bait and go for the weakness of the argument.

Much the way I am now ignoring your rather obvious attempt to make it all about me, which wasn't the subject, but you'll go there if it will take the focus away from your generalization. Instead, that's where I'm staying. Because that was a weakness in your absurd conclusion that what Micawber said somehow means the Democrats are 'authoritarian.' Some of them are. Many are not. It can't be said of all of them. Democrats are more usually found looking out for the concerns of the disadvantaged and powerless. Sticking up for the little guy. Yeah, that's them.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-19-2021)

11. #293 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 11,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    So, what happens if Biden gets the minimum wage to $15 an hour?

Here's were the minimum wage is right now:

In many states that more than doubles it overnight. Given the current state of business closures for Chinese Disease, will they just decide to close for good in those states? Will employers be able to take that big a wage hit? Will the states with larger portions of the population at minimum wage take a bigger hit?

How will this affect workers making $15 an hour or more?

My prediction is it is one of many blows that the economy will take causing recovery to grind to a halt... Will Biden blame Trump for that?
    The same thing that always happens with price controls. Shortages. In this case, shortages of jobs.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

War=Peace (01-20-2021)

13. #294 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    If you can't afford to pay someone $15 per hour for their time, you have no business being in business.
    You don't have authority to dictate markets. That's fascism. Fuck you.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

War=Peace (01-20-2021)

15. #295 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Why would more people making more money be a bad thing? more income, more disposable income, more economic activity, more taxes paid, more rich guys making more to keep up with demand, more people being hired by rich guys to keep up with the demand, more taxes paid. building an economy from the bottom up makes 5000 times more sense, and works 5000 times better, that stupid shit supply side, from the top down policies.
    More people would not be making more money. Price controls never work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

War=Peace (01-20-2021)

17. #296 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I don't know. Show me some non-partisan objective data. I've seen the data from the CBO that it would harm the economy with about 1.3 million projected job losses nationally and increased consumer costs, particularly in the service sector. But these are projections and not actual data from actually doing so. There is also objective data from cities like Seattle who have increased the minimum wage to $15 that it increases consumer spending and therefore business opportunities and that those who earn that minimum wage, particularly in the service sector, spend a significant amount of their increased wages in the service sector which again drives up business opportunities, i.e. more customers, in the service sector. That data showed also that the $15 minimum wage most negatively affected part time workers, particularly young workers but that it was significantly beneficial to full time workers.

So with a lot of contradictory data out there the one thing that needs to be focused in is this a one size fits all solution that would work? I tend to be skeptical. I think it would be beneficial in regions which have large numbers who work full time at the minimum wage but would be harmful in regions which do not.

As for shutting down the economy that's gross hyperbole. Only about 3% of the working wage population earns the minimum wage or less per your own map.

So then what about other ideas? How about a two tiered minimum wage? One for part time employees and a higher one for full time employees?
    How about not dictating markets? Price controls don't work.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

War=Peace (01-20-2021)

19. #297 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    bullshit...

Neither Australia nor France uses dollars.

20. #298 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Nothing at first, because it's taking a couple years to get there.

Well, since you have exactly ZERO education in economics, and you willfully ignore the increase to the minimum wage in Seattle (and other places) and the subsequent good fortune from that, I expect this prediction to fall by the wayside, and you to eventually distance yourself from it.

Every single prediction Conservatives have ever made about the MW have been wrong.

These are the same Conservatives who said tax cuts would increase economic growth.
    They did.

21. #299 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Exactly. The only thing that grows an economy is demand...and if you increase demand among those at the bottom, it will lead to increased revenue overall, and higher profits.
    Minimum wage laws do not increase demand.

22. #300 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jenkins View Post
    Do you have examples of the "good fortune" that follows from an increased MW in Seattle?
    Yes. Some restaurants left Seattle for good because of MW laws Seattle imposed. They managed to escape the burning and pillaging there from Antifa and BLM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

War=Peace (01-20-2021)