1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. OTOH, even saying "more racial fairness" is, IMHO, flawed. Why not just say "Shaping society to be fair to all"?

Our nation is best served when every citizen's potential is maximized and accepted for the betterment of all. Race, gender, sexual preferences and religion, to name a few, don't matter since they irrelevant to the larger picture of a stronger, more fair society which places as much importance on the individual as it does society as a whole.
    Sounds perfect to me. Sounds like the level of social awareness epitomized in the original star trek, where by that time in the future, racism had been completely conquered, had become a thing of the past.

And that concept was pretty remarkable for a 1960's TV show.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-18-2021)

3. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,617 Times in 51,912 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

Sounds perfect to me. Sounds like the level of social awareness epitomized in the original star trek, where by that time in the future, racism had been completely conquered, had become a thing of the past.

And that concept was pretty remarkable for a 1960's TV show.
    Agreed. Like with Star Trek and the commercials, I think they reflect changes in society. That the "norm" of the social needle is moving toward not to just more tolerance, but to embraced acceptance.

Robin Williams starred in a 1992 movie titled "Toys". I think it's highly underrated at 5.1 on IMDB and worth more of a 7. Besides the main story, one thing that made the movie remarkable at the time was the casting; Irish-English actor Michael Gambon played the evil General Zevo and LL Cool J played his special ops trained son Patrick. No mention was ever made in the movie about race or how the General had a rapper for a son.

Then there's the South Park episode about their flag: Chief goes Nanners

https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/South_Park_Flag

The main point is that everyone should be treated equally under the law. This should be more emphasized in schools. Making special rules for special people only serves to divide Americans into special and not special.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,761 Times in 33,627 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RomanDmowski View Post
    My friend has autism & a 63 IQ & seems smarter than Dutch.

My friend thinks things should be made with quality again by the USA instead of Chinese junk.
    Your friend? hmmmmm...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-18-2021), Hermes Thoth (01-18-2021)

6. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Your friend? hmmmmm...
    Oookay, classmate.

7. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oookay, classmate.
    More like his looking in the mirror.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-18-2021)

9. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Witold already admitted he spends lot of time looking at himself in the mirror. Any wonders what else he does in front of the mirror?

10. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

star trek- merely a futurized version of white male patriarchal fascistic imperialism, complete with misogynist interracial kink factor, uhura, and antisemitic dogwhistle trope, spock... on and on ....

11. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Witold already admitted he spends lot of time looking at himself in the mirror. Any wonders what else he does in front of the mirror?
    Eeeewwww, I’m not going there. Now I need to look at kitty videos

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-18-2021)

13. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Eeeewwww, I’m not going there. Now I need to look at kitty videos
    I'm certain the kitty videos won't make you retch in comparison.

14. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    star trek- merely a futurized version of white male patriarchal fascistic imperialism, complete with misogynist interracial kink factor, uhura, and antisemitic dogwhistle trope, spock... on and on ....
    It was on television years before your dad and mom conceived you at a drunken Prom party.

Like the ideas of our Founders, it imagined a future world where no human goes without basic needs. This, IMO, requires two things: Unlimited energy and unlimited resources. Fusion can create all forms of materials, a 3D printer can print it be it food, gold parts or diamond tipped drill bits.

15. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

It was on television years before your dad and mom conceived you at a drunken Prom party.
    holy shit. sucker punched. I havent even had my coffee.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hermes Thoth For This Post:

Minister of Truth (02-07-2021)

17. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    holy shit. sucker punched. I havent even had my coffee.
    It has the humor of being true.

Even so, it was ahead of its time which is why it has endured so well. Americans want that dream. You're too young, but most of the technology in Star Trek didn't exist at the time of the show: automatic doors, communicators (cellphones), beam weapons, etc.

The last show of the original series aired 3 June 1969. Mankind landed on the Moon a month later on 20 July 1969.

I'm surprised you are against a society where everyone can sit around,smoke pot and play their guitar without worrying about paying the bills or starving.

18. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

You Western Europeans don't realize how dumb you are as a people.

19. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Agreed. Like with Star Trek and the commercials, I think they reflect changes in society. That the "norm" of the social needle is moving toward not to just more tolerance, but to embraced acceptance.

Robin Williams starred in a 1992 movie titled "Toys". I think it's highly underrated at 5.1 on IMDB and worth more of a 7. Besides the main story, one thing that made the movie remarkable at the time was the casting; Irish-English actor Michael Gambon played the evil General Zevo and LL Cool J played his special ops trained son Patrick. No mention was ever made in the movie about race or how the General had a rapper for a son.

Then there's the South Park episode about their flag: Chief goes Nanners

https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/South_Park_Flag

The main point is that everyone should be treated equally under the law. This should be more emphasized in schools. Making special rules for special people only serves to divide Americans into special and not special.
    I agree with everything you said except the part about special rules for special people. Some people do have special needs. It is appropriate to have special rules for special people. We don't tell the handicapped they are being treated equal so they don't need special parking and/or access requirements.

Lots of people have special needs. If somebody had a bad upbringing and they simply lack the ability to function as a productive member of society, I have zero problem with providing for their needs. If a family lacks the ability to function as self-supporting members of society, it is appropriate to try to intervene and find a way to break the cross-generational poverty cycle. That would be an example of society doing itself a favor. If that is not done then it is like asking for the problem to be perpetuated and expanded. We should try to reduce poverty and seek the goal of eliminating it. If we try a policy that doesn't work, then we simply need to try something else until we find a method that does work.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-18-2021)

21. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

I agree with everything you said except the part about special rules for special people. Some people do have special needs. It is appropriate to have special rules for special people. We don't tell the handicapped they are being treated equal so they don't need special parking and/or access requirements.

Lots of people have special needs. If somebody had a bad upbringing and they simply lack the ability to function as a productive member of society, I have zero problem with providing for their needs. If a family lacks the ability to function as self-supporting members of society, it is appropriate to try to intervene and find a way to break the cross-generational poverty cycle. That would be an example of society doing itself a favor. If that is not done then it is like asking for the problem to be perpetuated and expanded. We should try to reduce poverty and seek the goal of eliminating it. If we try a policy that doesn't work, then we simply need to try something else until we find a method that does work.
    Special needs are one thing. Do you think every person's "special needs" should be determined by a color strip? I don't.

“Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members.” -- Pearl Buck