Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens if Biden gets his $15 minimum wage passed?

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'll say another thing about MW that needs to be said.

Besides the rather obvious that it needs to go way up, simply to produce a floor below which workers do not sink, but what else needs to happen is that once that MW is at the ideal point that is acceptable to society in general, that it be thereafter tied to inflation, similar to the way Social Security is.

So every year, MW would go up by the same percentage as Social Security does, the so-called COLA Cost Of Living Adjustment.

Otherwise it just becomes increasingly worth less and less until it is pointless. Every year it won't buy as much as the year before.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Yeah, I could have sworn CA went to $15 already too. I'd have to search on it to verify it, though.
    California is another state headed for $15, but not there yet. In California, it will be $15 for employers of 26 or more in 2022, and $15 for everyone in 2023. It is $14 now, and was $13 in 2020.

3. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You know the MW is too low when fewer and fewer jobs are paying the MW.

If it gets to the point where no minimum wage job has any applicants at all, then you know it is totally pointless.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,937 Times in 13,200 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    If that happens, then you're going to get a pay raise.
    That'd be nice. The roughly equivalent to $50 an hour I make on retirement pay isn't enough for a really lavish lifestyle so getting more would be nice!

5. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,639 Times in 51,924 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    The Republicans are wrong to continually throw a rod in the engine of progress. Get on board or get lost...
    AKA My way or the Highway. I love how authoritarian Democrats look when the truth comes out.

Most Americans are not buying the shit you are selling, counselor.

No one on this forum needs to know who you work for or what you do but can you at least confirm you are not some corporate lawyer asshole representing the very same people you are fighting?

I can guarantee you this: I'm not one of them. I'm just a worker bee. I do understand the need for a Queen bee. OTOH, sometimes Queens need to be replaced. The Hive goes on. Just please confirm you are not a lawyer working for a corporation.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

6. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    California is another state headed for $15, but not there yet. In California, it will be $15 for employers of 26 or more in 2022, and $15 for everyone in 2023. It is $14 now, and was $13 in 2020.
    OK, thanks. And that's the way a national one should be phased in as well. Gradually ease in the changes. Let everybody know well in advance, and take years to do it. All of these arguments about 'So, overnight, businesses would no longer be viable,' are really BS.

7. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,937 Times in 13,200 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Should also be noted that this would affect 58,000,000 workers, 42% of the current workforce.

If 58M people suddenly had up to an extra $6K to spend a year, you're going to see a lot of consumer spending.

It's just good economics, particularly right now when we are all stuck with Trump's COVID.
    Or, you'd see a giant spike in unemployment as workers got laid off...

8. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

You could get creative with that. You could say: 'Either you spend [everything over a certain amount] for the good of society, (and make it something that can be verified) or we'll tax it away from you and do it ourselves. One way to spend it for the good of society would be to simply raise the wages of all the workers that earned it.
    There is always the fear that too much money/assets will get locked into an upper class, just like during the Dark Ages. That is actually bad for the entire economy. So some sort of progressive tax is usually suggested, along with inheritance tax, property tax, etc. Setting a maximum wage seems somewhat extreme, but there really does have to be a maximum percent of the economy that one person, or a small group, can control. There needs to always be a way to move up or down in the economy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-19-2021)

10. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    So, what happens if Biden gets the minimum wage to $15 an hour?

Here's were the minimum wage is right now:

In many states that more than doubles it overnight. Given the current state of business closures for Chinese Disease, will they just decide to close for good in those states? Will employers be able to take that big a wage hit? Will the states with larger portions of the population at minimum wage take a bigger hit?

How will this affect workers making $15 an hour or more?

My prediction is it is one of many blows that the economy will take causing recovery to grind to a halt... Will Biden blame Trump for that?
    Democrats: Hell-bent on burning the country to the ground
    DemoKKKrats: The dangerous fascist psychopaths Orwell warned us about.

11. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    That'd be nice. The roughly equivalent to $50 an hour I make on retirement pay isn't enough for a really lavish lifestyle so getting more would be nice!
    Lock Him Up

12. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    AKA My way or the Highway. I love how authoritarian Democrats look when the truth comes out.

Most Americans are not buying the shit you are selling, counselor.

No one on this forum needs to know who you work for or what you do but can you at least confirm you are not some corporate lawyer asshole representing the very same people you are fighting?

I can guarantee you this: I'm not one of them. I'm just a worker bee. I do understand the need for a Queen bee. OTOH, sometimes Queens need to be replaced. The Hive goes on. Just please confirm you are not a lawyer working for a corporation.
    'Democrats?'

You were talking to one person.

How do you get judging the entire Democratic party out of that?

13. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

'Democrats?'

You were talking to one person.

How do you get judging the entire Democratic party out of that?
    He's been backed up with a few others too including yourself, sir. I understand the drive for revenge. All I'm trying to say is it often slows down the progress many here claim they desire. Hate begets hate.

14. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by War=Peace View Post
    Democrats: Hell-bent on burning the country to the ground
    Do you think they do it because over 80 million Americans are evil or because they are trying to do the right thing in a fucked up manner?

If the latter, I agree with you. If the former then I completely disagree.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

War=Peace (01-19-2021)

16. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

There is always the fear that too much money/assets will get locked into an upper class, just like during the Dark Ages. That is actually bad for the entire economy. So some sort of progressive tax is usually suggested, along with inheritance tax, property tax, etc. Setting a maximum wage seems somewhat extreme, but there really does have to be a maximum percent of the economy that one person, or a small group, can control. There needs to always be a way to move up or down in the economy.
    I know, right? The problem with greed is that it is self-defeating. By the greediest members of society attempting to gather as large a percentage of the overall wealth into one little pot they call their own as they can, that shuts a lot of other people out of capital and opportunity. The rest of the economy, basically. If there's less wealth in circulation, then there is less opportunity to create a business that seeks it.

The greater wealth inequality becomes, the fewer well-paying jobs are available for the rest of society to compete for.

If taken to the extreme, then one person owns all the wealth and everyone else is destitute, has nothing. There can then be no economy at all. There would be no businesses for the one rich person to buy products from. That one person already has all the wealth. No one else would be able to buy anything because none of them would have even one penny. Actually, money would become pointless. People would have no property, simply be hunter-gatherers. Most people in today's society would die.

But that's just the most extreme case. 100% wealth inequality.

We are not there yet. We are on our way. Wealth inequality is growing steadily, and that is a problem.

The more extreme wealth inequality becomes, the less possible it is for there to be a booming economy.

17. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

A prime example of people getting paid far more than they're worth. And you wonder why people are leaving California in droves.