Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $15 minimum wage plan is 'going to destroy the hospitality industry'

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    Business owners in other developed nations can run restaurants in nations with generous minimum wages. Maybe we should bring in some Norwegian restaurant owners to manage these businesses American restaurant owners claim they cannot afford to run
    Is that so?

Norway is yet another northern nation that has eschewed a federally mandated minimum wage in favor of having union-negotiated wages set by industry.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/080515/5-developed-countries-without-minimum-wages.asp

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I actually agree with the point that a one size fits all is not the best. But if local power does not take care of shit that’s what happens. So pass god damn increases in minimum wage or we will destroy you for your greed. Just fucking pay a higher wage to the low earners assholes. Be good or we will make you. Get me yet!

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    And it will be much harder on Red States than Blue States...which is huge part of the point.

THose who supported Trump must be hurt!
    Except this battle over the minimum wage has been going on well before Trump. What's interesting is Florida voted to pass a $15 minimum wage in November. This is a state that voted for Trump and pretty red overall.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,030 Times in 12,560 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Except this battle over the minimum wage has been going on well before Trump. What's interesting is Florida voted to pass a $15 minimum wage in November. This is a state that voted for Trump and pretty red overall.
    The lefts desire to hurt red states is nothing new, it is the major reason red states and red portions of blue states have long been in decline economically.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Pay more to the working poor assholes, or I’ll make you

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    So you have no basis for your statement, as I suspected.
    I am not so cheap as you imagine.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mcslobber View Post
    Pay more to the working poor assholes, or I’ll make you
    Is that so?

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The lefts desire to hurt red states is nothing new, it is the major reason red states and red portions of blue states have long been in decline economically.
    I was unaware that "red states and red portions of blue states have long been in decline economically".

Got a source for that?

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Unemployed like legion just need free money because he was abused from youth because he is deformed unemployable gremlin.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    John Horne, who owns Anna Maria's Oyster Bars, a small group of restaurants in the Bradenton area, said that his waitstaff already makes close to $30 per hour through a combination of wage and tip credits.

"I mean, obviously getting the money to people is helping us, but this minimum wage [hike] is absolutely going to destroy the hospitality industry in Florida and across the nation," Horne told host Martha MacCallum.

"They are trying to paint with a broad brush the entire nation," he added. "They are trying to say what's good in Alexandria, Va. is good in Alexandria, Tenn. We can't do that."

Horne added that if the minimum wage increase becomes law, and "if we raise everyone to $15 and we don't take into consideration tip credits, then we are going to basically give everybody a pay cut of 50% ... because they will go from $30 an hour to $15 an hour."

Using one of his locations as an example, Horne predicted a $15 minimum wage on top of tip credits would increase hist annual payroll by $500,000 or 17% of his annual sales, revenue he doesn't have to spare.

"I will have to raise prices. That will drive our seniors in Florida away," he explained. "They are not getting the raises. My dad's Social Security went up 1.9%. He got a $34 a month raise this year. That's not going to help."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In addition, Horne said, Biden is also not taking into account high school students working part-time or starting their first job.

"If we don't take into consideration teen wages, training wages, and tipped credit, we're just going to shoot ourselves in the foot. So we need to take our time with this," he said. "I'm already paying my kitchen staff over $15 an hour now because that's what my market bears. So it's already taking care of itself." https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-r...ality-industry
    the increased wage will affect a lot of industry's that hire entry level people with low skills, it will cause costs to go up and result in more expensive products across the board , effecting the entire population.

while at first you will see some benefit to low earners it will be quickly off set by higher costs of products and less jobs also it may cause more jobs to leave America for cheaper production costs and labor costs.

this will also have effects on those on fixed incomes such as Social security recipients , SSDI , SSI and welfare recipients and those living on retirements , they will be paying more with little to no increase in income.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulletbob For This Post:

dukkha (01-15-2021)

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was unaware that "red states and red portions of blue states have long been in decline economically".

Got a source for that?
    You and I dont have a teaching contract mate.

Your education was always your problem.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    In most countries--well, in almost all--the concept of tipping for service is not practiced or it is automatically tacked on to the bill. In most of Europe the tip is included in the VAT on the bill. Middle East and Asia tipping is unknown. It isn't done.
    I've actually seen myself US military personnel in Bahrain (where I was stationed for a time) leave a tip only to have the employee stop them to return the money thinking they'd forgotten their change at the table.

So, if it becomes prohibitively expensive here (and it is) it will likely die off as a social custom.
    I'm in Thailand and tipping in restaurants where farang aka foreigners go is fairly common. It is discretionary but many do it because the poor buggers get paid piss poor money to be honest. I hasten to add that Thais don't usually tip for service.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 01-15-2021 at 09:43 PM.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You and I dont have a teaching contract mate. Your education was always your problem.
    So you don't have a source to confirm your statement that "red states and red portions of blue states have long been in decline economically".

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's already been destroyed by the lockdowns.
    Yes that's very true, many restaurants are totally screwed and won't reopen.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    I'm in Thailand and tipping in restaurants where farang aka foreigners go is fairly common. It is discretionary but many do it because the poor buggers get paid piss poor money to be honest.
    All the leftists who supposedly "want to help the working poor" have always been able to do it - with their own money.

But they don't want to do that, do they?