Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you impeach a former president ?

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I seem to remember a lot of talk about how Roberts could have ordered witnesses in the first Senate trial,
    The Senate would obviously not go along with this.
    Article 1, Section 3, Clause 6 of the Constitution states that the Senate has" the sole Power to try all Impeachments.”

Roberts is merely a presiding officer -the Senate runs the trial as it's a stated plenary power

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    What did I tell you? Get a kid to read it for you. You obviously cannot read nor comprehend. No surprise there.
    In other words, you cannot back up your Bullshit, call me shocked....

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bulletbob,

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    no it has not impeachment is like filing a charge by the da its meaningless unless a judge and a jury fine a person guilty . The senate has not done so and trump will not be president by the time they can, he will be a private citizen. Democrats don't control the constitution or the law . I didnt insult or use foul language on forums till I came here and was harassed by you liberals such as biden president who hd told me several times to go fuck my self so I am just acting like him and other liberals
    I am a liberal and have been nothing but respectful to you.

And just because somebody else did something wrong does not make it OK for you to do it too.

That's the worst defense in the world.

A defendant is standing before a judge, charged with looting.

"What have you got to say for yourself, son?"

"Everybody else was doing it!"

"Guilty as charged" is the reply.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
    In other words, you cannot back up your Bullshit, call me shocked....
    I already did. You just cannot read. No surprise there.

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Red Jenkins,

Please not my Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

If you're good with that I hope we have many interesting discussions. If not we won't be talking long.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jenkins View Post
    No private citizens cannot be impeached.
    A private citizen would face criminal charges for inciting an insurrection.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Red Jenkins,

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jenkins View Post
    I question whether he incited insurrection.
    That will be for the Senate to rule on.

7. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Under English Common Law, a trial can only continue if there is a meaningful decision to be made. At first blush, this would seem to support your statement, but it goes a little deeper. The meaningful decision does not have to be the primary decision. So if someone is being tried, could be executed with their property being confiscated, and dies. The primary decision of whether to execute him has been made, but the secondary decision about confiscating property is still open.

In this case, the secondary decision over whether trump should be banned from office still has to be made.

More importantly, the Senate makes the decision of how the trial progresses, and even whether the trial progresses. The Constitution is very particular about "SOLE POWER" being vested with the Senate. This means the Supreme Court cannot review the decision.

It all falls to the Republicans to decide. If the Republicans want him tried and convicted, they can do such. If not, they have enough power to block it.
    Also at issue is the continuation of Trump's benefit package. An ex president gets a salary for life. That could be cut off.

8. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    A conviction could ban him from ever going into office again, so that would be something. It is for the Senate to decide if that is a waste of taxpayer money, or not.
    It would be a waste of taxpayer money to pay a permanent salary to Trump as ex president.

9. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 15 Times in 15 Posts

Are you really this clueless?
    Impossible to answer since you don't provide any specifics.

10. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Incorrect. But I'm not surprised that you know so little

No. No they cannot
    If you ever get around to letting us know why I am incorrect we will respond.

It appears you don't know why and are just trolling though.

11. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,739 Times in 14,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Impossible to answer since you don't provide any specifics.
    About what? Everything you stated is nonsense.

'debunked' as you and BBob would say at the other place
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    If you ever get around to letting us know why I am incorrect we will respond.

It appears you don't know why and are just trolling though.
    You're going on ignore very soon anyway. You're too stupid to take the 5 minutes necessary to check your facts before you post. Everything you've claimed in this thread is sheer stupidity, and shows that you don't belong in these big discussions.

Who is 'we'? Are you schizophrenic?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Walt,

It would be a waste of taxpayer money to pay a permanent salary to Trump as ex president.
    There are quite a few post presidential perks that trump can be stripped of.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-18-2021)

15. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Trump won't be in office by the time it goes to the Senate. How do you use a process intended to "REMOVE" someone from office when they no longer occupy it?

Come on dimwits. This isn't rocket science. The Party of the Jackass are making a mockery of the process to score political points with low information dumbasses and you tools are falling for it.
    I realize that but I am just repeating what the law says which is that a president cannot be removed from office once he is impeached until the conclusion of a senate trial.

It mentions nothing about a term expiring so it would be a Supreme court decision.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-19-2021)

17. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Althea.

There are quite a few post presidential perks that trump can be stripped of.
    I wonder if ex presidents still get all the intelligence.

And do they retain a security clearance?

Yes, if so, take those things away.