Thread: Would I have stood with MLK?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,626 Times in 21,488 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Would I have stood with MLK?

In honor of MLK, I wanted to share this quote from Untamed by Glennon Doyle. “I imagined myself to be the kind of white person who would have stood with Dr. King because I respect him now. Close to 90 percent of white Americans approve of Dr. King today. Yet while he was alive and demanding change, only about 30 percent approved of him—the same rate of white Americans who approve of Colin Kaepernick today. So, if I want to know how I’d have felt about Dr. King back then, I can’t ask myself how I feel about him now; instead I have to ask myself: How do I feel about Kaepernick now? If I want to know how I’d have felt about the Freedom Riders back then, I can’t ask myself how I feel about them now; instead, I have to ask myself: How do I feel about Black Lives Matter now? If I want to know how I’d have shown up in the last civil rights era, I have to ask myself: How am I showing up today, in this civil rights era?”

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

blackascoal (01-19-2021), Cypress (01-19-2021), Jerome (01-19-2021), ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,528 Times in 52,745 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice quote, thanks. I well remember how reviled he was in his time. In modern times right here on this forum I witnessed someone revile Kaep for months for the #TakeAKnee thing. Yet on Dr. King's holiday she posted quotes from him as though she isn't a racist who wants people of color to just sit down and STFU.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2021), Jerome (01-19-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    In honor of MLK, I wanted to share this quote from Untamed by Glennon Doyle. “I imagined myself to be the kind of white person who would have stood with Dr. King because I respect him now. Close to 90 percent of white Americans approve of Dr. King today. Yet while he was alive and demanding change, only about 30 percent approved of him—the same rate of white Americans who approve of Colin Kaepernick today. So, if I want to know how I’d have felt about Dr. King back then, I can’t ask myself how I feel about him now; instead I have to ask myself: How do I feel about Kaepernick now? If I want to know how I’d have felt about the Freedom Riders back then, I can’t ask myself how I feel about them now; instead, I have to ask myself: How do I feel about Black Lives Matter now? If I want to know how I’d have shown up in the last civil rights era, I have to ask myself: How am I showing up today, in this civil rights era?”
    It's a shame that so many blacks and their white enablers go against the words of MLK. He wanted blacks to be judged by the content of their character not their skin color yet programs exist where the latter is used in order to benefit those that have no character. Strange how those that say skin color shouldn't be used have no problem using it to their benefit when character doesn't exist.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    If I may ask, what does standing with #BLM mean to you? Because it’s become a thing (in the Bay Area at least) that (white) people will put #BLM signs in their yard and will post support for #BLM on social media and then do nothing else. And you have black people saying while that’s nice and all it’s easy for you (white people) to do because it changes nothing in your life.

We as individuals can only do so much of course but do you find yourself doing anything different in your life to support #BLM?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (01-19-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Nice quote, thanks. I well remember how reviled he was in his time. In modern times right here on this forum I witnessed someone revile Kaep for months for the #TakeAKnee thing. Yet on Dr. King's holiday she posted quotes from him as though she isn't a racist who wants people of color to just sit down and STFU.
    MLK said he hoped there would be a day when blacks were judged by the content of their character. What does Colin Kaepernicks behavior tell us about his character? He was paid millions of dollars to play a children's game but all the while referring to the people he would call if he was in danger, pigs.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jenkins View Post
    MLK said he hoped there would be a day when blacks were judged by the content of their character. What does Colin Kaepernicks behavior tell us about his character? He was paid millions of dollars to play a children's game but all the while referring to the people he would call if he was in danger, pigs.
    His character tells me that he gave that up for his principles. You all treated him exactly as MLK was treated back in his day, except that so far Kaep has escaped assassination.

Crawl back under your rock.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Jerome (01-19-2021)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

When doing that produced results blacks didn't like, they blamed racism and began supporting programs that judged them based on their skin color.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

His character tells me that he gave that up for his principles. You all treated him exactly as MLK was treated back in his day, except that so far Kaep has escaped assassination.

Impossible. That POS has no principles. He was treated exactly as a whiner deserves to be treated.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If I may ask, what does standing with #BLM mean to you? Because it’s become a thing (in the Bay Area at least) that (white) people will put #BLM signs in their yard and will post support for #BLM on social media and then do nothing else. And you have black people saying while that’s nice and all it’s easy for you (white people) to do because it changes nothing in your life.

We as individuals can only do so much of course but do you find yourself doing anything different in your life to support #BLM?
    Oh, is this the Aunt Bea's Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is Show? lol

The only thing "different" I do is debate with RW morons who insist that BLM is violent, Marxist, antifa, blah blah blah by showing that they are wrong. Other than that I gift my g-kids with books and toys and dolls that don't favor white characters over non-white characters. And I treat my white g-kids the same as my mixed-race g-kids who self-identify as black. </virtue-signaling> lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (01-19-2021)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

The POS got shot

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,567 Times in 17,094 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

It is not a childs game. It is one of the biggest industries in the country. He protested cops beating and killing blacks and other minorities.He did it silently and was it was no problem until Trump saw a way to get press off of it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2021)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Who is "you"? Are you always this unreasonable? What principles exactly was he staying up for?

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

MLK is the oposite of BLM

MLK stood for empowerment of individuals of all colors. BLM is factionalized along skin color

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    It is not a childs game. It is one of the biggest industries in the country. He protested cops beating and killing blacks and other minorities.He did it silently and was it was no problem until Trump saw a way to get press off of it.
    It is a child's game made into an industry. How big itbis doesn't change what it is. Doesnt behavior have consequences? He protested and there are consequences. This stuff doesn't only happen in one direction does it?

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Oh, is this the Aunt Bea's Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is Show? lol

The only thing "different" I do is debate with RW morons who insist that BLM is violent, Marxist, antifa, blah blah blah by showing that they are wrong. Other than that I gift my g-kids with books and toys and dolls that don't favor white characters over non-white characters. And I treat my white g-kids the same as my mixed-race g-kids who self-identify as black. </virtue-signaling> lol
    you'd be hard pressed to find toys that aren't "diverse" -if they even exist.

ANTIFA/BLM riots belie the rest of this hackery