Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: $15 minimum wage plan is 'going to destroy the hospitality industry'

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,926 Times in 13,193 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I dont know exactly what you are getting at but I do agree (if this is what you are saying) that the Koreans have a hard edge to them that never goes away, and that with the Mexicans it is different. If you want someone who will give you the shirt off his back than you look for a Mexican, not a Korean.
    Yep. Asians have more of a What's in it for me, this is just business sort of attitude.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    It's just for beer money and to keep busy. I don't need it to pay bills or anything. It's also the Buddhist thing to do.
    This is interesting...I mean that.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep. Asians have more of a What's in it for me, this is just business sort of attitude.
    But too believers in "Tough Love".
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    I'm in Thailand and tipping in restaurants where farang aka foreigners go is fairly common. It is discretionary but many do it because the poor buggers get paid piss poor money to be honest. I hasten to add that Thais don't usually tip for service.
    Do you think that Thais like the fact that you tip?

I dont know, but I have reason to suspect that they dont....that no wants this to become the norm.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    John Horne, who owns Anna Maria's Oyster Bars, a small group of restaurants in the Bradenton area, said that his waitstaff already makes close to $30 per hour through a combination of wage and tip credits.

"I mean, obviously getting the money to people is helping us, but this minimum wage [hike] is absolutely going to destroy the hospitality industry in Florida and across the nation," Horne told host Martha MacCallum.

"They are trying to paint with a broad brush the entire nation," he added. "They are trying to say what's good in Alexandria, Va. is good in Alexandria, Tenn. We can't do that."

Horne added that if the minimum wage increase becomes law, and "if we raise everyone to $15 and we don't take into consideration tip credits, then we are going to basically give everybody a pay cut of 50% ... because they will go from $30 an hour to $15 an hour."

Using one of his locations as an example, Horne predicted a $15 minimum wage on top of tip credits would increase hist annual payroll by $500,000 or 17% of his annual sales, revenue he doesn't have to spare.

"I will have to raise prices. That will drive our seniors in Florida away," he explained. "They are not getting the raises. My dad's Social Security went up 1.9%. He got a $34 a month raise this year. That's not going to help."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In addition, Horne said, Biden is also not taking into account high school students working part-time or starting their first job.

"If we don't take into consideration teen wages, training wages, and tipped credit, we're just going to shoot ourselves in the foot. So we need to take our time with this," he said. "I'm already paying my kitchen staff over $15 an hour now because that's what my market bears. So it's already taking care of itself." https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-r...ality-industry
    I totally missed Biden proposer this nationally. Yeah, it’s asinine. The cost of living is different across the country. A high one size fits all number doesn’t work. I may not agree with with what certain cities and states choose to make their rate, but I agree it should be done at the local and state level so if they decide to raise it then so be it.

But this will hurt lower cost places, no doubt.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I totally missed Biden proposer this nationally. Yeah, it’s asinine. The cost of living is different across the country. A high one size fits all number doesn’t work. I may not agree with with what certain cities and states choose to make their rate, but I agree it should be done at the local and state level so if they decide to raise it then so be it.

it also hurts those n fixed incomes who will be paying more for products/services wit this
    It also will hinder the recovery and job creation

I admit it's seductive - just like Bidens $1400 stimulus.. Since I have 0 confidence in the economy with Bidens tax increases and regs... oh well f* it -gimme my stimulus check

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,926 Times in 13,193 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

It's going to kill business in much of the "fly over states" of the mid West. What is likely to happen is the more savvy ones will simply go around the government rather than cooperate. That is, this will create more black markets.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi cawacko, how have you been? Any new shirtless pics?

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Ah, if it isn't Legion still jerking off. A lot of people might not know this but Legion is the internet's OG incel.

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

In most countries--well, in almost all--the concept of tipping for service is not practiced or it is automatically tacked on to the bill. In most of Europe the tip is included in the VAT on the bill. Middle East and Asia tipping is unknown. It isn't done.
    I've actually seen myself US military personnel in Bahrain (where I was stationed for a time) leave a tip only to have the employee stop them to return the money thinking they'd forgotten their change at the table.

So, if it becomes prohibitively expensive here (and it is) it will likely die off as a social custom.
    Tipping is common enough in the UK, not as ubiquitous as the US though.