Thread: $15 minimum wage plan is 'going to destroy the hospitality industry'

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    And it will be much harder on Red States than Blue States...which is huge part of the point.

THose who supported Trump must be hurt!
    Strange, since Florida just voted to raise their minimum wage to $15, guess they don't agree with your panic.

2. The Following User Groans At CASPER For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-15-2021)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    You really are an ignorant peasant, it's plain that you've never run a business.
    Maybe his mouth is his "business enterprise".

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Maybe his mouth is his "business enterprise".
    I was going to say that, it was on the tip of my tongue,!

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was going to say that, it was on the tip of my tongue,!
    I doubt that Nerdberg could run for a bus.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
    Strange, since Florida just voted to raise their minimum wage to $15, guess they don't agree with your panic.
    It's not as simple as that, here is the real story!

Florida's state minimum wage rate is $8.65 per hour. This is greater than the Federal Minimum Wage of $7.25. You are entitled to be paid the higher state minimum wage. The minimum wage applies to most employees in Florida, with limited exceptions including tipped employees, some student workers, and other exempt occupations.†

The Florida minimum wage was last changed in 2008, when it was raised $1.86 from $6.79 to $8.65. Florida's minimum wage rate is linked to a Consumer Price Index, which is intended to raise the rate along with inflation. The current minimum wage rate is re-evaluated yearly based on these values.

The current minimum wage in Florida is $8.65 per hour. The tipped wage is $5.63 per hour. A voter passed initiative in November 2020 will gradually increase the minimum wage rate to $15.00 per hour. Florida's state minimum wage rate is $8.65 per hour. This is greater than the Federal Minimum Wage of $7.25. You are entitled to be paid the higher state minimum wage. The minimum wage applies to most employees in Florida, with limited exceptions including tipped employees, some student workers, and other exempt occupations.†

The Florida minimum wage was last changed in 2008, when it was raised $1.86 from $6.79 to $8.65. Florida's minimum wage rate is linked to a Consumer Price Index, which is intended to raise the rate along with inflation. The current minimum wage rate is re-evaluated yearly based on these values.

The current minimum wage in Florida is $8.65 per hour. The tipped wage is $5.63 per hour. A voter passed initiative in November 2020 will gradually increase the minimum wage rate to $15.00 per hour. The next increase to $10.00 is planned for September 2021. Florida's minimum wage rate is modified annually based upon an inflation and cost of living formula. The Florida minimum wage was raised to $8.05 per hour on January 1 2015 and remained the same for 2016. The Florida minimum wage was $7.93 per hour in 2014, $7.79 per hour in 2013, and $7.67 per hour in 2012. Due to the inflation and cost of living formula used, a minimum wage increase did not occur in January 2016.

Florida employers may not pay you under $8.65 per hour unless you or your occupation are specifically exempt from the minimum wage under state or federal law. Florida's minimum wage rate is modified annually based upon an inflation and cost of living formula. The Florida minimum wage was raised to $8.05 per hour on January 1 2015 and remained the same for 2016. The Florida minimum wage was $7.93 per hour in 2014, $7.79 per hour in 2013, and $7.67 per hour in 2012. Due to the inflation and cost of living formula used, a minimum wage increase did not occur in January 2016.

Florida employers may not pay you under $8.65 per hour unless you or your occupation are specifically exempt from the minimum wage under state or federal law.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 01-15-2021 at 11:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

dukkha (01-15-2021)

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

You really are an ignorant peasant, it's plain that you've never run a business.
    The call of the economically illiterate: They'll just raise their prices!
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-15-2021)

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 148 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not as simple as that, here is the real story!

I never said it was going to occur over night or even apply to all at the same level, but they are moving in the right direction.
    Heck if we only took in the impact of inflation we would update the minimum wage ever few years, as it has worked (not) those making $10 per hour today make less than those that made the same 5 years ago. So we either freeze the costs of everything, which would and could not ever happen, leaving only one choice raising the minimum wage periodically.

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
    I never said it was going to occur over night or even apply to all at the same level, but they are moving in the right direction.
    Heck if we only took in the impact of inflation we would update the minimum wage ever few years, as it has worked (not) those making $10 per hour today make less than those that made the same 5 years ago. So we either freeze the costs of everything, which would and could not ever happen, leaving only one choice raising the minimum wage periodically.
    Your sin was one of omission not commission.

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-descri...ission?share=1

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Did I see correctly that Florida just passed a $15 statewide minimum wage? Have to imagine in a lower cost state like that you'll feel the affects.

It's interesting, we have one of the highest minimum wages in the country in SF and restaurants feel the affects. What's strikes me is you'll hear these restaurant owners interviewed and you can tell they are likely politically liberal so they want to support the higher minimum wage, but then acknowledge how much it has hurt them.
    Florida dd, but I think that doesnt include places where tipping is done.
    Servers dont even make the minimum wage in some places because of tips

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,297 Times in 13,423 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

I'm in Thailand and tipping in restaurants where farang aka foreigners go is fairly common. It is discretionary but many do it because the poor buggers get paid piss poor money to be honest. I hasten to add that Thais don't usually tip for service.
    Thailand and the Philippines are two exceptions I'd say. Both rely heavily on tourism and have large American ex-pat populations. So, it would be normal for some American customs to rub off and stick there.

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,297 Times in 13,423 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

The likely outcome from a nationwide $15 an hour minimum wage I could forecast would be:

A serious decline in fast food restaurants. These simply could no longer compete with their sit down cousins. Why pay say $12 for a burger, fires, and drink when you can get a much better meal at a sit down place for $13? The McDonald's model of being cheap, fast, and consistent breaks down when it becomes as expensive as a sit down prepared meal that is almost as fast and served in much nicer conditions.

The only way the McDonald's model survives is by automation. You eliminate the counter staff and have a kiosk like an ATM take your order. Then you start automating the kitchen to eliminate workers there.

The same goes for all sorts of low end labor jobs. These either become "under the table" to avoid taxes and such so the worker gets paid say, $10 an hour cash but without the taxes and whatnot that's more than $15 on the books, or the job gets automated.

In say, 1960, such a raise in the minimum wage would have forced employers to eat the cost and meet the new wage. Today, with the electronics age reaching a point where automation is possible on a wide range of jobs, raising worker's wages above the value of their work gets them replaced by a computer. It may not happen overnight, but it will happen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

dukkha (01-16-2021)

16. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The likely outcome from a nationwide $15 an hour minimum wage I could forecast would be:

A serious decline in fast food restaurants. These simply could no longer compete with their sit down cousins. Why pay say $12 for a burger, fires, and drink when you can get a much better meal at a sit down place for $13? The McDonald's model of being cheap, fast, and consistent breaks down when it becomes as expensive as a sit down prepared meal that is almost as fast and served in much nicer conditions.

The only way the McDonald's model survives is by automation. You eliminate the counter staff and have a kiosk like an ATM take your order. Then you start automating the kitchen to eliminate workers there.

The same goes for all sorts of low end labor jobs. These either become "under the table" to avoid taxes and such so the worker gets paid say, $10 an hour cash but without the taxes and whatnot that's more than $15 on the books, or the job gets automated.

In say, 1960, such a raise in the minimum wage would have forced employers to eat the cost and meet the new wage. Today, with the electronics age reaching a point where automation is possible on a wide range of jobs, raising worker's wages above the value of their work gets them replaced by a computer. It may not happen overnight, but it will happen.
    yep, automation is already killing fast food jobs the robotics are there, it's just the investment is too much for some.

$15/hour means labor costs force automation -and not just fast food

17. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Yeah, the maintenance on the kiosks will be dirt cheap. Or maybe not.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

18. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

All indications are that going out to eat is going to become a specialty thing, not a four night a week thing as it has long been, because of prices and the plunging standard of living of America, brought on by mismanagement on a criminal scale.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was reading that something over 40% of hotels and motels are in grave risk of bankruptcy because of COVID mismanagement ...THIS IS PERFECT!
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!