Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'How Did We Get Here?' A Call For An Evangelical Reckoning On trump

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf 'How Did We Get Here?' A Call For An Evangelical Reckoning On trump

As fallout continues from the deadly siege on the U.S. Capitol, Ed Stetzer, head of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College, has a message for his fellow evangelicals: it's time for a reckoning.

Evangelicals, he says, should look at how their own behaviors and actions may have helped fuel the insurrection. White evangelicals overwhelmingly supported President Trump in the 2020 election.

Some in the protest crowd raised signs with Christian symbolism and phrases.

"Part of this reckoning is: How did we get here? How were we so easily fooled by conspiracy theories?" he tells NPR's Rachel Martin. "We need to make clear who we are. And our allegiance is to King Jesus, not to what boasting political leader might come next."

In the interview, Stetzer also laments that evangelicals seem to have changed their view of morality in order to support Trump.

"So I think we just need to be honest. A big part of this evangelical reckoning is a lot of people sold out their beliefs," he says.

Here are excerpts from the Morning Edition conversation.

You write that "many evangelicals are seeing Donald Trump for who he is." Do you really think that's true? There have been so many other things that Trump has said and done over the past four to five years that betray Christian values and their support didn't waver. You think this time it's different?

I think it's a fair question and I've been one for years who was saying we need to see more clearly who Donald Trump is and has often not been listened to. But I would say that for many people, the storming of the Capitol, the desecration of our halls of democracy, has shocked and stunned a lot of people and how President Trump has engaged in riling up crowds to accomplish these things. Yeah, I do think so. I think there are some significant and important conversations that we need to have inside of evangelicalism asking the question: What happened? Why were so many people drawn to somebody who was obviously so not connected to what evangelicals believe by his life or his practices or more.

You write that Trump has burned down the Republican Party. What has he done to the evangelical Christian movement?

If you asked today "what's an evangelical?" to most people, I would want them to say: someone who believes Jesus died on the cross for our sin and in our place and we're supposed to tell everyone about it. But for most people they'd say, "Oh, those are those people who are really super supportive of the president no matter what he does." And I don't think that's what we want to be known for. That's certainly not what I want to be known for. And I think as this presidency is ending in tatters as it is, hopefully more and more evangelicals will say, "You know, we should have seen earlier, we should have known better, we should have honored the Lord more in our actions these last four years."

Should ministers on Sunday mornings be delivering messages about how to sort fact from fiction and discouraging their parishioners from seeking truth in these darkest corners of the Internet peddling lies?

Absolutely, absolutely. Mark Noll wrote years ago a book called The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind and he was talking about the lack of intellectual engagement in some corners of evangelicalism.

I think the scandal of the evangelical mind today is the gullibility that so many have been brought into — conspiracy theories, false reports and more — and so I think the Christian responsibility is we need to engage in what we call in the Christian tradition, discipleship. Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life." So Jesus literally identifies himself as the truth, therefore if there ever should be a people who care about the truth it should be people who call themselves followers of Jesus.

But we have failed and I think pulpits and colleges and universities and parachurch ministries and more need to ask the question: How are we going to disciple our people so that they engage the world around them in robust and Christ-like ways and I think part of the evangelical reckoning is we haven't done that well.

Bo Hamby and Kelley Dickens produced and edited the audio story. Heidi Glenn produced it for the Web.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 15 Times in 15 Posts

It wasn't an insurrection.

The only ones making this into a big deal are the lefties because they can't let go of their Trump hate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker For This Post:

Matt Dillon (01-20-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Would you like to update your comment tinker bell??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

OP is a goober.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do you have something to say about the op?? SOmething to add to the topic??

thanks

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

White christian nationalism an insidious parasitic disease that has infected America

Trumpism is, among other things, the latest version of the White Christian Nationalist frame. Echoing the Promised Land story, Trump says he will “take back the country” from the outsiders and invaders who have taken control — immigrants and secularists, Muslims and Mexicans — and then restore it to its rightful owners: “real” (that is, white, Christian) Americans.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    As fallout continues from the deadly siege on the U.S. Capitol, Ed Stetzer, head of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College, has a message for his fellow evangelicals: it's time for a reckoning.

Evangelicals, he says, should look at how their own behaviors and actions may have helped fuel the insurrection. White evangelicals overwhelmingly supported President Trump in the 2020 election.

Some in the protest crowd raised signs with Christian symbolism and phrases.

"Part of this reckoning is: How did we get here? How were we so easily fooled by conspiracy theories?" he tells NPR's Rachel Martin. "We need to make clear who we are. And our allegiance is to King Jesus, not to what boasting political leader might come next."

In the interview, Stetzer also laments that evangelicals seem to have changed their view of morality in order to support Trump.

"So I think we just need to be honest. A big part of this evangelical reckoning is a lot of people sold out their beliefs," he says.

Here are excerpts from the Morning Edition conversation.

You write that "many evangelicals are seeing Donald Trump for who he is." Do you really think that's true? There have been so many other things that Trump has said and done over the past four to five years that betray Christian values and their support didn't waver. You think this time it's different?

I think it's a fair question and I've been one for years who was saying we need to see more clearly who Donald Trump is and has often not been listened to. But I would say that for many people, the storming of the Capitol, the desecration of our halls of democracy, has shocked and stunned a lot of people and how President Trump has engaged in riling up crowds to accomplish these things. Yeah, I do think so. I think there are some significant and important conversations that we need to have inside of evangelicalism asking the question: What happened? Why were so many people drawn to somebody who was obviously so not connected to what evangelicals believe by his life or his practices or more.

You write that Trump has burned down the Republican Party. What has he done to the evangelical Christian movement?

If you asked today "what's an evangelical?" to most people, I would want them to say: someone who believes Jesus died on the cross for our sin and in our place and we're supposed to tell everyone about it. But for most people they'd say, "Oh, those are those people who are really super supportive of the president no matter what he does." And I don't think that's what we want to be known for. That's certainly not what I want to be known for. And I think as this presidency is ending in tatters as it is, hopefully more and more evangelicals will say, "You know, we should have seen earlier, we should have known better, we should have honored the Lord more in our actions these last four years."

Should ministers on Sunday mornings be delivering messages about how to sort fact from fiction and discouraging their parishioners from seeking truth in these darkest corners of the Internet peddling lies?

Absolutely, absolutely. Mark Noll wrote years ago a book called The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind and he was talking about the lack of intellectual engagement in some corners of evangelicalism.

I think the scandal of the evangelical mind today is the gullibility that so many have been brought into — conspiracy theories, false reports and more — and so I think the Christian responsibility is we need to engage in what we call in the Christian tradition, discipleship. Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life." So Jesus literally identifies himself as the truth, therefore if there ever should be a people who care about the truth it should be people who call themselves followers of Jesus.

But we have failed and I think pulpits and colleges and universities and parachurch ministries and more need to ask the question: How are we going to disciple our people so that they engage the world around them in robust and Christ-like ways and I think part of the evangelical reckoning is we haven't done that well.

Bo Hamby and Kelley Dickens produced and edited the audio story. Heidi Glenn produced it for the Web.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    White christian nationalism an insidious parasitic disease that has infected America

Trumpism is, among other things, the latest version of the White Christian Nationalist frame. Echoing the Promised Land story, Trump says he will “take back the country” from the outsiders and invaders who have taken control — immigrants and secularists, Muslims and Mexicans — and then restore it to its rightful owners: “real” (that is, white, Christian) Americans.
    Now many of them feel betrayed by trump............

I hope they are not stupid enough to be surprised........

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

The only ones making this into a big deal are the lefties because they can't let go of their Trump hate.
    It was an insurrection. Your people stormed the Capitol with the intent to halt the US election by force.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TexanManWithPlans For This Post:

CASPER (01-26-2021), Guno צְבִי (01-26-2021)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 766 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 155 Times in 147 Posts

Yes, it was.

Insurrection (noun)

A rising or rebellion of citizens against their government, usually manifested by acts of violence.

Under federal law, it is a crime to incite, assist, or engage in such conduct against the United States.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no worries For This Post:

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 2,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 404 Times in 391 Posts

be honest and answer one question- if it was not insurrection, which is defined as "an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government," then why did the mob BREAK INTO THE CAPITOL, search for legislators, chant Hang Mike Pence, threaten to kill Pelosi, while they were making the result of the fair election final and establish Biden as the newly elected President?

what the hell would you call it?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier Daddy For This Post:

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

The courts haven't ruled on it yet, but it smells like insurrection. Many of the participants declared they were kicking off the civil war. Even STY said it was the start of a civil war where they take back our country and restore Trump to the Presidency.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Now many of them feel betrayed by trump............

I hope they are not stupid enough to be surprised........
    True, and now some are focusing on the person who betrayed them. Could be interesting to see Dr. Frankenstein confront his monster.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-27-2021)

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

The whole world knows it was an insurrection broken by the incompetence of the plotters, as was to be expected. Stop your nazi driveling just a moment once in a way, give yourself a chance to think like an unbrainwashed human being.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

How did we get here? .
    how did we get three conservative SC justices?.........how did we get the first four years without a new war starting for the first time in decades.........how did we get to expanded opportunities for minorities?.......good question......how is it evangelicals "can disciple our people so they engage the world in robust and Christ-like ways".........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”