Members banned from this thread: evince, christiefan915, ThatOwlWoman, Guno צְבִי and LV426

Thread: FBI arrest dangerous extremist YPG member in FL

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Default FBI arrest dangerous extremist YPG member in FL

Over the summer, he traveled to protests across the country, according to court records. In Seattle, he joined the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone and the Capitol Hill Organized Protest, known as the CHOP/CHAZ movement.
    Federal court documents say Baker threatened to “slay” people from the political right if a “coup” were attempted during the general election.

“Multiple overseas sources reported that Baker stated he intended to return to the United States with the intention to lure Turkish pilots training on United States military bases off the installation, after which he would kill or mutilate them in furtherance of helping the YPG fight the Turkish government,” court documents allege.

Daniel Baker, suspect in Florida Capitol threats, described as 'model tenant' by landlord
    “...Like something out of the movies,” a neighbor said of Baker's arrest.
    Jeff Burlew
    Tallahassee Democrat
    Jan. 16, 2021

The landlord of a Tallahassee man accused by federal authorities of trying to incite violence against protesters at Florida’s Capitol said he seemed like anything but a violent extremist.
    A video posted to YouTube by Daniel Baker describes "My first battle against isis in Syria, I killed many terrorists, rescued 3 VICE news reporters and saved 2 wounded friends."

“He’s a model tenant,” said Susanna Matthews, who owns the High Road building where Daniel Baker has lived since October. “He was a joy, very intelligent, very well-read and well-spoken. Considerate of the others who live here, quiet, well-behaved, paid his rent on time. What else can I say?”

More:FBI arrests former U.S. soldier in alleged plot to carry out violence at Florida Capitol

Matthews, who is 80 and blind, was stunned when FBI agents with guns drawn descended Friday morning on the brick apartment building her parents built in the 1960s. She was in her office, right next door to Baker’s apartment, when agents arrived around 8:30 a.m.

A man knocked on her door saying there was a delivery. Matthews cracked her door open but got startled and slammed it shut, prompting the man to shout “FBI!” So unsure what was happening, she called 911 four times.

“The FBI scared the hell out of me,” she said. “It seems like a strange way to run a railroad. I guess everybody’s on high alert.”

She said Baker was home at the time with his roommate. They both went outside with FBI agents before Baker was taken away.

“Apparently it ended pretty amicably,” Matthews said. “I heard them out there laughing and joking — both the tenants and the FBI people.”

Matthews described Baker as a kind and conscientious man: “This is all very shocking,” she said.

“After everybody left, the roommate was very calm and said (Baker) had apparently been on the internet and said something that caught their attention.”

The FBI arrested Baker, 33, on a single charge involving the transmission of a threat to kidnap or injure another person, the U.S. Attorney’s Office announced after the criminal complaint was unsealed at the U.S. Courthouse in Tallahassee.

His arrest happened as federal, state and local law enforcement agencies prepare for potential violence at Florida's Capitol amid FBI warnings of possible attacks on statehouses across the country. On Friday, after Baker's arrest, Gov. Ron DeSantis activated the Florida National Guard to help protect the Capitol.

Prosecutors: Baker issued 'call to arms'

Federal prosecutors allege Baker — incensed over the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol — issued a call to arms on social media for a violent attack on protesters he expected to appear Sunday at the Florida Capitol.

On Thursday, he posted a video on YouTube of a flier calling for an attack on “armed racists” who threatened violence at all 50 state capitol buildings in the U.S.

“We will protect Capitol RESIDENTS an CIVILIANS from armed racist mobs with EVERY CALIBER AVAILABLE,” the flier said. “This is an armed coup and can only be stopped by an armed community.”

More:Read criminal complaint in Tallahassee man's plot against Florida Capitol | Document

Baker posed with a variety of firearms in YouTube videos, including some with high-capacity magazines, and his social media posts showed he was trying to buy additional guns in the days before his arrest.

“Daniel Baker’s actions show that he is a dangerous extremist, and the law-abiding public is safer now that he has been arrested,” said Lawrence Keefe, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Florida, in a press release.

Matthews said she has no idea whether the allegations against him are true. But she said Baker never talked about perpetrating political violence.

“The only thing I can say based on my experience with him is he was probably expressing his concerns because that’s the kind of person he is," she said. "He may not have been doing it appropriately, and I’m not the one to judge that. But I’m sure he was concerned about the safety and well-being of this community.”
    Landlord: Baker was mild-mannered

Baker appears to have led something of a nomadic life. He joined the Army in 2006 but was kicked out a year later for going AWOL ahead of a deployment to Iraq. He was homeless and unemployed for years, living mostly in Tallahassee and working from time to time as a security guard, according to court records.

In 2017, he joined the People’s Protection Units (YPG), a group with terrorist ties fighting in Syria against ISIS and the Turkish government, prosecutors said. He showed up in a documentary film fighting militants overseas and claimed to be a trained sniper.

Matthews said Baker told her he volunteered overseas as a medic but had to return stateside because of the coronavirus pandemic. He hoped to return to Syria once the pandemic subsided.

“It sounded like he was fighting with or volunteering with or helping out the Kurds,” she said. “And it was their way of life and their basic community, loyalty and sticking together that he had been so impressed with. And that’s what we talked about.”

Matthews said he and his roommate, a buddy who works as an artist, moved into her building in October. He lived in Nashville for a time before coming back to North Florida around August.

She got glowing recommendations from past landlords and his employer. He worked nights as a security guard at an apartment complex off Ocala Road and took online emergency medical worker classes.

He helped her bring in groceries and take out the trash, she said. He volunteered for the homeless and other causes, taught Yoga and appeared mild-mannered.

“I’ve had other people talk about all these conspiracy things and all that rabid stuff,” she said. “But he never did.”

Over the summer, he traveled to protests across the country, according to court records. In Seattle, he joined the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone and the Capitol Hill Organized Protest, known as the CHOP/CHAZ movement.
    'Like something out of the movies'

Federal court documents say Baker threatened to “slay” people from the political right if a “coup” were attempted during the general election. Later, he expressed fears President Donald Trump would try to cling to power despite his defeat.

“It’s time for some of you to wake up and realize trump is going to put up a fight,” he wrote in a Dec. 12 social media post. “Some of your neighbors will shoot at you.”

In interviews with the FBI, Baker admitted to training members who attended the YPG international academy on military and defensive tactics.

“Multiple overseas sources reported that Baker stated he intended to return to the United States with the intention to lure Turkish pilots training on United States military bases off the installation, after which he would kill or mutilate them in furtherance of helping the YPG fight the Turkish government,” court documents allege.

Baker has no apparent history of arrests in Tallahassee. His voter registration history in Florida shows he changed party loyalties several times over the years.

He registered as a Republican in 2006 in Palm Beach County and joined the Green Party two years later. He registered in Leon County in 2014 and switched to "no party affiliation" two years after that. Last February, he became a Democrat.

There was little sign of his arrest at his building Saturday morning. A card with a note from the Federal Public Defender’s Office was left tucked into the side of his damaged front door. “Please call me about Daniel Baker,” it said.

Matthews said the FBI promised to pay for the door repairs. And while she couldn’t see the armed agents arrive at her door and arrest Baker, she said another tenant watched it all unfold.

“She said it was like something out of the movies,” Matthews said.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...rd/4148815001/
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Federal court documents say Baker threatened to “slay” people from the political right if a “coup” were attempted during the general election.

Daniel Baker, suspect in Florida Capitol threats, described as 'model tenant' by landlord
    “...Like something out of the movies,” a neighbor said of Baker's arrest.
    Jeff Burlew
    Tallahassee Democrat
    Jan. 16, 2021

The landlord of a Tallahassee man accused by federal authorities of trying to incite violence against protesters at Florida’s Capitol said he seemed like anything but a violent extremist.
    A video posted to YouTube by Daniel Baker describes "My first battle against isis in Syria, I killed many terrorists, rescued 3 VICE news reporters and saved 2 wounded friends."

“He’s a model tenant,” said Susanna Matthews, who owns the High Road building where Daniel Baker has lived since October. “He was a joy, very intelligent, very well-read and well-spoken. Considerate of the others who live here, quiet, well-behaved, paid his rent on time. What else can I say?”

More:FBI arrests former U.S. soldier in alleged plot to carry out violence at Florida Capitol

Matthews, who is 80 and blind, was stunned when FBI agents with guns drawn descended Friday morning on the brick apartment building her parents built in the 1960s. She was in her office, right next door to Baker’s apartment, when agents arrived around 8:30 a.m.

A man knocked on her door saying there was a delivery. Matthews cracked her door open but got startled and slammed it shut, prompting the man to shout “FBI!” So unsure what was happening, she called 911 four times.

“The FBI scared the hell out of me,” she said. “It seems like a strange way to run a railroad. I guess everybody’s on high alert.”

She said Baker was home at the time with his roommate. They both went outside with FBI agents before Baker was taken away.

“Apparently it ended pretty amicably,” Matthews said. “I heard them out there laughing and joking — both the tenants and the FBI people.”

Matthews described Baker as a kind and conscientious man: “This is all very shocking,” she said.

“After everybody left, the roommate was very calm and said (Baker) had apparently been on the internet and said something that caught their attention.”

The FBI arrested Baker, 33, on a single charge involving the transmission of a threat to kidnap or injure another person, the U.S. Attorney’s Office announced after the criminal complaint was unsealed at the U.S. Courthouse in Tallahassee.

His arrest happened as federal, state and local law enforcement agencies prepare for potential violence at Florida's Capitol amid FBI warnings of possible attacks on statehouses across the country. On Friday, after Baker's arrest, Gov. Ron DeSantis activated the Florida National Guard to help protect the Capitol.

Prosecutors: Baker issued 'call to arms'

Federal prosecutors allege Baker — incensed over the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol — issued a call to arms on social media for a violent attack on protesters he expected to appear Sunday at the Florida Capitol.

On Thursday, he posted a video on YouTube of a flier calling for an attack on “armed racists” who threatened violence at all 50 state capitol buildings in the U.S.

“We will protect Capitol RESIDENTS an CIVILIANS from armed racist mobs with EVERY CALIBER AVAILABLE,” the flier said. “This is an armed coup and can only be stopped by an armed community.”

More:Read criminal complaint in Tallahassee man's plot against Florida Capitol | Document

Baker posed with a variety of firearms in YouTube videos, including some with high-capacity magazines, and his social media posts showed he was trying to buy additional guns in the days before his arrest.

“Daniel Baker’s actions show that he is a dangerous extremist, and the law-abiding public is safer now that he has been arrested,” said Lawrence Keefe, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Florida, in a press release.

Matthews said she has no idea whether the allegations against him are true. But she said Baker never talked about perpetrating political violence.

“The only thing I can say based on my experience with him is he was probably expressing his concerns because that’s the kind of person he is," she said. "He may not have been doing it appropriately, and I’m not the one to judge that. But I’m sure he was concerned about the safety and well-being of this community.”
    Landlord: Baker was mild-mannered

Baker appears to have led something of a nomadic life. He joined the Army in 2006 but was kicked out a year later for going AWOL ahead of a deployment to Iraq. He was homeless and unemployed for years, living mostly in Tallahassee and working from time to time as a security guard, according to court records.

In 2017, he joined the People’s Protection Units (YPG), a group with terrorist ties fighting in Syria against ISIS and the Turkish government, prosecutors said. He showed up in a documentary film fighting militants overseas and claimed to be a trained sniper.

Matthews said Baker told her he volunteered overseas as a medic but had to return stateside because of the coronavirus pandemic. He hoped to return to Syria once the pandemic subsided.

“It sounded like he was fighting with or volunteering with or helping out the Kurds,” she said. “And it was their way of life and their basic community, loyalty and sticking together that he had been so impressed with. And that’s what we talked about.”

Matthews said he and his roommate, a buddy who works as an artist, moved into her building in October. He lived in Nashville for a time before coming back to North Florida around August.

She got glowing recommendations from past landlords and his employer. He worked nights as a security guard at an apartment complex off Ocala Road and took online emergency medical worker classes.

He helped her bring in groceries and take out the trash, she said. He volunteered for the homeless and other causes, taught Yoga and appeared mild-mannered.

“I’ve had other people talk about all these conspiracy things and all that rabid stuff,” she said. “But he never did.”

'Like something out of the movies'

Federal court documents say Baker threatened to “slay” people from the political right if a “coup” were attempted during the general election. Later, he expressed fears President Donald Trump would try to cling to power despite his defeat.

“It’s time for some of you to wake up and realize trump is going to put up a fight,” he wrote in a Dec. 12 social media post. “Some of your neighbors will shoot at you.”

In interviews with the FBI, Baker admitted to training members who attended the YPG international academy on military and defensive tactics.

Baker has no apparent history of arrests in Tallahassee. His voter registration history in Florida shows he changed party loyalties several times over the years.

He registered as a Republican in 2006 in Palm Beach County and joined the Green Party two years later. He registered in Leon County in 2014 and switched to "no party affiliation" two years after that. Last February, he became a Democrat.

There was little sign of his arrest at his building Saturday morning. A card with a note from the Federal Public Defender’s Office was left tucked into the side of his damaged front door. “Please call me about Daniel Baker,” it said.

Matthews said the FBI promised to pay for the door repairs. And while she couldn’t see the armed agents arrive at her door and arrest Baker, she said another tenant watched it all unfold.

“She said it was like something out of the movies,” Matthews said.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...rd/4148815001/
    Nice try at an attempt to defect and distract who the real domestic terrorists are.
    Lock Him Up

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Wtf is this? Peshmurga are not bad people. STFU.. I've seen a lot of live video of Peshmurga laying down fire to suppress terrorists so Syrian Army can rescue people.
    I saw a Syrian army guy get his leg damn near blown off rescuing a family when ISIS had boobytrapped a house. With heavy fire support from Peshmurga.
    They were running OPs like that daily.
    That's why ISIS is no more, and Erdogan is a walking peckerhead that the US has zero business being affiliated with.
    PS: All the nukes that were in Turkey are now in Romania, and FUCK Erdogan, that piece of shit.
    The US is beholding to Erdogan no longer.. fuck him!
    Why is he messing around in Syrian territory? Greed? He can't even govern his own fucking country, what a fucking douchenozzle.
    https://www.trtworld.com/video/news-...736a1f528ae1d3
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 01-16-2021 at 06:20 PM.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Nice try at an attempt to defect and distract who the real domestic terrorists are.
    Nice try at digesting the entire story with a relevant comment in 4 minutes.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good riddance.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

What’s the point?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 15 Times in 15 Posts

A true hero of the left.

At least we know who Beijing's first pardon will be.

They can't keep true Patriots locked up you know.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    A true hero of the left.

At least we know who Beijing's first pardon will be.

They can't keep true Patriots locked up you know.
    They can't even begin to lock all the Patriots up.

A) Civil War
    B) Nobody to pay taxes so leeches can leech off of them and have cucumber finger sandwiches with the crust cut off catered for brunch. :/