1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Bill,

That's why the best case would be if Trump is silenced by a court of law in a prison cell with no chance of making public statements.

Let them stew over that as the last thing they hear about him.

We have got to stand up in this country and denounce hated and misinformation.

This alternative reality nonsense has got to be eliminated.

We have to restore confidence in our government and our country.

This corrosive rhetoric has been brewing for a long time, talking heads on the right have exploited it, made a lot of money off of it, and now we are seeing how dangerous this all was. It is time for America to wake up to this danger and put it down.

The government and the media are not our enemies. Hatred and bitter division are.

A house divided will surely fall.

And a headless figure will just as surely fall.

The headless figure is the country with no effective government, which is what the right seems to want.

We have to have a government, and at this point we have to build respect for our major institutions, the government being the most important.
    Perhaps that is true, do you actually believe that is what will happen?? I most certainly don't, nor would I recommend folks expect it..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,310 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coldjoint View Post
    Wonder who they learned that from?
    It has been an evolution over time from the Republicans.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Perhaps that is true, do you actually believe that is what will happen?? I most certainly don't, nor would I recommend folks expect it..
    I don't know what the future will bring but I do believe that would be the best thing for our country.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yes, they all heard what they wanted to hear, as lyin ted cruz said, he is on every side of every issue & probably a few more.

I fault much of that to their rich & corrupt leadership... Mostly self appointed, no one voted for them... Like franky graham & jerry falwell jr..... The adherents & churches were handed to them, not by God, but by their dads....... A blind man can see the kinda monster these "leaders" handed them over to.....

They are just like the corrupt & evil leaders Jesus confronted......

I highly recommend listening to it & checking out the archives.. Peer pressure is part of the deal... This is one of my favorites Facts Aren't Enough: The Psychology Of False Beliefs
    Great show. I listened to that. Neatly explains how people can believe things that simply are not true. Humans are kind of programmed to do that because the same way we learn things that are true, is the method we can learn things that are not true. It can be very difficult to tell the difference. A lot of it has to do with the source. If a human trusts the source of information, they may not stop to wonder if the information is correct. And if many of their trusted contacts believe a thing, they will tend to believe it even if there is credible evidence that it is not true.

I liked all the examples from history about how false ideas spread in the past, and how sticky some of them can be, even when somebody figured out they were false and tried to tell others what was really true. The others would not believe it because it went against what they wanted to believe.

This is apparent in right wingers. Despite all the evidence that Trump is a chronic liar, if an individual has a lot of friends who support Trump, they will tend to do the same thing.

For an example of how powerful this phenomenon is, we need only look at our 50 individually certified elections. Despite the data that all these elections were officially certified, and Biden won, Trump supporters don't want to believe the truth. They prefer to believe Trump because they trust him. They don't want to believe the State governments because they don't trust government in general. So if Trump tells them the elections were stolen, and all their friends believe Trump, they will believe Trump too. Despite solid concrete evidence that this belief is not true. And further despite all the checks, challenges and court cases which conclude that Biden won.

What a powerful lesson in human nature.

I would recommend everyone find the time to listen to that podcast.

Naturally, since I am a liberal, conservatives should not listen because they don't trust me as a credible source of information. To listen to something a liberal agrees with and approves of, even recommends, would be breaking the 'conservative trust code.' The natural human thing to do is to reject information from a non credible source. Validity of information is up to the recipient.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 01-16-2021 at 07:41 AM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-16-2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tranquillus in Exile (01-16-2021)

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    29%
    is that the part of your brain that you use?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'd be curious to learn the difference between how much America puts into schools and how much the more successful education nations put into theirs.
    uh, we spend more on our schools than almost all of them.......

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Into the Night (01-16-2021)

10. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's not really an anti-government stance to say you want to improve the education system and reform it in the sense you are thinking about. You can find Libertarians that argue the government shouldn't be involved in education at all. But that's not what most people are discussing. The argument for decades has been the structure of the education system is fine, we just need more money. Then we spend more money but don't see the results we want. So we spend more money... rinse, wash and repeat. And just because the gov't spends more money on education doesn't mean it's necessarily being spent well or reaching the classroom. It's why nothing changes. It's why rich people send their kids to private schools or move to rich suburbs.

I've seen it for years in San Francisco. People have money, vote progressively but won't send their kids to diverse SF public schools. More money gets spent on the schools but nothing changes.
    agreed.......spending on schools in Detroit is higher per student than every other school district in Michigan, yet their schools are consistently the worst.......

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Into the Night (01-16-2021), TOP (01-16-2021)

12. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Wo, wait a minute. At what point did we put significantly more money into schools? When did we decide teaching is important and pay teachers more than a carpenter or plumber? At what point did we put an end to poor teachers having to use their own money to properly equip their classrooms? I must have missed where we put more money into schools. And since Republicans control most of this, just which Republicans did this?
    1) school funding is first of all a local issue......
    2) the DoE was started in 1980......
    3) spending on education has always gone up.....
    https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/b.../edhistory.pdf

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Into the Night (01-16-2021)

14. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's why the best case would be if Trump is silenced by a court of law in a prison cell with no chance of making public statements.
    lol.....and they say that the left does not want to stifle speech......

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-16-2021), Into the Night (01-16-2021)

16. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Hello cawacko,

Wo, wait a minute. At what point did we put significantly more money into schools? When did we decide teaching is important and pay teachers more than a carpenter or plumber? At what point did we put an end to poor teachers having to use their own money to properly equip their classrooms? I must have missed where we put more money into schools. And since Republicans control most of this, just which Republicans did this?
    If you’ve missed the increased spending in education over the past couple of decades, especially in poorer urban areas, then no disrespect but that’s on you. At a certain point you have to pay attention and remained informed. (And that comment can apply to me on a number of issues so I’m not saying it holier than thou.). And if you aren’t familiar with why when spending increases yet teachers still have to pay for supplies then again, that info’s out there.

The problem is viewing this from strictly a Democrat/Republican perspective which is what you’re doing here. That doesn’t solve real problems

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

18. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    1) school funding is first of all a local issue......
    2) the DoE was started in 1980......
    3) spending on education has always gone up.....
    https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/b.../edhistory.pdf
    More resources are almost always going to be better than less resources, but the reality is we don’t have unlimited resources. And to people who share Poli’s mindset it’s rarely ever about how well do we use the resources we have as opposed to no matter what we do the answer is always “we need more”

19. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If you’ve missed the increased spending in education over the past couple of decades, especially in poorer urban areas, then no disrespect but that’s on you. At a certain point you have to pay attention and remained informed. (And that comment can apply to me on a number of issues so I’m not saying it holier than thou.). And if you aren’t familiar with why when spending increases yet teachers still have to pay for supplies then again, that info’s out there.

The problem is viewing this from strictly a Democrat/Republican perspective which is what you’re doing here. That doesn’t solve real problems
    Pure deflection. Doesn't answer my question.

20. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

21. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

lol.....and they say that the left does not want to stifle speech......
    She's a nasty evil fascist cunt, surely that's not even contestable.

22. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

is that the part of your brain that you use?.....
    Actually that's how big your rabble is

23. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

Pure deflection. Doesn't answer my question.
    No Poli, it's not deflection. Often I'm happy to post links, data and info but if you really aren't aware of the amount of money we've spent on education then it's not worth my time. If you're interested then you'll read about it. And if you don't want to read, for example, that money goes to administrators and not the classroom and that's why teachers pay for their own supplies, then again its on you.

At a certain you have to have interest in the topic.