Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: America Retreating from Religion

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Those that have doubts are no different than those that flat out deny God.

To God, an atheist and a lukewarm "believer" are no different.

Revelation 3:15-16 - I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

Matthew 10:33 - But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    You are a repellent INCEL racist who has no standing to interpret the bible or speak for Christianity.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Up until the mid to late 19th century, the Catholic Church was the main supporter of science and scientific research on the planet.

Acquiring knowlege of the natural world was considered a way to glorify God and understand his creation..

Catholic universities and Catholic scientists were on the forefront of scholarship and science for a thousand years.

Skeptical inquiry, scholarly reasearch, universities, resurrection of classical Greek logic and reason is directly attributable to Catholic Church.

The world is not black and white, and there was periodic conflict between natural philosophers and church officials. But the concept of a war between science and religion is a social construct which did not exist until the 19th century.

Do you have any information on this guy?

"Epicurus (341 BCE – 270 BCE) was an ancient Greek philosopher, the founder of the Epicurean school in Athens, who taught that "Pleasure is the principle and end to a happy life." He was a prolific writer, amassing 37 volumes, but unfortunately, only fragments and four letters remain. His teachings would influence many who followed such as Lucretius of Rome and his On the Nature of Things, and the Utilitarians Jeremy Bentham and J.S. Mill. "
    https://www.ancient.eu/Epicurus/

Probably not. 'Pleasure' and 'Christianity' don't mix.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Not once did my pastor do such a thing.
    THAT IS GOOD NEWS! Perhaps this was a Texas and Oklahoma thing, but this was the reason my own mother dropped out of church. My family were lifetime members at the First Baptist Church Of Dallas Baptist Church.

Here is a picture of Pastor Robert Jeffress that introduced Donald Trump right in the middle of one of his Sunday Morning Trump rally SERMONS at the First Baptist Church in Dallas during the 2016 Trump Campaign.

And here is a picture or Reverend Robert Jeffress at the Dallas Texas Trump Campaign Rally that happened the night before.

And here is a picture of Reverend Robert Jeffress at the White House with about 50 other Baptist Preachers of large Baptist Metropolitan First Baptist Churches across the nation in 2017.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    freedom of religion is a statute now?......
    Property tax. You missed the entire issue.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are a repellent INCEL racist who has no standing to interpret the bible or speak for Christianity.
    CFM represents every thing Holy and like Trump, was sent here by God himself. JESUS IS LOVE.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Cypress (01-17-2021)

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    that is prevented by the constitution......
    Please cite that, thanks.

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I know our Nation is protected by God when I see these pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    THAT IS GOOD NEWS! Perhaps this was a Texas and Oklahoma thing, but this was the reason my own mother dropped out of church. My family were lifetime members at the First Baptist Church Of Dallas Baptist Church.

Here is a picture of Pastor Robert Jeffress that introduced Donald Trump right in the middle of one of his Sunday Morning Trump rally SERMONS at the First Baptist Church in Dallas during the 2016 Trump Campaign.

And here is a picture or Reverend Robert Jeffress at the Dallas Texas Trump Campaign Rally that happened the night before.

And here is a picture of Reverend Robert Jeffress at the White House with about 50 other Baptist Preachers of large Babtist Metropolitan First Baptist Churches across the nation, just after Donald Trump was elected.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (01-15-2021)

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    So ... what was the beef with Copernicus and Galileo?
    Copernicus was a Polish Catholic canon administrator & beyond the heliocentric model, he founded modern economics like the Quantity Theory of Money & Gresham Law.
    Not to mention he commanded a smaller Polish Catholic army to victory against Germans at the Siege of Allenstein.

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

"During the Age of Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries, many critical thinkers saw religion as antithetical to reason. For them the Middle Ages, or "Age of Faith", was therefore the opposite of the Age of Reason.[30] Baruch Spinoza, Bernard Fontenelle, Kant, Hume, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Denis Diderot, Voltaire, Marquis De Sade and Rousseau were vocal in attacking the Middle Ages as a period of social regress dominated by religion, while Gibbon in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire expressed contempt for the "rubbish of the Dark Ages".[31] "
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_A...istoriography)

Notice the names 'Thomas Jefferson' and 'Thomas Paine'.
    Different topic.

Being opposed to reason in that context, is a diiferent issue than being opposed to science.

Since faith cannot be based on reason, it is utterly unsurprising that Diederot and Spinoza found Church theology and tradition to be outside the bounds of reason.

On the topic of science, the Catholic Church, particularly the Dominican Order and the Jesuits always supported natural philosophy, science, scholarship, the use of reason and skeptical inquiry into the natural world.

Sidebar: the father of genetics was a Catholic monk, and the first person to hypothesize the Big Bang was a Catholic priest trained in astronomy.

12. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post

And here is a picture of Reverend Robert Jeffress at the White House with about 50 other Baptist Preachers of large Baptist Metropolitan First Baptist Churches across the nation in 2017.

Seems you missed posting those of Hillary rallying at black churches.

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RomanDmowski View Post
    Copernicus was a Polish Catholic canon administrator & beyond the heliocentric model, he founded modern economics like the Quantity Theory of Money & Gresham Law.
    Not to mention he commanded a smaller Polish Catholic army to victory against Germans at the Siege of Allenstein.
    Heretic. That's all you really need to know.

"Nicholas Copernicus and Galileo Galilei were two scientists who printed books that later became banned. Copernicus faced no persecution when he was alive because he died shortly after publishing his book. Galileo, on the other hand, was tried by the Inquisition after his book was published. Both scientists held the same theory that the Earth revolved around the sun, a theory now known to be true. However, the Church disapproved of this theory because the Holy Scriptures state that the Earth is at the center, not the Sun. As the contents of the Bible were taken literally, the publishing of these books proved, to the Church, that Copernicus and Galileo were sinners; they preached, through their writing, that the Bible was wrong."
    http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/arti...eligious-world

14. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I just did and it didn't involve any interpretation.

The question is which future resident of Hell are you, the denier or the lukewarm burner?

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Different topic.

Being opposed to reason in that context, is a diiferent issue than being opposed to science.

Since faith cannot be based on reason, it is utterly unsurprising that Diederot and Spinoza found Church theology and tradition to be outside the bounds of reason.

On the topic of science, the Catholic Church, particularly the Dominican Order and the Jesuits always supported natural philosophy, science, scholarship, the use of reason and skeptical inquiry into the natural world.

Sidebar: the father of genetics was a Catholic monk, and the first person to hypothesize the Big Bang was a Catholic priest trained in astronomy.
    I'm going with the Scientists, the ones that don't mind being proved wrong or being able to change their minds.
    You can stick with the Cults of thousands of years ago that believe if you don't believe the same as them, they will kill you.

16. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Your party believes in murder of babies and sexual perversion!
    THIS IS THE REASON WHY YOU IDIOTS LOST THE ELECTION! COMMENTS EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

SO KEEP HELPING ELECT DEMOCRATS! IT'S WORKING GREAT!

JUST SAYIN'!

17. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You represent all that is Holy. You epitomize the Love of Jesus. JPP could not ask for a better representative. You are a Blessing sent to JPP by God Himself.
    I thought you had already made that clear.