Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $15 minimum wage plan is 'going to destroy the hospitality industry'

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,244 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Yeah, the maintenance on the kiosks will be dirt cheap. Or maybe not.
    They'll contract some guy like me to fix them. I'll get paid say $50 an hour to get them working when the fail, but they won't fail often and the fix when you know what you're doing is quick and easy like 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time the kiosk gets replaced because it's cheaper than fixing it.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    They'll contract some guy like me to fix them. I'll get paid say $50 an hour to get them working when the fail, but they won't fail often and the fix when you know what you're doing is quick and easy like 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time the kiosk gets replaced because it's cheaper than fixing it.
    They will fail all the time.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I was reading that something over 40% of hotels and motels are in grave risk of bankruptcy because of COVID mismanagement ...THIS IS PERFECT!
    I predicted this way back last March, look at my signature.

An estimated 61-80,000 Americans died and 800,000 were hospitalised in the 2017-18 flu season, including the most virulent Type A version of H3N2, so why didn't you arseholes call for the total destruction of the world's economic system then? I hope you have plenty of time to ponder over that when you all lose your houses, jobs and relationships!

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

All indications are that going out to eat is going to become a specialty thing, not a four night a week thing as it has long been, because of prices and the plunging standard of living of America, brought on by mismanagement on a criminal scale.
    Eating out, if that's what people want, will become a black market of sorts. One version that already exists is the food truck. The owner and maybe one or two assistants do all the work. There is no building cost because they park in a vacant lot. Overhead is limited to the truck (eg., kitchen). They serve good food without all the overhead. The owner likely pays the assistants under the table, cooking the books to look like he, or she, is the only "employee."

The government gets screwed out of most of the taxes that a normal restaurant would pay and the cost of a meal is reduced back to where it should be as "fast food." If licensing and such is too big a cost, the owner moves times and locations such that he becomes a moving target and difficult or impossible to track down and be forced to pay into that. So what if the massive health code regulations aren't followed to the letter? The guy and his customers are happy with the product as served.

This is the normal way things evolve when there is too much bureaucracy and government control on an industry.
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 01-16-2021 at 01:01 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

anatta (01-16-2021)

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They will fail all the time.
    Nah. They will be as reliable as a PC-type computer, or more so. ATM's are reliable, and they are the exact same thing only with a more limited menu of options.

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,097 Times in 12,624 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eating out, if that's what people want, will become a black market of sorts. One version that already exists is the food truck. The owner and maybe one or two assistants do all the work. There is no building cost because they park in a vacant lot. Overhead is limited to the truck (eg., kitchen). They serve good food without all the overhead. The owner likely pays the assistants under the table, cooking the books to look like he, or she, is the only "employee."

The government gets screwed out of most of the taxes that a normal restaurant would pay and the cost of a meal is reduced back to where it should be as "fast food." If licensing and such is too big a cost, the owner moves times and locations such that he becomes a moving target and difficult or impossible to track down and be forced to pay into that. So what if the massive health code regulations aren't followed to the letter? The guy and his customers are happy with the product as served.

This is the normal way things evolve when there is too much bureaucracy and government control on an industry.
    The teriyaki places here tend to be almost completely illegal, staffed by family off the books and paid or not as revenue allows.... the only thing legal about them is that they pay sales taxes on sales.

The government allows it, they dont give a fuck.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nah. They will be as reliable as a PC-type computer, or more so. ATM's are reliable, and they are the exact same thing only with a more limited menu of options.
    Well then, I guess you ain't making your $50 an hour...are you? Like I believed that to begin with.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The teriyaki places here tend to be almost completely illegal, staffed by family off the books and paid or not as revenue allows.... the only thing legal about them is that they pay sales taxes on sales.

The government allows it, they dont give a fuck.
    In Arizona between food trucks and the taqueria's there are plenty of places that hire under the table or have illegals on the staff. Government gives a minor interest, but they simply can't afford the manpower or effort to police them the way they should be. But they exist in part because of the cost of a meal is too high for most of their customers otherwise.

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In Arizona between food trucks and the taqueria's there are plenty of places that hire under the table or have illegals on the staff. Government gives a minor interest, but they simply can't afford the manpower or effort to police them the way they should be. But they exist in part because of the cost of a meal is too high for most of their customers otherwise.
    It is even better when the labor is family as it is with the Koreans who own the Teriyaki's...Koran families almost never fuck other members of the family....no one is ever going to be found running around complaining, no matter what happens.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well then, I guess you ain't making your $50 an hour...are you? Like I believed that to begin with.
    I used to when I did electrical contracting for a business. Don't now that I'm retired. I'm doing side work for a general contractor right now--just $20 a billable hour. He thinks that's an incredible rate. Just this week I installed security and parking lot lighting at an apartment, re-lamped the laundry room at the same place and did some minor repairs and upgrades to a couple of the units that were being refurbished.

Last year I installed all the conference room equipment for Centuri Group's HQ in Phoenix for another GC. He had me in to do security cameras in the buildings too.

So, you can believe me or not, but I have no reason to lie about this stuff. It won't get me anything here or elsewhere.

12. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I used to when I did electrical contracting for a business. Don't now that I'm retired. I'm doing side work for a general contractor right now--just $20 a billable hour. He thinks that's an incredible rate. Just this week I installed security and parking lot lighting at an apartment, re-lamped the laundry room at the same place and did some minor repairs and upgrades to a couple of the units that were being refurbished.

Last year I installed all the conference room equipment for Centuri Group's HQ in Phoenix for another GC. He had me in to do security cameras in the buildings too.

So, you can believe me or not, but I have no reason to lie about this stuff. It won't get me anything here or elsewhere.
    We weren't talking about what you did before, you said $50 per hour for working on kiosks. I'm calling bullshit on that right now.

13. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Working that cheap is pretty much embarrassing so no, I dont figure you to be lying.

DARK AGES SUCK!

14. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is even better when the labor is family as it is with the Koreans who own the Teriyaki's...Koran families almost never fuck other members of the family....no one is ever going to be found running around complaining, no matter what happens.
    The Hispanics are a bit more friendly. While they'll do a family business like that, they don't ever mess with anyone that treats them well. Got Christmas tamales from a lady at one apartment complex because I showed up PDQ and fixed her elderly Hispanic neighbor lady's stove (the breaker was shot) for her (old Cutler-Hammer panel. PITA to get breakers for). It becomes "Hey, that's the weito (probably spelled that wrong--it's slang for White guy) that takes care of our maintenance. Don't mess with him..." That's how they roll. They quickly start looking out for you because they don't want you to refuse to come back because you got hassled or robbed.

15. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Hispanics are a bit more friendly. While they'll do a family business like that, they don't ever mess with anyone that treats them well. Got Christmas tamales from a lady at one apartment complex because I showed up PDQ and fixed her elderly Hispanic neighbor lady's stove (the breaker was shot) for her (old Cutler-Hammer panel. PITA to get breakers for).
    I dont know exactly what you are getting at but I do agree (if this is what you are saying) that the Koreans have a hard edge to them that never goes away, and that with the Mexicans it is different. If you want someone who will give you the shirt off his back than you look for a Mexican, not a Korean.

DARK AGES SUCK!

16. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Working that cheap is pretty much embarrassing so no, I dont figure you to be lying.
    It's just for beer money and to keep busy. I don't need it to pay bills or anything. It's also the Buddhist thing to do.