1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Bill,

Great show. I listened to that. Neatly explains how people can believe things that simply are not true. Humans are kind of programmed to do that because the same way we learn things that are true, is the method we can learn things that are not true. It can be very difficult to tell the difference. A lot of it has to do with the source. If a human trusts the source of information, they may not stop to wonder if the information is correct. And if many of their trusted contacts believe a thing, they will tend to believe it even if there is credible evidence that it is not true.

I liked all the examples from history about how false ideas spread in the past, and how sticky some of them can be, even when somebody figured out they were false and tried to tell others what was really true. The others would not believe it because it went against what they wanted to believe.

This is apparent in right wingers. Despite all the evidence that Trump is a chronic liar, if an individual has a lot of friends who support Trump, they will tend to do the same thing.

For an example of how powerful this phenomenon is, we need only look at our 50 individually certified elections. Despite the data that all these elections were officially certified, and Biden won, Trump supporters don't want to believe the truth. They prefer to believe Trump because they trust him. They don't want to believe the State governments because they don't trust government in general. So if Trump tells them the elections were stolen, and all their friends believe Trump, they will believe Trump too. Despite solid concrete evidence that this belief is not true. And further despite all the checks, challenges and court cases which conclude that Biden won.

What a powerful lesson in human nature.

I would recommend everyone find the time to listen to that podcast.

Naturally, since I am a liberal, conservatives should not listen because they don't trust me as a credible source of information. To listen to something a liberal agrees with and approves of, even recommends, would be breaking the 'conservative trust code.' The natural human thing to do is to reject information from a non credible source. Validity of information is up to the recipient.
    There are several that he has produced that go over this phenomena from various angles..

Unfortunately it isn't just trump supporters or conservatives............

Ppl let down their guard & someone easily exploits them.........

We need to question, examine & challenge.. If ppl are not=sheeppl
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    There are several that he has produced that go over this phenomena from various angles..

Unfortunately it isn't just trump supporters or conservatives............

Ppl let down their guard & someone easily exploits them.........

We need to question, examine & challenge.. If ppl are not=sheeppl
    Got that right.

This can happen to anyone because it exploits the very human nature of how a human mind works.

We all need to be constantly questioning if we have things right.

Undoubtedly we all get some things wrong.

The big question is: "How efficient are we at correcting our misconceptions?"
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Got that right.

This can happen to anyone because it exploits the very human nature of how a human mind works.

We all need to be constantly questioning if we have things right.

Undoubtedly we all get some things wrong.

The big question is: "How efficient are we at correcting our misconceptions?"
    Prob not very good.. lol

Questioning & challenging ourselves/beliefs does not come natural for most ppl............
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Prob not very good.. lol

Questioning & challenging ourselves/beliefs does not come natural for most ppl............
    Certainly not for people who are raised to think they have to make their own rules, be financial 'killers' and take what they want.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Certainly not for people who are raised to think they have to make their own rules, be financial 'killers' and take what they want.
    There are others here that have gone down similar paths, although I dunno if we all went the same way.

I was from the 80's pretty conservative in many respects, through the 90's & then bush jr went to war....... I didn't think it made sense.

@ a point I had enough & could go no more & simply left the gop.........

I was not going to the dem party...

But I was still left w/ the problem of what is right/correct & how could I decide & then it dawned on me~The golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you........

Essentially if we would not want it done to us, we should not do it to others...........

It was very liberating.......

6. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

There are others here that have gone down similar paths, although I dunno if we all went the same way.

I was from the 80's pretty conservative in many respects, through the 90's & then bush jr went to war....... I didn't think it made sense.

But I was still left w/ the problem of what is right/correct & how could I decide & then it dawned on me~The golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you........

Essentially if we would not want it done to us, we should not do it to others...........

That has been the guiding principle in my life.

I'm not religious. I have to set my own values.

Whenever I wonder if something is OK, I have always asked myself the simple question: "What if everyone did that? Would it be beneficial for society, or not?"

I always wonder about these jerks with the boom cars. Or the loud bikes and exhaust.

They must be so messed up.

Obviously it would be ridiculous if everyone acted like they do. Totally unworkable.

Can you imagine? Every stoplight a cacophony of intolerable sound levels. And for what?

Gotta wonder if they end up on hearing aids.

7. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

That has been the guiding principle in my life.

I'm not religious. I have to set my own values.

Whenever I wonder if something is OK, I have always asked myself the simple question: "What if everyone did that? Would it be beneficial for society, or not?"

I always wonder about these jerks with the boom cars. Or the loud bikes and exhaust.

They must be so messed up.

Obviously it would be ridiculous if everyone acted like they do. Totally unworkable.

Can you imagine? Every stoplight a cacophony of intolerable sound levels. And for what?

Gotta wonder if they end up on hearing aids.
    Great, IMHO it is a great foundation & pretty basic..

I don't think enough ppl take that second to reflect on that thought, moreLess build upon it

8. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hi Bill,

Great, IMHO it is a great foundation & pretty basic..

I don't think enough ppl take that second to reflect on that thought, moreLess build upon it
    Agreed. Maybe it's a greater awareness. I dunno. I just see we humans as all part of one big collective here on this planet. Very finite. Very fragile. This doesn't exist anywhere else in the universe that we know of. If we screw it up that's it. We are done. It's entirely possible to screw it up. We hold the power to destroy our own habitat. I guess most people never think of such stuff. They think what they do doesn't matter.

But it does. What all of us do, all added up. It does matter. It's up to us whether humanity endures or not. Maybe it is because I am an atheist that I have developed this awareness. Maybe it is dangerous to humanity to think there is a creator/overseer that will cradle you for all eternity after you die. I don't see anything after death. You get this one life that we know of and then that's it. When it's done, it's done. You have your one chance in the here and now to make what you will of your life. I just want to be a good contributing member of the collective. Do my part. Take my share of the burden. If I can do a little extra to make up for those who can't/won't, that's the deal. I am good with that.

I should add that I am not without faith. My faith is in humanity itself. I have to believe that overall, humans are good; and that goodness will prevail over the bad. That can't be proven so I have to take it on faith. That's my faith. We, the people, are who we have to count on. If I can help somebody else see the big picture like I do, great. If not, well, at least I am doing my part. The only reason I can offer for my faith is that is the way it always has been, so it is logical to assume that can continue. If it doesn't, we are all screwed, so it better be. That's why I see it as important to do my part. Each of us should do their own part.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 01-23-2021 at 08:21 AM.

9. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agreed on the philosophy. It's common with Christian religion, but it's a basic human social philosophy. Nobody likes to be fucked with or have their families attacked.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hi Bill,

Agreed. Maybe it's a greater awareness. I dunno. I just see we humans as all part of one big collective here on this planet. Very finite. Very fragile. This doesn't exist anywhere else in the universe that we know of. If we screw it up that's it. We are done. It's entirely possible to screw it up. We hold the power to destroy our own habitat. I guess most people never think of such stuff. They think what they do doesn't matter.

But it does. What all of us do, all added up. It does matter. It's up to us whether humanity endures or not. Maybe it is because I am an atheist that I have developed this awareness. Maybe it is dangerous to humanity to think there is a creator/overseer that will cradle you for all eternity after you die. I don't see anything after death. You get this one life that we know of and then that's it. When it's done, it's done. You have your one chance in the here and now to make what you will of your life. I just want to be a good contributing member of the collective. Do my part. Take my share of the burden. If I can do a little extra to make up for those who can't/won't, that's the deal. I am good with that.

I should add that I am not without faith. My faith is in humanity itself. I have to believe that overall, humans are good; and that goodness will prevail over the bad. That can't be proven so I have to take it on faith. That's my faith. We, the people, are who we have to count on. If I can help somebody else see the big picture like I do, great. If not, well, at least I am doing my part. The only reason I can offer for my faith is that is the way it always has been, so it is logical to assume that can continue. If it doesn't, we are all screwed, so it better be. That's why I see it as important to do my part. Each of us should do their own part.

11. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    I agree completely civics is not taught in schools anymore
    Thanks to "no child left behind".

Dubya that is.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.